“Brilliant venue”

The Ship Inn Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ship Inn Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 105 Restaurants in Rye
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hemel Hempstead
“Brilliant venue”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We booked here as it was a dog friendly venue and we were not disappointed. We enjoyed our meal and the general ambiance so much we booked again for the following evening.

Placed right near the bottom of Mermaid Street it is a good location. We booked both nights, which was effective and worked well. There was plenty of room for our labrador to lie down and chill, while we had tasty food and drinks.

The menu had a good mix. The fish pie came and was rated really highly. I had the butternut squash ravioli which was also delicious.

I would recommend visitors to Rye dropped into this gem of a pub, and they are also very dog friendly which was great.

1 Thank Crystal49

London, United Kingdom
“A very expensive and not great breakfast”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We sat meekly for 15 minutes to get a menu after asking for one, before giving up and going to get it ourselves, so that should have warned us what was coming. I then waited 20 minutes for eggs royale - by which time my kids had long finished their cereals and were getting seriously tetchy. The place had only 2 other tables dining, so there was no excuse - the staff at this place really need a rocket up them, at least the ones serving on the morning of 29 July do. The muffin it came on was stale and tough, though the menu professes that all bread comes from some local artisan baker.

A glass of CARTON juice for each of my children was a staggering £3.50, so that was £7!! I would have baulked at that for freshly squeezed, but for carton juice that is really taking the mickey.

Apart from that, I quite liked the decor, unlike many other reviewers, but I won't be back. I'm so annoyed that I wasted one of our holiday breakfasts at this place when Rye has so many great places to eat.

• Visited July 2014
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Very average Good Pub Guide Pub”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

It was 2pm when we had lunch so the staff were a bit tired and so not overly helpful. The table server was very pleasant and helpful. My father drinks bitter and he said that the beer was not very well kept-he's an ex-publican and so should know (plus he likes a good pint!!). The food was good (Club Sandwich and Chips) which we shared as we were booked for dinner at our hotel that evening and we enjoyed it.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Curate's egg, but where it was good, it was very good”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Had Sunday lunch here with a large family group. Most of the food was very good - nothing exotic (the menu was encouragingly small - always a good sign) but lots of great fresh local seafood, as fish pies and fish and chips. Puddings let things down a bit - chocolate mousses were good but ridiculously large, and the crème brulees had somehow failed to set. When we sent the latter back there was no fuss, we got to keep the delicious saffron shortbread that came with them, and we weren't charged - and got free coffee, without asking. The house white wine deserves a mention, it was really good, much better than we'd expected.

The real standout here was the service. The waiter who looked after us was very friendly and helpful, and she had the miraculous (in the UK) ability of remembering who ordered what - without writing it down. I don't know if the rest of the staff are as good, but this was some of the nicest service I've had recently.

Other reviewers have commented, often negatively, on the décor. The place is not, as you might think from the name, an old pub. It is a converted warehouse, just across the road from Rye Harbour. The interior design is all a bit Mumford and Sons meet Orla Kiely (the latter more of an influence upstairs), so I can see why some reviewers think it's a bit of a dump (if so, a carefully designed and deliberately constructed one) and others, lovers of the Bill's chain, perhaps, will think it's cool and quirky. Either way, don't let it put you off, there's some fine food on offer here. I would have preferred to be able to give a 3.5 review, but can't, so 4 it is, carried by the service.

• Visited July 2014
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Interesting decor but Good food”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Think you would describe the interior of this pub restaurant as shabby chic, but I think it does need a bit of Facelift not too much though! Service was excellent as was the food, but wine was rather pricey £6 a glass! Overall a pleasant experience but quite expensive for a pub/ restaurant....

1 Thank lynnefrances