“Going back for sure!”

Ranked #15 of 39 Rye B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Going back for sure!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed just for one night, we were attending a wedding Rye and this was the prefect choice for a overnighter. The room was quirky, clean and hot showers is away a bonus after a nightout plus the dog could stay too! We forgot out dog bowl and they happly lent us one with no fuss. George "the dog" did miss out on his morning sausage as he missed breakfast as we didn't think he would be allowed down to join is likey many dog friendly establishments. Central location which was fab for a wander round Rye which is lovely! parking is a bit of a nghtmare but that just Rye. Staff were helpful and smiley! All in all a great stay and we are GOING back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Had meal here during our holday so this review is based on that.
First impressions were positive Very interesting decor and ambience. Got shown to our table by a very friendly and efficient member of staff, ordered some drinks and perused the menu. First thing I noticed from the menu was that it was quite pricey, so this immediately raised my expectations.(and rightly so I reckon)
Sadly the meal we had did not meet my expectations. The fish dish I had was burnt and chewy on the bottom and to be honest very bland. I also noticed that the dish we ordered came with no sides. No veg, no salad nothing so I ordered a side salad. Now when I order a salad, I expect a little imagination/variation, NOT just a tiny bowl of lettuce leaves. (like out of a supermarket packet) that were tired and not even fresh. That was it. No cucumber, no tomato, no peppers - you get the gist.... I complained to the waitress who was curteous and apologetic and to be fair took this and one of the fish dishes off the bill. The chef fed back that the chewyness I had experienced was a result of pan fried fish, However, my husbands same meal did not have chewy bits in???
The children said their meals were fine and the wine was very good . Its a shame as it was a nice place but didn't think much of the food. Maybe this was just a one-off bad experience as other reviews seem to be to the contrary. I would say if in the area again I will give it another try, but as there are plenty of other eateries in Rye that I did enjoy, I probably wont.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Just spent two nights here. Interesting room and not as small as we thought it would be, with comfy bed and central location. Great atmosphere in the pub and all the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfasts were outstanding -we really didn't need lunch on the days we were there, and such a lovely choice of food in the evening too. Would recommend the smoked prawns and a half of local Perry.Park over the river, near the modern hotel for £2.50 for 24 hours if you can't get in outside the SHip.

Room Tip: Room 10 was smallish, but fine - some noise in the morning from bin lorries etc, but not too early s...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

had a wonderful stay ,staff are so cheerful and warm and not in the stand on ceremony way ,in a sincere honest way .I loved the décor something unusual at every turn I also loved the fact the bedroom floor sloped down as did the bathroom shows how old the building is....breakfast lush will def go back maybe a cosy winter weekend in December by the open fire with a nice glass of rum thanks for a great weekend

Room Tip: room 4 nice
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

Remember that it is an inn, above a pub, not the Hilton. But the rooms are beyond clean and nice, all the luxuries and more that you would need in a room, hot water, lovely staff, best location in town which does of course bring noice with it.
I would recommend this to anyone who needs a night in Rye. I wi definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Just spent a long weekend break at the Ship inn in Rye. What can I say, the service was excellent, food was brilliant, breakfast particularly good with friendly, attentive, knowledgeable staff.

The room was advertised as a small double and was indeed a small (comfortable) double, but any lack of space in the bedroom was more than made up for by a spacious and well equipped bathroom, large enough to have a small armchair in it! Lashings of hot water, sensibly sized bottles of toiletries and soft towels. (No rubber duck though :-().

The place has a welcoming atmosphere and below the jolly façade, someone has spent a lot of time thinking through the décor, the ambience, the staff, the food, the beer, the wine and (most importantly) how customers should be treated (I thanked one of the staff as we left for the effort she had put in for us, she smiled and said "its my job"). And it all works!

All in all a very restful break in a wonderful place, one I would heartily recommend to anyone who values service, ambience and a smile!

Room Tip: Book a room! 6 has A/C.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Booked at the last minute for a cheery weekend away . Arrived at 8.00 ish, receptionist not the most welcoming, gave us an absolutely pokey room with a dirty shower room. If it wasn't for the fact is took us 3 hours to get there, we would have returned home. I requested an alternative room nothing available til the next day. Well worth the wait, this room was huge, big bathroom, very clean, lovely views across the marsh. Staff in the restaurant were helpful, food was good, especially breakfast where the found some gluten free bread for me for toast. Italian restaurant next door was fabulous, freshly cooked absolutely amazing food. The fish restaurant diagonally opposite was a deep fried ghastly faux olde worlde place, that was probably in a lovely building, but you would never have known it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple