“over priced”
Review of The Mermaid Inn

The Mermaid Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Rye
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Having stayed here before i thought i would treat the hubby for his 50th birthday and booked one of the 4 poster rooms. The room was fine, the food as always amazing as are the staff but...................the tea and coffee facilities were appalling, for £220 a night I would have expected at the very least hot chocolate and herbal teas on the tray not just tea and coffee. Also the bathroom nice bits were lacking, only shampoo and bubble bath. Very very over priced for what you got. Also delivers to the the hotel on a staurday morning at 6.30am was a big no no.

There are newer reviews for The Mermaid Inn

Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed for just the one night (unfortunately) as an anniversary treat and both thought it was great. The room was beautiful, breakfast excellent and freshly cooked (I can't believe some of the reviews on here), we didn't have a "proper" meal but had a bar snacks meal which was really good value, filling and tasty. Staff were efficient and very helpful (breakfast guy a bit chilly perhaps). A couple of very minor downs - better lighting in our room would have been welcome, as would more than two easily accessible powerpoints - using a charging phone from the bed involved some stretching and the wife couldn't use her plug-in hair thingy in front of the mirror. All in all though - gorgeous.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Mermaid Hotel Rye. If you love history you will love this hotel (re-built in 1420) reeks of history, we stayed in the Honeymoon suite which was vast. The whole hotel is very welcoming with blazing log fires in the lounges and bar. The food and service in the restaurant was first class. Please do not be put off by previous reviews, this is an old hotel but everything we found to be first class. It is central so easy to see all Rye which is a very quaint place with many antique shops. We would definitely go back and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank Frances66
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here with a large group and so saw lots of bedrooms. All individual and set in a lovely older building. Not for the infirm. Had a problem with sleep due to noisy neighbours but was pleased to be offered a reduction. The management seemed genuinely interested in feedback so hopefully bitss and pieces, while available if you ask ,are provided automaticaly in the room eg. selection of teas, basket of toiletries.

Room Tip: my tip is watch the service charges. Weate and drank at hte hotel the first night and generously ti...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I have stayed in many a hotel in my (let's say thirtyish plus, shall we?) years and this is absolutely my favourite. Certain things will be appreciated by all: outstanding service, charming and picturesque interiors, extremely comfortable rooms, and reasonable (for what you're getting; I am not saying this is budget) pricing. If you love Tudor architecture, medieval period buildings, British history, and a good ghost story, you might even like it as well as I did.
The Mermaid was built hundreds of years ago; it was actually rebuilt pretty much as is in 1420, which makes its pristine condition all the more astounding. If you want to time travel, this is the only way to do it that I know of; visit this fifteenth century inn that appears to have been built yesterday. I'm not saying the staff dresses in costume, although that would be appreciated (by myself anyway) but the creaky corridors and walk-in fireplace and sloping ceilings will leave you feeling breathless under the weight of layers of time.
My room had windows just above the mermaid sign itself with the perfect view of the cobbled Mermaid Street, rivalled only by nearby Church Street as the World's Most Enchanted Lane. The en suite was lovely (this is the 'bathroom' in England, you might want to be certain when searching out hotels that your room is en suite!) and the room cosy and charming. Rather than have the restaurant supper, which was a bit pricey and required Proper Dress, I rang up room service and relished in a delectable meal for around 10 pounds in my pyjamas.
I love this place so much I think I would happily do some cleaning duties for free, just to spend more time there!

Room Tip: The Elizabethan Room is the Suite Above All Suites and must be reserved at least a year in advance...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Cheri G
Reviewed 30 September 2012

The Mermaid exceeded our expectations. It is a beautiful place, an amazing trip into history. We stayed in Dr. Syn's Bedchamber, where the Queen Mother stayed a few years back. It has a hidden door behind a bookcase. The Inn's pub is exceptional, with its giant fireplace and friendly service. The beer is also exceptional; I had some very, very excellent pints of Harvey's Sussex Best Bitter. When ordered in the restaurant, by the way, it is served in a silver mug. A wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: Dr. Syn's Bedchamber is outstanding!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micropete
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We have stayed at the Mermaid before, the first time being for the first few days of our honeymoon thirty years ago and so we returned, this time with our children and their partners.
The building is beautiful but the rooms were a big let down and of a very poor standard indeed. The bathrooms have not been renovated for many years. The grouting was either yellow, cracked or missing entirely, the shower was old and tatty, the flooring was dirty and the tiles were cracked in places. The toiletries provided seemed cheap. The curtains in the bedroom had been cut to size but had not been hemmed.
I love old furniture and the room did have some lovely pieces which have been well used but some were reproduction and were chipped in places.
The room was quite clean but had cobwebs and a dusty mirror and the duvet cover had a hole in it.
The bed was comfortable and we slept well.
We had dinner in the restaurant and this was nice but expensive.
Breakfast was ok but I do not expect a hotel charging this price to run out of things on the menu.
The Mermaid is a 3* hotel but charges (as another review put it) an eyewatering price and does not provide the quality which I expected for that amount of money.
We went on to have a lovely lunch in Webbe's Fish Cafe in Rye which I can recommend.
A disappointing stay. Yes, I am sure that the building is expensive to maintain but personally, as an English person I am embarassed that a hotel in my country should charge so much for such poor quality.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. If you want to see the beautiful building have a drink in the bar intsead and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family