“A huge Disappointment...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 38 Rye B&B and Inns
Tenterden, United Kingdom
“A huge Disappointment...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

Do not be fooled by the classic Engish architecture and photos of the four poster bed, this is essentially a few rooms above an Indian Restuarant in Rye High Street. If you like Indian food, and in particular the smell of Indian cooking then that shouldn't be a problem, but if you don't, then it is a major issue because even if you decide to eat somewhere else (and I would definitely recommend that you do ) the smell of curry and spices seeps into everything; furnishings, bed linen, and of course your own clothes. On the plus side our bedroom was large and comfortable, and the breakfast and dining rooms are tastefully decorated. Also Javed who runs the B&B is clearly passionate about the place, works hard and delivers excellent customer service. The breakfast provided by Javed was also very, very good. But the dinner in the leased restuarant (out of his control I think) was just dire. It's trying too hard to be contemporary but no amount of funky, rectangular tablewear can disguise the fact that the fusion, food combinations just don't work and what you are left with is basically salty, over spiced, multi-coloured blobs of sludge. We were also charged £45 for a bottle of Le Fou Pinot Noir which retails at £7.50 - a complete rip-off. So a real mixed review. The hotel has nice rooms and a congenial host but it has no bar, no car parking (you have to park outside in the High Street and keep moving your car to avoid a ticket) and is on a busy road which is very noisy, even at 2.00 and 3.00 in the morning. But it is the restuarant which really lets it down. If you like Indian cuisine then it's probably an okay place to stay but if you don't then avoid at all costs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mark F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had an amazing week-end at the White Vine House. The location is right in the heart of the city but we always could park very close and easily (shops are clsoing between 17h00 and 18h00, makes it even easier during this tiem). We were hosted in room 5 (family room), very spacious (1 double bed, 2 single beds and a large large bathroom!). The hotel owner is so friendly and discrete, he took care of us brillantly (baby phone, cot, pram storage). Breakfast and dinner at the Ambrette were excellent. We found value for money was excellent.

Wallasey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

My daughter, Suzanne, has written a review of this hotel, I can only reinforce what she has said, the management and staff couldn't have been more helpful and understanding of helping her on the preparation for her most important day, and the meal on the night before for my family was excellent. Quirky, historic and original, I would recommend this hotel and its restaurant to anyone

Robertsbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

I stayed here last weekend for the night before my wedding with my parents and my sister. Javed and his team were absolutely brilliant! I was made to feel very welcome from the minute I walked in, but was given the space to say 'goodbye' to my fiancee for the last time before seeing him at our wedding the next day. I stayed in Room 3, in which I got ready for my wedding the next day, and what a beautiful room it was! The bathroom is lovely! My family and I had a quiet meal the night before in the Ambrette and it was absolutely gorgeous! We couldn't fault any of it. I really can't say enough how great my stay was at White Vine and how grateful I am to Javed for his attention to detail (extra nutella at breakfast in particular!) and his understanding for last minute delays! Thank you so much!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I had a fabulous time in room 6, and particularly enjoyed the ipod speakers. Judith and Javed were excellent hosts; always smiling and very welcoming - almost like family. The building is beautiful and breakfast in the panelled dining room was lovely. The pancakes were delicious! I will certainly be staying at the white vine again. And not just for the pear drops in my bedroom. :)

Room Tip: Book to eat in the restaurant as it was busy at the weekend.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

What a delight! From the moment we walked through the front door, we were made very welcome. Javed the owner was a delightful host during our stay and nothing was too much trouble for him or his staff. Breakfast was an absolute treat and such a good menu, not just the usual fried breakfast. Room no. 1 was overlooking the hills at the back, nice and quiet and very restful. Beautiful décor and surroundings all round. The hotel is steeped in history dating back to the 16th Century, with lovely panelled dining rooms. I loved the extras put out in the room for us, such as chocolate, fresh coffee etc. There was even a library of DVDs and books to choose from. We ate in the Ambrette on the first night of our stay, which was most delightful. The food was excellent and well worth a visit. We will revisit, hopefully sometime soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Lovely room, great position and breakfast wonderful. We were made to feel very at home and the little touches, such as dried cranberries to nibble on, made it very special. Javed a most hospitable host. After a bit of a glitch on the internet booking system, the "semi-in-house" Ambrette lived up to its reputation.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple