“Friendly service with great food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hope Anchor Hotel

The Hope Anchor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Rye
hailsham
“Friendly service with great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Having just spent a week at this lovely historic hotel I cannot praise it too highly.
Set high up on the cobbled streets the views are amazing and there are residents parking bays outside for which the hotel can supply a limited amount of permits.
Nothing is too much trouble for the friendly staff and they really go the extra mile to please, no matter what department they work in.
The food is good local produce with a varied selection to suit all palates and there are also daily specials . Vegetarians are not forgotten either.
The special offers include dinner and wine and are really good value.
Only downside all week was a non-resident trying to make a booking who threatened to write a bad review of the Hope Anchor unless he was given a substantial discount.
Surely Trip Advisor would not allow this if the person had not stayed at the hotel ?
Thoroughly recommended and it was noticeable that most of the guests were returning for their 4th or more time. This says it all.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have amazing views across the marshes to Camber Castle. Some 4 poster beds are...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Greek first
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Wanted to stay here, however was put off when I spoke to them as the person I spoke to was discouraging and had no authority to take decisions.

When I asked about the hotel parking I was told that contrary to the description on internet booking sites the parking is not hotel parking but a public car park with no guarantee of getting a space, although it is free - I was encouraged quite strongly that I should not expect to be abe to park there ("we have a lot of guests that day" "Rye will be quite busy").

When I asked about the price I was quoted £150 per room per night. I asked them to match the internet price of £135 and the person I spoke to said they had no authority to do that, only the hotel director could and he would not be available until this evening.

I gave up and booked another hotel in Rye.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank onlyhere4thebeer
CambridgeHawkeye, General Manager at The Hope Anchor Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I was going to justify our position and explain actually what had happened in your conversation with my staff, but I think I'll abstain and direct any readers to your trip advisor name and let them make up their own minds. Hope you enjoy your stay in Rye.
Chris George
Hotel Director
Kingston on Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I wanted a quiet break in a good location at a reasonable price - the Hope Anchor delivered on all counts. We stayed in the upstairs apartment a minute's walk away, which has a great view, lots of space, and is furnished in fresh, light colours. It was quiet (apart from a curious, and fortunately brief problem with wind whistling around the chimney above), and in one of the best and lesser trodden locations in bustling Rye. Parking was no problem as we were given a permit.
Service is efficient and friendly.
This was our first visit to Rye and we will go again - 2 days isn't enough to explore the quaint town and the surrounding area. I have rated this accommodation as excellent because as a package it would be very hard to beat, so I'm sure we'll try to stay there next time.
The one thing I would suggest - not being a fan of red meat - would be a minor extension of dinner menu options - a salad option would be good and perhaps a regular of lemon or Dover sole - with supplementary charges if necessary?. I did try one of the veggie options but it was too stodgy for my taste. Also the chips served were not tasty, there is no excuse for this, but it's amazing how many places fail to do something as simple as serving a good plate of freshly cooked chips.

The above comments however do not take away from the overall high standard of the whole experience. The dinner inclusive (with very good house wine) package does make it hard to cut loose and dine elsewhere. Maybe next time we will trot down the cobbles one evening to sample another local eatery - there are plenty of options.

2 Thank Lisa-Lan
Malvern
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights last week and loved my stay. I arrived and was shown to my beautiful room (The Crows Nest) by a friendly receptionist. Unfortunately, due to the awful weather, my T.V. was not working but I was immediately offered another room. I decided to stay put as my room had a bath & shower and figured I could manage a night without TV. The room was warm, cosy and beautifully clean. All the complimentaries you would expect we're in place. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet.

I ate out on the first night at the George and was left feeling slightly disappointed, so decided to eat at the hotel on night 2. It was so good I ate there again on night 3, something I rarely do. I needed breakfast earlier than the official start time but nothing was too much trouble for the friendly and attentive staff and a full breakfast duly arrived and was excellent.
As a lone remain traveller, I enjoyed being able to relax in the welcoming cosy bar, without feeling intimidated, chatting with fellow visitors and staff alike.

I would not hesitate in returning for business or pleasure and can wholeheartedly recommend this lovely little hotel. Excellent!

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Ali C
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Some might say third time lucky - in this case no luck is required. Yes it is our third stay and we booked Apartment B - which is just across the cobbled street from the main hotel. This isn't a room it truly is a suite with every facility one could need - comfortable bed and bedroom with TV and radio, bar, complimentary coffee, tea and biscuits, a separate dressing room, and what we would call a 'snug' which has 2 chairs which convert into beds (no doubt there for use when apartment is sleeping 3 or 4) and yet another TV, luxury bathroom with shower above bath but a good shower. Triple aspect windows offer wonderful views across Rye to the estuary and across Rye to Winchelsea. We once again booked in for the two-night winter deal at £110.00 per couple per choice of room to include 3 course dinner with a bottle of wine and full breakfast. The dinner menus are varied and the breakfast freshly cooked on order with an excellent cold buffet if required fully stocked with choice of fruit juices, pastries, fruits, yoghurts and cereals. Every single member of staff are a delight to meet and are courteous and helpful - couldn't be better. Fortunately we have booked again for the end of March - can't wait - let's hope though that the howling gales and heavy rain will have ceased by then! The Hope Anchor is a must and I'm not surprised to note that, even in winter in this quaint little town, the sign said 'no vacancies'.

1 Thank Jane P
Maldon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

We booked a two-night mid-week break on the recommendation of our friends (e.g. bed/breakfast and evening meal with wine), which was excellent value and tasty too.
The hotel had good parking facilities, we were given a "resident parking ticket" on arrival.
We took our two labradors with us and were given the Sanky Suite, this was just ideal with a small lounge area as well as a large bedroom and en-suite.
We didn't use the car for the duration of our trip, walking to Camber Sands was a great walk, all off-road and mainly along the beach, dogs loved the sand dunes and the breaking waves.
Hotel was warm, homely and cosy, staff were very friendly and efficient, everything was perfect for a short break (the dogs were made to feel welcome too with treats from the bar-man) - thank you

2 Thank PAULINESHAUN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We planed to come to Rye for a long weekend, my first port of call was trip advisor to see the hotel ratings, The Hope Anchor Hotel came out as first choice, I can say it has lived up to its excellent rating!
My husband booked the 'winter deal' of £110 per couple any room, B&B evening meal and a bottle of wine! We booked the junior suite with the roll top bath (sitting under the window) in the bedroom!! Lovely room, very comfortable bed, spotlessly clean.
The breakfast had all the choice we needed, always cooked and presented well. The evening meal always had specials to choose from and a varied menu. There is an impressive choice of house wine to complement the meal too!!
Every member of staff were attentive, courteous and friendly throughout our stay, nothing was too much trouble for them. They were kind enough to offer my husband and myself a complimentary drink to celebrate my birthday!
So, if you are looking to stay in Rye, choose the Hope Anchor Hotel, you will not be disappointed....

Room Tip: Room 23... Junior suite, roll top bath under the window in the bedroom!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple