“Somewhere a little bit special”
Review of The George in Rye

The George in Rye
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Rye
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Somewhere a little bit special”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Old world charm in quaint Cinque Port town. The clean room was cosy but very comfortable with a well appointed ensuite and a comfortable, warm bed. The hotel is well organised with plenty of friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast is superb, served in the retro splendour of the dining room, with plenty of choice. We would definitely stay here again for a special occasion.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Korean first
Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights in December and enjoyed it, so when we wherein Rye again in April decided to have lunch at the George. How disappointed we were. The bar lunches weren't nearly as good as the last time. My husband ordered the ham hock terrine which when it arrived was on a thin bed of mustard, not mentioned in the menu. He can't stand mustard so we swopped and he had my chicken club sandwich which was ok. The terrine was pretty tasteless. Our friend had a king prawn pasta dish which had a strange taste also it had hard pieces of something unknown in it as well. We love Rye and are going again in October but I don't know if we will give the George another go.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed there over two nights for a family wedding ( held in the hotel ).
It's an old hotel, with bits added on at the rear. Lots of stairs and link corridors, so allowances have to be made for the slight inconvenience. Quite attractive in appearance, mainly Georgian and it fits nicely into the street scene of the ancient part of Rye town.
Checking in and out can be difficult at busy times with guests milling about, as the reception area is very small with two office desks, one not always occupied.
Our room was a "superior", decent size, adequate wardrobes and drawers, tea making facilities and large comfortable bed. There was an on-suite bathroom with a permanently heated towel rail ( very very hot! ). There was a shower head over the bath with good pressure, however the bath side was so high my 5ft 3in wife could not get in.... I could but then I'm 6ft 2in tall! I think a step might help? Ladies will have trouble applying their make-up as the lighting is not very bright by the mirrors. The extract fan was not operating, which is problem in a room without windows and it clearly hadn't worked for some time ( clogged with dirt / dust ). I reported the defect but nothing had been done by the time we left.
The hotel is expensive for what it is, even allowing for it's location, £421 for two nights. Good English breakfast though!
Can't grumble about the Wedding, which was efficiently carried out held in the lovely ballroom with it's adjoining room.
There are no car parking facilities, so when you arrive or depart you have no choice other to park on the double yellow lines outside the Hotel. The parking offence does appear to be wisely ignored by the Local Authority, but coming from the Parking Police State of London it's a bit nerve racking!
When you've unloaded your car you have to drive down the one-way streets, half-way round the town until you reach the old market car park. You can park there for 24 hours at a cost of only £1,50 ( but not Thursdays! ), then walk up the hill to the Hotel ( hope you are fit and it's not raining! ).
One last thing, in our opinion the hotel is not suitable for disabled people unless they can negotiate stairs.

Room Tip: If you can afford it have a "superior" room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at The George for a wedding. We paid for an upgraded superior room which was nice until we realised it adjoined the hotel toilets. We were kept up by the noise of people using the toilet both at night and early morning when i think the cleaners were in there. I understand that someone's room has to be next to the toilets but surely not an upgraded room.. i think it was an extra £70 or so ! I explained i had a problem with the room and was happy to pay for a normal room rate but not the upgraded room. Because i had given them my credit card details when i checked in they were able to charge me. They did offer a discount on a future stay but i didn't think me paying more money to them for something i didn't think was right was a fair offer. Shame because the way they dealt with my complaint really left a bad taste in my mouth! Nice hotel but I don't consider a hotel where you can hear someone using the toilet a superior room!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank John_BB3168XB
GeorgeinRye, Guest Relations Manager at The George in Rye, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Fellow Trip advisor,

We appreciate very much you taking the time to comment on your experience as all feedback is very helpful whether positive or negative. I apologise that you were unhappy with the room chosen for you. As you were attending a wedding, we had chosen this room for you so that you would be near the wedding party and this is something that is arranged with the bride and groom beforehand in the lead up to the big day. As each room is quite individual, we do recommend our guest's to mention this on check in so that we can see if there is something more suitable available when the guest is shown to the room. I do hope that this isolated incident will not deter you from returning and I hope you will be kind enough to let me know when you are next visiting the hotel so that I may apologise in person and assure you that we have dealt with situation properly and effectively.
Kind Regards, James Blom – Operations Manager
Tilburg, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 June 2014

A wonderful and pittoresque hotel, impeccable & exemplary service by friendly staff, superb sleeping facilities, surprising good kitchen, excellent wine chart, quality assured, a genuine British gem! In the centre of a very characteristic town in Kent county, well known for its rich history (the Cinq Ports).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

- with apologies to J D Salinger. We stayed at The George in Rye, a hotel of character in the centre of the town within easy reach of all the facilities, including the port. Well-known locally, it was recommended by all my friends from East Sussex, a good point in its favour. The welcome was warm and the rooms very comfortable, if accessible through a series of cases in the old part of the building. If anything the rooms very a little warm, although it was not a hot day, but an electric fan has been thoughtfully provided in the room. Lunch offered a great choice of sea-food and was excellent. The ham-hock terrine and Dover sole were both excellent and breakfast the following morning included black pudding - one of my key criteria for a good breakfast. The only drawback is parking; being in the High Street, parking is limited to 1 hour, but on the other hand you are in the centre of the town. There is a long term car-park near the railway station (about 5 minutes walk away) and it is good value at £1.50 for 24 hours, but bring a case on wheels if you carry your luggage from the car.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gck617
Such lovely feedback and thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your experience. It's my pleasure to pass on your comments to the team and so wonderful to hear that you experienced and enjoyed the true flavours of Rye and The George! Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool for the general public to gain a helpful insight to a hotel or restaurant and services and you have provided a very useful and detailed assessment that, I think, will provide future visitors with fantastic view of what it is that we offer and we are very grateful this.

Kind Regards,

James Blom
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This was our second stay at The George and we were disappointed to find that things had slipped considerably since our visit in December 2012. The stair carpet which is one of the first things you see on arrival is REALLY badly stained and needs to be replaced ...it gives a very poor impression as you make your way to your room. The housekeeping in our room was not great , dog eared and tatty hotel directory , hot water bottle cover stained, EXTREMELY dusty toiletry boxes and the oil diffuser in the bathroom which had a layer of oil and dust on it and should have been thrown in the bin .... all small details but when added together they give the impression that not enough care is being taken and that management is lax.
Breakfast was delicious and our only criticism was that the orange juice was cheap and nasty
...straight from a carton. Surely at these prices fresh juice could be served.
We hope that management address the housekeeping issues and keep an eye on the attention to detail. The George Hotel has the potential to be superb but at the moment it just seems 'tired'.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ELAINE H
Dear Fellow Trip advisor,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your experience and I am so sorry to hear of the shortcomings you experienced. We were a week too late as I am pleased to confirm that we have just replaced these carpets with a quite exciting stripey and colourful style. I have passed on your comments with regard to the dust you found in the room as I can assure you this is not the standard we have set ourselves here and therefore we look to see this does not happen in future. We do also the finest freshest squeezed Juice and so it does come as a surprise that this was not offered to you in the first place. I can only assume that not enough freshly squeezed juice was prepared and we will see that there should be plenty available in the future.

The George team do understand that attention to detail is one of the greatest characteristics of great hotels and it is ideas like this that drive us forward as a team to offer the best service and ensure complete guest satisfaction. I am sorry we have not met with your expectations and to the expectations for which we are well known and I have passed on your comments to the team to raise these issues and I hope will notice a huge difference should you decide to return. Again, thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience as it all does help very much!

Kind Regards, James Blom – Operations Manager