“Almost perfect!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Rye
Kent
“Almost perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

My Husband and I decided to stay at the George for our anniversary after a recommendation from friends. We have now decided to go back every year!

The George is a quintessentially English hotel, set in an old harbour town by the seaside. It is full of character, warmth and charm – a real eclectic mix of old and new. The reception is a small desk in the front lobby, surrounded by retro prints of the Beatles. Look to the left and there is a huge open fire with old chairs and oil paintings. The hotel has 24 bedrooms of varying size, each with its own personality and character. We chose Room 9. This was a luxury room and we decided to choose it because of the lovely 4 poster bed ‘ideal for an afternoon of watching DVD’s’ which was our aim of the weekend.

We were greeted with a smile on arrival and were wished a Happy Anniversary. This was a nice touch and I was quite surprised the receptionist remembered as I had told her of this when I booked the room before Christmas. I was later to discover that my Husband had arranged some flowers for our arrival so that was how she knew!!!! The receptionists both had an informal, friendly approach which I found really familiar and settling.

We were shown up to our room – which was like a mystery tour in itself. The age of the hotel dictates that corridors are windy, with beams and sloping floors. It was lovely. Our room was more like a mini suite. We were greeted by a six foot four poster bed, with wonderful old, solid furniture. The sitting area had a lovely sofa with an array of magazines and books to help you relax with that Sunday morning cup of coffee. The bathroom was spacious. A lovely deep bath looked very inviting and the accessories were very nice. There was a separate dressing area, with a small wardrobe (containing robes).

The small touches like having our bed turned down while we were out of the room, the radio playing classical music on arrival and the tea and coffee facilities being that little bit more extravagant made the room all the more extra special.

The overall décor of the hotel, including the room, is neutral but very fresh. It really is a lovely place to relax.

So, there were a couple of negative points which didn’t ruin the stay but could have made it perfect. These points were all centred on the food/restaurant service.

We had arranged an afternoon tea on our arrival, which we had a table reserved for in the small lounge. When we sat down we overheard a couple next to us say that their order had been taken but nothing had arrived. We then had two people try to take our order and again we did have to wait a while for our afternoon tea. Luckily we were in no rush but it left a very small gap between this and our early dinner.

At dinner, we had again booked a table and when we arrived the waitress didn’t seem to be able to find our booking. She told us someone else would be with us. After waiting a few minutes, we were shown to a snuggly end of a banquette, which was divine and put us at ease immediately. Our drinks order was taken, delivered and then tried to be taken again. When we pointed out the drinks were on the table, the waiter walked away instead of asking us if we were ready to order food. So we had to wait a while, but once our order had been taken the food arrived in a fairly reasonable time. We waited slightly longer than usual but a lot of the food is cooked to order. We both had a starter and main – which were delicious. My Husband had a desert but I was too full to eat one! We were also sat for a long time before my Husband had to get up and ask for our bill.

At breakfast we came down near the end of service, however the restaurant was still surprisingly busy. Once again, there was slight confusion and two people tried to show us to a table. Our order wasn’t taken that quickly and the service was quite slow. We also witnessed one couple be seated and then had to ask if their order could be taken as they had been there a while.

All in all, I think the restaurant is trying to promote an informal, laid back approach that is in keeping with the hotel. However, all this seemed to produce is a lack of direction from the senior staff and a disappointing level of service altogether in this area.

The hotel offers comments cards and the opportunity for someone to reply so we hope there is some feedback from ours. As you will have noticed at the beginning, I mention that we will be going back.

The points I make above are in no way a bad reflection of the hotel and I would certainly not want them to put people off, however it seems that one area needs to be highlighted and that is it. The only other issue I had with our stay was that our room overlooked the corner of the High Street so I was awoken a few times by late night revellers. That is nothing the hotel can control and I would not even think of complaining about it!

There is no free parking but there are plenty of car parks close by. The station car park is £4.80 for 24 hours, or the cattle shed market is £1.50 for 24 hours (sadly we found the station car park first!!)

I hope if you choose to stay at the George you have just a good time as we did.

Room Tip: Review the website, all the rooms have a good description and if you book early enough you can reque...
3 Thank kelembee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
Tadworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

This is a really lovely place. The reception staff are extremely helpful and efficient, getting us extra water for our room when we'd run out etc. Bed was lovely, sheets crisp. We had a standard room, which was a little on the small side - if we'd been staying longer than a weekend, I may well have unpacked properly and made use of the drawers, but as it was, it felt like our clothes were all over the place, and bag shoved under the dressing table as it was the only place it would fit! "wardrobe" was a corner of the room that had doors across it, so it wasn't spacious by any means. None of this marred our stay though. BUT, anyone who has room 5 and stays in the winter beware - the bathroom is FREEEEEEEZING!!! It was the coldest weekend of the year, and snowing. It's a gally bathroom, so even though there's a towel rail and fan heater at one end to keep you warm whilst you're on the loo, at the sink and shower end there's nothing. I didn't want to have to go in there unless absolutely necessary!
Hotel was very quiet overall, although the grill and pub were busy. The service by some of the staff were outstanding - you can imagine wanting to have a light lunch, and not being able to find a table frustrating when you're staying there, but we were directed to a table in front of the fire that was reserved, but not for another hour or so - nice touch.
Breakfast was lovely - good choice, well presented, and the grill itself is a fabulous setting. We ate there on the Friday night, and our only complaint was that one of the waiting staff obviously wasn't au fe with wine pouring etiquette, and we ended up essentially with half a bottle of chablis each in our glasses!
We would definitely recommend, and return, although I think we'd put a request in not to have room 5.......

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
GeorgeinRye, Guest Relations Manager at The George in Rye, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Oh loyal guest of The George, Thank you!
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here last minute after our self catering booking in nearby Camber went horribly wrong (thanks Bramley and Teal!). It's a lovely old building and the room we had, although a tad pricey, was lovely and very cosy. Very quirky features, full of period charms but also all the modern comforts you need and little luxuries like Teapig tea and Ren toiletries. The restaurant was good too with a solid wine list and some very interesting and well executed dishes, while the morning's cooked breakfast was superb. Only minor blot was the somewhat haphazard service in the restaurant which was at odds with the rest of the hotel where the staff we superb, particularly at reception. Also the parking was carnage. Rye itself was wonderful; lovely little shops, clean, historic and friendly - and a little bit snooty at times if I'm really honest. But to be fair Rye's locals have a lot to be proud and protective of and we'd come back back to both town and hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much! We are delighted by your comments!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We were really looking to a belated valentines treat with no children. The arrivals and book in were fine with and attentive receptionist. The car park was close enough not to fuss about. The hotel was very clean and well decorated. Our room, (10) in the attic was execellent, the bed very comfortable and the roll top bath superb! A quick drink in the bar began the bad service experience. There were three behind the bar but only one serving with a long queue - one bar men was more interested in lighting all the candles for the table rather than serving people. Only when he had finished lighting 20 candles did he think of asking me whether I wanted serving - not good. The food in the restaurant was good but agin the service poor. Staff were indifferent and not paying attention when we ordered and we had to say what we wanted a couple of times. This attitude was replicated at breakfast. It should not take ten minutes to bring a pot of tea and coffee! The full English was ok but nothing special. The boiled eggs were too hard which is not an issue but when the waitress specifically asks whether my partner wanted soft, medium or hard eggs, you expect them to come as ordered. The service was summed up when the boiled eggs arrived - the waitress put the plate down clumsily knocking both eggs out of the egg cups and then walked off leaving my partner to put them back in the egg cups. If the George wants to live up to it's reputation as one of the best boutique hotels it absolutely must improve it's service an the attitude of staff.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Mithrandir1967
Thank you for your comments some great and some not so good! We are, obviously, very proud of our hotel & the beautifully individually designed rooms and, sadly, the service has not met your expectations but we do appreciate you taking the time to let us know. I apologise for the inconsistencies and can assure you that your review has been highlighted and addressed within the hotel and I can assure you that customer service is our main focus always and so any feedback is there to help us improve!
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Friendly efficient check-in.Extremely comfortable bed in a very pleasant room.The private table outside would be a joy in warmer days. Very quiet at night.Tea and coffee making facilities good. Room and bathroom both well appointed and very clean. I loved the shower!

