“Faultless”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Rye
London
“Faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We had a delightful stay. Our room, a junior suite, was wonderful. Plenty of space and very tastefully decorated. The welcome on our arrival was friendly.

Our evening meal was excellent. My starter was just superb. My wife had a fish soup that she absolutely adored. We took a drink back to our room. Breakfast the next morning was just as good.

We did have to park a short walk away, but the hotel make no secret of this fact on their website.

I am surprised that other reviewers found the staff unfriendly. We thought the opposite and were very satisfied with the level of service.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
GeorgeinRye, Guest Relations Manager at The George in Rye, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you very much! Excellent Feedback!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I've just had a fantastic stay at The George in Rye with my wife. After reading reviews about miserable staff, average food and steep staircases we were a little apprehensive about our stay. From the first contact at reception (Garry) through every member of staff, the impression was friendly and professional. I don't understand how reviewers can dismiss staff so easily. We saw the same staff from our arrival (mid afternoon), into the evening and through to breakfast, which just shows how incredibly hard they all work, yet they still managed to remain courteous, even when one resident ordered them to bring pastries to their table at breakfast time, despite being capable to get them themselves! Other reviewers mentioned noisy rooms, creaky stairs etc. Yes, we heard people in other rooms, but the building is over 300 years old! You'd creak at that age! If you want a noiseless environment try checking into a faceless modern hotel instead. Food - we had great tasting food in the restaurant for the evening - potted shrimp pate, hot gambas and seabass for mains, all excellent, as was the breakfast. Even the cocktails in the bar, pre-dinner were great, on a par with The Grand Hotel Bar in Brighton. The biggest problem with the George in Rye is tearing yourself away! We only booked for one night, we needed a week! Hopefully we'll easily get a room, as all the grumpy, fussy, moaning reviewers will book into Faceless Manor.com

• Stayed January 2012
GeorgeinRye, Owner at The George in Rye, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thanks very much for your review and for backing the architectural quirks of such an old building. Very glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully see you for a couple more nights next time!
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at The George in Rye and I always leave with a tear in my eye ;0(

The staff are always courteous and attentive upon arrival and whisk you up to your room within minutes. The rooms are spotless with a modern/old fashioned twist and the bathrooms are always stocked up with REN products. The bar and restaurant are located at the front of the hotel so you must wind your way through the corridors and terraced garden to get there (which is fun as you can peek through the other guests' windows and see what the rooms are like).

In the restaurant there's a small but adequate menu that caters for everyone's tastes. The bar serves up a decent raft of spirits and local beer and the service is knowledgable and friendly.

I also highly recommend going downstairs for breakfast (rather than taking it in your room) and sitting in the window seat to watch the town of Rye wakeup and go about it's business.

MARVELLOUS!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for that - trusting those are tears of joy?! Lovely writeup, glad you had fun.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Myself, my husband and a couple of friends booked the one night New Year's Eve package, including the 1950's themed New Year's Eve Dinner and Dance, accommodation and breakfast. We had stayed at The George back in Easter and were very impressed with all aspects of the hotel so were keen to go back with friends.

The hotel was beautifully decorated for the festive season and all members of staff that we encountered were professional and welcoming. The accommodation in the standard rooms in the main building we had booked, although quite small, were tastefully furnished and very comfortable, with a nice touch of an optional evening turndown service. The New Year's Eve cocktail party and dinner were reasonable value for money and did not disappoint and the 1950's band were excellent. Breakfast the next day was relaxed with a good selection of fruit, pastries and hot dishes. One of our friends was particularly impressed by the pears poached in cinnamon from the buffet table - absolutely delicious!

All in all a great stay in a lovely hotel with good food and service. I will definitely be returning to The George again.

Room Tip: Take a look at the new roooms with their own courtyard terraces - fantastic in the summer months.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Very lovely to see that your new year kicked off to a good start at The George. The pears in cinnamon are proving to be very popular - forget corflakes - this is the sort of thing that should be part of breakfast every day of the year!
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

We had a nice stay and meal at the George Hotel which is conveniently located right on the main shopping street in Rye. The drawback is the nearest car park is a short walk away. We stayed in room 41 which was lovely, with a sumptuous bathroom and huge bed. The staff were efficient, but possibly due to it being busy, there was a general lack of empathy and personal service. I wouldn’t let that put you off though. It is still a very pleasant hotel in a very picturesque historic Sussex town.

Room Tip: We loved room 41. It has a huge bathroom and bed with a quiet little patio area outside. It is split...
2 Thank Maisondememe
Thanks for your review and glad you liked the hotel - we've responded about the parking on other reviews below, so won't add any more here for risk of boring until kingdom come!
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I arrived at the hotel at a few minutes to 3 (their guaranteed check in time) I was told that the room wasn’t ready and would have to wait. This didn’t bother me but when I returned 20 minutes late the receptionists huffed at me spoke to their housekeeping department who confirmed the room was ready. As the receptionist went to get the keys the reception supervisor told me that the rooms aren’t guaranteed and was very rude in making her point that I arrived early. Now I can understand that I was a few minutes early but to be huffed at 20 minutes after 3 o’clock and by a supervisor didn’t get my stay off to the best start. As I walked to my room I did notice how wonderfully the hotel was decorated and you can see how much care and attention has gone into it. I arrived to the room and was pleasantly surprised. I had a spacious room with the most comfy armchair which was a delight to sit, relax and read away. However, whilst the receptionist was explaining the different components of the room I could distinctly smell marijuana or ‘pot’ as the youngsters are calling it these days. I was appalled; I couldn’t believe that a hotel that had been decorated and maintained in such a high standard could let their report with their customers slip so easily. I dined in the restaurant that evening and what a delight the food was but again their staff let them down. I had to try and explain my choice three or four times before they understood. Don’t they learn the menu and food they are serving?
I can honestly say that I wouldn’t recommend nor return to the George just due to the appalling service I received.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jill s
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Just spent Christmas at the George. Highly recommended and therefore the disappointment was great. We bought into the Christmas package and on booking were expecting a Spanish themed Christmas eve - this did not happen - not only that but the food on offer was only fish and the more scavenger type fish - mackerel, sardines etc..Offered the toughest steak - so very disappointed but looked forward to Christmas meal. It was terrible - like a bad work canteen meal and it just went from bad to worse. This took the edge off the stay. The manager on duty was so lovely though and extremely apologetic (he gave us a bottle of wine) but you got the feeling he knew the catering was not going well.

On the good side - it is a cute place to stay and very central and Rye is lovely. I think they were over subscribed for Christmas lunch and understaffed - so this is probably a blip but not a chance that I would care to take to stay again

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family