Do not be fooled by the classic Engish architecture and photos of the four poster bed, this is essentially a few rooms above an Indian Restuarant in Rye High Street. If you like Indian food, and in particular the smell of Indian cooking then that shouldn't be a problem, but if you don't, then it is a major issue because even if you decide to eat somewhere else (and I would definitely recommend that you do ) the smell of curry and spices seeps into everything; furnishings, bed linen, and of course your own clothes. On the plus side our bedroom was large and comfortable, and the breakfast and dining rooms are tastefully decorated. Also Javed who runs the B&B is clearly passionate about the place, works hard and delivers excellent customer service. The breakfast provided by Javed was also very, very good. But the dinner in the leased restuarant (out of his control I think) was just dire. It's trying too hard to be contemporary but no amount of funky, rectangular tablewear can disguise the fact that the fusion, food combinations just don't work and what you are left with is basically salty, over spiced, multi-coloured blobs of sludge. We were also charged £45 for a bottle of Le Fou Pinot Noir which retails at £7.50 - a complete rip-off. So a real mixed review. The hotel has nice rooms and a congenial host but it has no bar, no car parking (you have to park outside in the High Street and keep moving your car to avoid a ticket) and is on a busy road which is very noisy, even at 2.00 and 3.00 in the morning. But it is the restuarant which really lets it down. If you like Indian cuisine then it's probably an okay place to stay but if you don't then avoid at all costs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of the ancient Cinque Port town of Rye, the White Vine House's origins go back to the 13th century. We offer four double and two family rooms, each individually styled with meticulous attention to details. Flat panel TVs, Wi-Fi, fluffy towels and organic toiletries are only a few of the careful considerations. Come enjoy the friendly, relaxing atmosphere as can only be found at a family-run establishment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your White Vine House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- White Vine House Hotel Rye
- White Vine House Rye, East Sussex