Very good food in the evening was somewhat marred by the length of time the main course took to arrive. Thank heavens we had ordered a shared starter to keep us going.Service at breakfast was a bit hit and miss although food was good. Its not rocket science to serve a pot of tea for 2 fairly quickly.

Overall a very pleasant stay.which was reasonably priced with KGB offer, but would be a bit overpriced at normal prices

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! Very helpful.... sorry the tea took so long as you are right in saying that it isn't rocket science. Wonderful comments on Reception... They will be very pleased to hear!

Many thanks for choosing The George!
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

This trip was a valentine surprize for my husband purchased through groupon.
First impressions i loved every chair lamp picture cushion.The George was perfect for our relaxing trip.Check in was fine we were a couple of hours early so i kind of knew we wouldnt be shown our room but the receptionist did look on the computer.We left our bag there and went to get some lunch.It was 12.00 so not busy.Unfortunatly this was the one aspect where the George really need to pull things together.We were ignored by the bar man so i went to sit down then thought better of it and asked if it was ok to get some lunch.The guy was polite enough but didnt bring us menus or come and take a drinks order.A couple came in with there baby and sat at the next table.The waiter bought them a highchair took a drinks order and gave them menus and still we sat there.The maitra d ignored us as did a young waitress and then another guy ? restuarant maitra d came by i asked for menus and to place a drinks order as we had been seated for 10 mins.He opologized but im not sure how sincere he was.
Whilst waiting i noticed the wine glass on our table was dirty my husband said mines got lipstick !!!!!!!!!
We were starting to wonder what we had let ourselves in for.Our food arrived club sandwiches with fries which were very nice.To say i was relieved was an understatement.
I really dont understand why there were so many staff the woman that was running the floor was almost redundant my honest opinion is she was disorganized it would of been better to of had a person happy to actually do some work rather than give orders after all she hadnt realised we hadnt been seen she didnt know her own floor .keep the Maitra d for the resturant only.
Now our room, room 4 just up the stairs on the left.We loved it i mean loved it.The bed was ultra comfy i loved the lavender heart (i thought hubby was going to get me one) £15 he didnt!!!! the hotwater bottle the furniture, the box in the wardrobe with the coffee and tea and the ren products in the bathroom.We both slept soundly and were in no hurry to move.
Dinner was much more fun i loved the ginger mai tai again lots of staff getting in each others way but good none the less.Breakfast was good full english,lots of toast juices crossiants i had to lie down as my tummy hurt !!
Would we go back, in a heartbeat cant wait to try a different room.

Room Tip: look at the ballroom for a dreamy wedding venue
Hello Fellow Trip advisor,

Thank you for feedback! Some wonderful things said and some helpful insights to! We are continually reviewing our performance and product and you have highlighted some issues that are on the mend and we would like to ensure that the guests are always satisfied so we are grateful for you taking to the time write. Glad you enjoyed most of the stay and look forward to welcoming you back on another occasion hopefully!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We have just returned from a two night mid-week stay at The George. We stayed in Room 9 which was very spacious and well kitted out. However I imagine from the attention to detail we experienced throughout the hotel, you would be pleased whichever room you picked. The beds were extremely comfortable and the Frette sheets were excellent. I loved all the REN products in the bathrooms and the copies of Larousse Gastronomique, Marie Claire and Homes and Property magazines in the bedroom were great too - whoever owns The George, really knows exactly who their customers are! We ate in the restaurant a lot. I would almost suggest that if you are a foodie that you would even come to The George for the restaurant alone as it is UNBELIEVABLE to get this level of food in such a small, remote medieval town is great! The chef was so accommodating to our off the menu request of 'coriander butter' instead of the other traditional sauces on offer to accompany our steaks. One night I had a starter of Spiced Beetroot and Gorgonzola risotto which was sublime and as for the Cinnamon Poached Pears and Brown Bread Ice-Cream (!) it was the most delicious dessert I have ever eaten. The breakfast too was exquisite – just baked croissant’s and pain au chocolate, freshly squeezed juices, home-made yogurt and a fry-up to beat all fry up’s! We have come away, two very relaxed, well fed guests!

Room Tip: If you join their website you will be emailed about any cut-price offer they do. Like half price on...