“Good hike, but be prepared”
Review of 1066 Country Walk

US
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“Good hike, but be prepared”
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I started the hike in Battle (about half way) heading towards Rye. I probably spent too much time looking over the battlefield, got a bit of a late start. Well, I had a couple maps but not the surveyors map. I would highly recommend getting a proper map!! I got lost about four miles from Rye. It was beautiful countryside and a lovely walk (although some parts weren't nice like crossing the highways, golf course, etc). I posted some photos and more tips on my travel blog at: http://adams-travel-blog.blogspot.com/2009/06/battle-1066-trail-rye.html

10 Thank WorldRunner100

Princeton, NJ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Superb Historical Walk”
Reviewed 16 June 2009

I walked the 1066 Country Walk twice in 2007 -- once with my father in August to celebrate a landmark birthday and once before that in May-June to familiarize myself with the route. I thoroughly enjoyed it, both for the history and the landscape. Late May was much wetter and muddier than August, but bring trainers nonetheless for the lengthy stretches on tarmac, on which hiking boots are uncomfortable. In dry weather, just about the whole walk can be done in cushion-soled trainers. Brian Smailes' guidebook was invaluable, both for following the trail and for accommodation suggestions (several of which are not listed online). We walked from Pevensey (wonderful English Heritage castle -- get the excellent audio guide) to Battle in one day (~16 miles), stopping for the tour (~ noon) at Herstmonceux Castle along the way (more info available at h-------m). Plan to spend a full day at the Battle Abbey site (also with an excellent audio guide). From Battle, we took the alternate route to Hastings (also one day of walking, ~16 miles) to see the cliffs, the Channel, France (faintly), and Foyle's War sights. Wonderful views from the cliffs near Hastings.

If you walk from Pevensey to Hastings, the only map you need is the OS Explorer 124 (Hastings and Bexhill). For the standard route to Rye, the route runs on to the Romney Marsh map (OS Explorer 125). Easy access to public transport at both ends of the walk, as well as in Battle.

Highly recommended!

10 Thank Porfirio_Diaz
A TripAdvisor Member
“Take the Challenge!”
Reviewed 1 June 2003

Fantastic walk! For full details, and a better chance to have your say about the walk!, go to my website on the walk at ... This walk is best done over four days with about 8 miles each day, starting in Pevensey. It's mostly easy walking with some superb views along the way. On my website, address above, you will find a fairly detailed route description, along with photographs from the walk and maps to guide you. Are you ready for the challenge? East Sussex is the most beautiful county in England. See the best bits on this walk!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member