“A Must”

Price range: US$1 - US$8
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating
Description: We are a family run business, set in the tranquil setting of Rye Harbour, situated opposite the Lifeboat house. We are adjacent to the Rye Harbour Nature Reserve and River Rother and a short stroll from the beach.We are open 364 days a year (take Christmas day off and cook at home instead!), and are open from 9am til 3ish!We take pride in using only the finest ingredients,locally sourced wherever possible,free range,cook every order from fresh and only serve door-stops of the best bread!We are bike friendly, dog friendly,child friendly and customers with specific diets are welcome to bring their own food (we don't cater specifically for gluten free etc,yet).There is loads and loads of FREE parking,a rarity these days!Please don't park in the Lifeboat bays, if there is a shout you could get boxed in for hours! If there is a shout, please bear with me as the family are all on the crew and there's little staff left to look after all the customers! but you will see the boat in action. Catch us when we're quiet and we can give you a personal tour of the station!Donations to the RNLI are always welcome!
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Bosun's Bite serves delicious food. The place says 'welcome as do the busy friendly staff. There is seating both inside and outside, so make yourself at home while you wait. The wait is truly worthwhile because everything is freshly cooked. There are newspapers to read and pictures for sale on the walls. If you are a people watcher, the contented faces of departing diners will increase your anticipation. Breakfast is a challenge. It will set you up for the rest of the day and the memory of its delights will make you smile. You owe it to yourself to visit the dog friendly Bosun's Bite in Rye Harbour

Reviewed 9 August 2017

When next in Rye town pop along to Rye Harbour (along the Harbour Road which is a stone's throw outside Rye) and treat yourself in the Bosun's Bite cafe! From amazing full English breakfasts to wraps, cakes and the list goes on. All local produce, ample portions which could set you up for a good walk up the Nature Reserve to the beach. Why not stop for a mug of tea on your way back! Always a good recommendation when the locals use it!!

Reviewed 30 July 2017

We had the full English Breakfast and we were gobsmacked by the size of the plate of food we received. Proper crusty bread, thick sliced and toasted, non of this pre-sliced stuff.. Couldn't manage all of the Breakfast and didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. Really friendly and helpful staff. Looking forward to going back.

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We parked near this cafe in a FREE car park. Yes a big car park that was actually free.
Saw a sign for a cafe. What a lovely find.
I'm a fussy veggie.
I had lots of choice (which trust me is still a rarity)
It's dog friendly, they are even welcome inside.
That's when I thought things couldn't get better.
Until my food arrived.
Two big platefuls of yummy food. So much we had the energy for a lovely walk afterwards.
Then back to get the car from the free car park.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

My wife and I wanted some sandwiches to take back to our nearby B&B for supper (the local stopped serving food food in the evening as it was Sunday). So the friendly lady behind the counter took our order even though it was not long before their own (earlier) closing time. We rather cheekily asked we could have thinner bread than we had seen other customers given in their sandwiches but this was no problem. We waited at a table for our goodies and they were brought to us in typical and easily transportable polystyrene takeaway boxes, including one containing a generous portion of salad. They were all helpfully given to us in a plastic bag.
We wanted to have a look at the nearby harbour and as walking is a bit difficult for me I stayed at a table in the cafe while my wife took the sandwiches to our B&B to put in the fridge for later (it was of this summer's scorching hot days). While I was waiting, the kindly lady who had served us earlier, asked me if meanwhile I would like a cup of tea. How kind was that!
Also while I was waiting I had time to notice the friendly welcome everyone got, that the place was kept spotlessly clean between customers, that there was an extensive FLEXIBLE cafe menu providing meals and snacks for regulars and visitors alike. Fish and chip portions were enormous, Full English and the burgers especially looked very tasty. There were tables outside and, amusingly, these were provided with water pistols to keep the dive bombing seagulls at bay!
Rye Harbour is lucky to have Bosun's Bite and it provides a taste (sorry for the pun!) of a real English no frills cafe at its very best. If you're nearby do pop in - it's opposite the lifeboat station. And our sandwiches and salad, by the way, were well filled and especially delicious washed down with a glass of wine!