“Lovely historic Inn”
Review of Whitehouse

Whitehouse
Ranked #14 of 40 Rye B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We happened upon the White Vine House as we were walking back from a pub to our car. Stuck our heads in to see if they had a room and they did. Lucky for us because this place is amazing! The owner, Javed, is a great proprietor. Very interesting in his recounting of the history of the house - part of the house dated back to the 1300s! Very comfortable large room with all the amenities and a wonderful English breakfast was included. Great location for walking around the charming village of Rye.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My husband & I travel extensively, to include a one year trip around the world so we know quite a bit about service. I cannot say enough about Javed as an hotelier who goes above & beyond when it comes to making things easy, warm & comfortable for his guests. The ambience of Rye in general & White Vine House in particular will make it easy for us to recommend this wonderful gem to everyone we know.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

On arrival we were made to feel very welcome by the owner Javed, who showed us to our lovely room. There was a great choice of breakfast all beautifully cooked. Rye and the surrounding area is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Stayed here for one Friday night with my partner. As mentioned, great location and looks lovely and charming from the front. Also, a nice welcome and impressed with the history of the place. However it falls somewhere between a restaurant, B and B and hotel and I did feel that they were mostly focused on the Indian restaurant side of the business as opposed to the accommodation side.
The room we stayed in (2) whilst spacious was a bit dusty and could of done with a good clean/ refurbishment. The mattress was also a bit hard on the double bed. On the plus Biscuits and decent coffee maker/ tea filter was a good touch. In the bathroom however the toilet bowl had some yellow staining and the windows looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. In general it was a bit shabby. As mentioned by others I could almost let this go for one night, however for 140 I expect a hell of a lot more, which is also why I'm nit picking a bit more than usual. If you're gonna charge those kind of prices you've got the be able to deliver top notch service.
The breakfast was pretty good although they didn't have any lemon to go with the Salmon dishes. (Again not the end of the world, but when a lot of there breakfast dishes are Salmon, Lemon is pretty important).
The foyet area is unfortunately like an oven as you are right by the kitchen and I couldn't get away from there sooner. Also the balcony area in the back was a bit neglected and didn't seem like it was ever used, with no flowers etc or had being cleaned in a while. Again, not somewhere I wanted to hang around and this is another problem with the place in that is there isn't really anywhere to hang around (no bar) other than your room, although with its great location this wasn't really a problem (But again for 140, I'd of liked the option).
Had dinner in the Indian restaurant on the Friday eve. Pretty good starters and all is reasonably priced. Pigeon dish I had was great and the white chocolate samosa was tremendous. On the downside, the duck my partner had was completely overpowered by its chocolate sauce. I'm all for experimental cooking and is great when it works, however the chocolate was far too bitter and murdered any flavour from the duck. My pork dish was pretty good though, if a bit small and the service in the restaurant was 1st rate, which again made me think that we were staying in a restaurant with rooms as opposed to a hotel with a restaurant.
Anyways, certainly not terrible and the owners seemed friendly but again for 140, I don't think I'd ever stay there again. If it was around the ninety mark, I'd of been be far happier.

2  Thank Peteegan
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Just had a weekend here with my partner, son and grand daughter. This is a lovely little hotel, (about eight rooms I think) the place is steeped in history, going back to 1300ad in parts. The room was big, comfy and had everything we needed. The real em here is Jared, the owner who is keen to look after everyone personally and made our stay especially pleasant. We didn't get to sample the restaurant which I know has a great reputation but this will change soon as we are already planning another trip without fussy kids! If the breakfast is an indication of the lunch and evening food then I know we are in for a treat. If you visit here, try the Eggs Benedict Royale for breakfast, the day can't start any better! Thanks Jared!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Me and couple of friends stayed at this fantastic hotel over the weekend and we were not disappointed one bit !! Javed and every member of his staff made us feel so accommodating !! The rooms were very large size in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at and have everything in it you could possibly want from iron to hairdryer and also little nibbles and treats and refreshments which was just a nice sentiment ! Breakfast was fantastic having many choices on the menu and really filled you up ! I would definately go back and stay there and wished I had stayed for longer !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This is our second time at the White Vine and we absolutely love it, Javed always looks after us and makes you feel welcome. The hotel is worth every penny (especially the breakfast you get) I cant recommend this hotel enough.