Old Borough Arms Hotel(Rye)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$147
US$139
US$134
US$168
The Regent Motel & Bar(Rye)(Great Value!)
US$112
Hotels.com
The Lodge at Winchelsea(Winchelsea)(Great Value!)
US$118
1,555 results
All reviewsluxury roomchateaubriandshop next doorren productshigh streetlovely hotelstation car parkjunior suiteroll top bathpoached pearcattle marketboutique hotelwedding partyscallopswine listlamblovely room
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is well located on the High Street but does not have any parking facilities. Booked two rooms here for a treat for an anniversary and price included a meal. We were fortunate to find a parking space outside but we had to carry our suitcases up different levels and steps to access our rooms. The rooms were clean with good quality soft furnishings and the beds were comfortable. Our room was dark with no light or mirror above the dressing table, but that would be the only negative comment on the rooms. Windows could not be opened. This is a very old property so cannot be expected to have lifts etc. but if you have a mobility problem it would be worth mentioning on booking to enable the staff to maybe allocate a room with easy access. We had difficulties with the steps and walk ways.
The meal in the restaurant was mediocre and the vegetarian selection poor. Although the service wasn't bad and the young staff tried their best, they lacked experience and it showed.
The dining room for breakfast did not appear cleaned from the night before.

Room Tip: Check where room is located if you have a problem with steps
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moirayeo
GeorgeinRye, Guest Relations Manager at The George in Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hi Moira,

I thank you very much indeed for your constructive comments. The George in Rye is a quintessential English Hotel and I am sure will remain so for many years to come. Your comment has been most helpful and I am grateful for you pointing them to me and I hope you will be kind enough to let me know when you are next visiting the hotel so that I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in person and see that you do have a pleasant stay.

Kind Regards, James Blom – Operations Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was disappointing to learn after leaving quite a generous CASH tip at the restaurant a service charge was still added to the hotel bill on departure - quite a clever way. After talking to the manager - James Blom - it became apparent that he was willing to be quite rude - almost accusing me of not wanting to pay - over small amounts of money - of which I just gave in and paid in the end. What upset me and urged me to write a review about it is that he was openly rude to my wife in front of me whilst stood at reception in public. NOT a nice experience I shan't be staying here again. Be careful when staying here AND CHECK WATCHDOG before you decide to stay. I expect James Blom's response to this to be exactly the same as the other reviews who mention his rudeness. All the best for the future.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ukhotelstays

Dear Sir,

I would like to apologise sincerely for manner in which I have come across to you and your wife. Unfortunately, as you have not explained the reason for your disputing the bill, I am therefore unable to offer some form of explanation for my handling of your complaint. The 7.5% service charge is discretionary and therefore it is always at the discretion of the customer on paying the service charge and this is stated on the bill so please accept my apologise as I believe there is some kind of misunderstanding and I would be most grateful if you could contact me to resolve this issue. It is our hotel policy that all our guests receive the best service and in the event that a guest is unhappy then I will do my utmost to ensure that I listen to your feedback and see that you leave this hotel feeling that we have listened and are going to act upon your feedback.

Kind Regards,

James Blom

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in the hotel for celebration of our friends wedding. Its in a very close proximity to a town hall and a local church.
Our room was advertised as ' luxury' and we paid around £260 per night. Although the room was clean and pleasant, we feel it was overpriced for what it was. The mood was more ' rooms above the pub' rather than 5-star luxury. The building is old, so is a bit creaky, you could hear other guests opening doors to their rooms or walking above you.
Saying that the beds were comfy, house keeping is good and the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnaG2011

Dear Fellow Trip advisor,
I do hope that we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The George In Rye in the not too distant future, and if we can be of any assistance whatsoever either prior to or during your visit, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me. As you have seen, located in the centre of Rye, East Sussex, the hotel was recently renovated to create one of the most stunning hideaways on the south coast. The building dates from 1575 and has enviable heritage; it even has an original Georgian ballroom used for lavish weddings and banquets. An eclectic and contemporary design has been given to this historic fabric using a wide range of antique and modern furniture, materials and local art. The result is a comfortable blend of old and new, creating an atmosphere which is relaxed, informal and individual. Come and see us again soon….. Kind Regards, James Blom – Operations Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The George has a rather good reputation locally so came here for the first time for a birthday champagne afternoon tea expecting good things. We arrived to find the hotel hosting a wedding which was fine but came at a major cost to the service provided in other parts of the venue.

The birthday afternoon tea, which was reserved about six weeks in advance, arrived with a limited range of sandwiches which were on the very verge of becoming dry around the edges. The scones and cakes were very good but in short supply.

Most disappointing was the incredibly slow service. After 20 minutes of waiting we had to get up and ask for the table to be cleared, then a further 15 minutes stood at the bar waiting for three overpriced weak and watery cocktails to be made. Ironically, given the lack of service, we were charged a 7.5% service fee applicable to all afternoon tea orders!!

A shame that such poor attention and service spoiled a long awaited joint birthday celebration. The afternoon tea very much missed the special touches and detail required to make a good afternoon tea - not even a mention of 'happy birthday' to the birthday boy and girl from our server! Word of advice - if you'd like a champagne afternoon tea be sure to save yourself a few £s by ordering the afternoon tea and the champagne seperately. Not sure how it works out more to order as a package!

I've heard many a great thing about The George but unfortunately this trip didn't live up to the reputation - perhaps this was just due to resources being allocated to the wedding though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank 80sbeachboy
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed for three nights; the night before my wedding (at another venue) and the night of my wedding in Room 1, and then the last night in Room 40.
Room 1 is very beautiful and perfect for getting ready with others and is romantic and private. The only drawback is that it does face onto the side road and it is noisy with deliveries and staff etc from fairly early in the morning.
Room 40 however is completely secluded and quiet and also has it's own little patio area which has sunshine for part of the day.
Both rooms have bathtubs to wallow in which are fabulous! Room 1 also has a double monsoon shower as well.
My preference if I was booking again would be Room 40 over Room 1...for what it's worth.
The staff were fabulous throughout the stay. Nothing was too much trouble for them. They also looked after other guests in our wedding party equally well.
We ate in the restaurant twice and the food is delicious and good value.
I really can't fault our stay and will be back in the near future.

Room Tip: Room 40 is beautiful, quiet and secluded.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sammyjospangle
GeorgeinRye, Guest Relations Manager at The George in Rye, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Fellow Trip advisor,
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback!! We are so pleased to hear that you did enjoy attending a wedding at The George in Rye. Our original Georgian Ballroom is unrivalled for its elegance and is truly one of the most romantic wedding venues in Sussex and Kent. Stylishly restored 450-year-old inn with an excellent restaurant in one of England's most picturesque near-the-seaside towns so it’s no wonder that the weddings and private parties are so popular! Kind Regards, James Blom – Operations Manager