“Really lovely place to stay.”

The Hope Anchor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Rye
London, United Kingdom
“Really lovely place to stay.”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

My boyfriend and I have just had a really wonderful weekend at the Hope Anchor. We were upgraded into a beautiful apartment room with a beautiful bathroom and lovely views over the surrounding countryside. A three course dinner with a bottle of wine was included in our room rate on both nights and the food was just amazing! Really fresh, delicious seafood and very generous portions. Breakfast was amazing too. The service was great - really friendly and personal. I will definitely be recommending the hotel to friends and am planning to book my parents a weekend there as a present next christmas!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Greek first
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Lovely rooms, full of character. Location is good, with amazing views over Romney Marsh and surrounding countryside. Great restaurant, with delicious food.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carolinemoira49
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I really felt compelled to join this site to talk about the amazing experience my girlfriend and I just had at The Hope Anchor.

We were upgraded, and offered a great deal on amazing meals without even being asked. The hotel was beautiful and we loved every minute of it.

The food was great - great full-English in the morning, pheasant, smoked salmon and cheese cake in the evening. Quaint and beautiful, just like Rye.

Would definitely recommend to a friend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2011

From the moment we walked into this unique hotel on one June Saturday afternoon, we knew that this was going to be the most perfect venue for our winter wedding reception. The staff and organisation in preparation for our wedding day was beyond excellent from meeting our co-ordinator Hannah through to tasting the varied menu from the amazing chief. We were impressed by the efforts and detail that that the staff went to to meet our wishes and to accommodate our guests special diets, individual timings and personal needs with their family groups.
I was half tempted not to talk too much about this place to keep it my secret location but I am still beaming with the memories of the wedding day and how the staff at the Hope and Anchor made it so perfect.

As the couple we purchased all the rooms for the Saturday night for our guests which was affordable with out modest budget and the hotel offered our guests a discounted rate for bed breakfast and evening meal on the Friday night. This made the wedding so intimate and personalised as most of our guests came to Rye after work on the Friday and we took over the Hotel until the Sunday.

The hospitality from the hotel was so warm and generous and extended to our friends and family leading up to our wedding when we "popped in" to show people or discuss our plans, we were always offered a drink.

Rye is a lovely town and this hotel sits beautifully within it. Each room is different and have wonderful views and we enjoyed choosing the rooms for each of our guests.
My guests loved the rooms and the beds and said that they were amazed by how full of taste and how beautifully presented the food was with very good portion sizes.

As it happened, we got married in Rye Town Hall as we wanted the Town Crier to present us to the town after the ceremony and walk us to the Hotel which he did to a perfectly timed champagne reception. I understand that there maybe opportunities in the future to also get married there.

One of the unique aspects of this hotel is that it was small enough to completely take over yet big enough for everyone to have their own space. There is a lovely bar for chatting and drinking, a comfortable seated area for people to chat and catch-up and also a good sized room to sit everyone together for dinner and plenty of dancing space and for a band.

My guests have nothing but praise for the staff and in particular Hannah who seemed to attend to everyones needs individually and professionally and without effort appeared to know everyone personally. I even asked for a few surprises to be arranged and she completed these with no fuss. I have nothing but praise for this hotel and even if there was a problem, they rectified it so quickly it was unnoticeable.

Although it made an amazing venue for our December Wedding, when we were visiting there in the Summer, I watched wedding which looked equally magical. If you are not getting married but are looking for a unique place to stay whether it be a family break or romantic get away, I highly recommend this hotel. Keep an eye on the website because there are some amazing offers especially thorough the quieter months which make it even more tempting (I am!).

Room Tip: To be honest, the higher priced rooms are worth more but if you have less of a budget, you will not...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smugsmiles
Texas
Reviewed 25 December 2011

This was my second stay at the Hope Anchor. This time I stayed in the Outlook room on the top floor. When I arrived, which was before the normal check-in time, my room was ready so I was able to go right up. After a 9 plus hour flight and an almost 3 hour delay to leave the airport (my ride was delayed due to road closure from traffic accident), being able to have my room early was a huge relief and much appreciated. Magda checked me in and carried my HEAVY suitcase up. Not easy and I was very grateful. The room had lovely views, a comfortable bed and a very large bathroom. Breakfast was very good and the waitress was sweet and attentive but not intrusive. I feel bad that I didn't get her name. I had a wonderful stay and the staff were helpful, friendly and efficient. I hope to stay again next year.

Room Tip: If you don't mind stairs, want a view of Watchbell Street and Camber Castle, and a big bathroom...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank cleve66
Redcliffe, Australia
Reviewed 20 December 2011

We stayed in the Fisherman's cottage around the side of the hotel. Hotel is warm, welcoming and spotlessly clean. Wonderful views over the countryside and Camber Castle. Rye was of course just beautiful with cobblestone streets and nooks and crannies begging to be explored! Staff were helpful without being obtrusive and the tea/coffee facilities in the rooms are great (and much missed now we are on the Continent). Easy to find and easy to get to all the sites around Rye.

Room Tip: Cottage was great - there was four of us and it was snug but great to be away from the main hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KandKAustralia
south coast
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Third visit and just as good as before. Great package on offer, lovely room views and superb restaurant. The staff are excellent, cannot fault this place for value.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple