The White Lion Hotel
Chalk Farm Hotel(Willingdon)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsthe pubincluded breakfastpiehot waterstay there againlarge flat screen tvexcellent value for moneyseaford beachcouple of nightsbed was very comfortablepleasant staywarm welcomeseven sistersconservatorybrightonsuitehosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I first stayed here a couple of years ago but didn't review it, however, I stayed again recently for 4 nights whilst studying at the University of Brighton and so decided to post a review.

Upon arrival my room wasn't ready and so I left my bag and went downstairs for a drink...There are two bars (public and lounge with a conservatory, outdoor seating area and breakfast room for guests. World Cup games were being screened on large TVs in both bars.

The room was an en-suite single that was clearly in need of some re-decoration and a few finishing touches e.g a chair, a wall mirror, some pictures etc..Apart from that it was clean and tidy and the en-suite was in very good order with quality towels and toiletries provided. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well, apart from a steady stream of noise from the bars and the beer garden it was generally quiet after 11pm.

The cooked breakfast was very good, always fresh and piping hot, tea/coffee was brought out with breakfast, together with condiments etc and there was a selection of newspapers to read. A range of lunches and evening meals were available in the bar/restaurant although I elected to eat elsewhere, due to being out most of the time.

If you are looking for an antidote to over-priced, bustling Brighton you may find Seaford right up your street...Accommodation options seem to be few and far between though and this place may well owe a share of trade to its location; not far from the train station terminus, between Brighton to Eastbourne and close enough to Newhaven to make day crossings to France a feasible option.

Although it's well situated and the service is generally very hospitable there's still room for improvement...It ticks most of the boxes for me though and I reckon I'll be back next time I'm on this part of the South Coast, which I hope will be very soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MRonaldSmith
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a morning crossing to Dieppe and our little grandson was travelling with us, so we didnt want the hassle of a 4.30am start. The White Lion is only minutes away from the ferry port. We arrived in the evening and were made very welcome. The pub part was heaving and, therefore, must be good. Although we arrived too late for food to be served in the restaurant we were offered sandwiches, which was kind. Although the pub was packed and fairly noisy, there was no disturbance due to the degree of separation between the pub and hotel. We had booked the family suite which had two good bedrooms, a sitting room and bathroom. This really suited our family arrangement and, I thought, represented good value. Everywhere was satisfactorily clean with comfortable beds and the usual tea/coffee etc. Of course, one would love to see up-to-date bathroom fittings but the White Lion isn't the Dorchester and doesn't charge Dorchester prices! Suffice it to say, the bathroom was clean and functional (despite the slightly feeble shower spray) and perfectly adequate for our needs.

Breakfast was served in the light and airy breakfast room and consisted of all the usual fare, well cooked and presented with friendly informal service.

On the whole, we felt we were well looked after at the White Lion and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when making the Newhaven crossing.

Room Tip: Would recommend the suite for a family group.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank thechoirmaster
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Often go to this pub/hotel for sizzling steak which is delicious and well priced but tried something different last weekend. Fresh cod covered in a cheese sauce. Only £8.95 and delicious. Lucky for me I had the last one available. Hope it's on the board as a special again soon.

Room Tip: Only went here for a meal as live down the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here twice now. Very convenient for the Newhaven ferry. (early departure/late arrival)Breakfast excellent - full English. Pub downstairs but no late-night noise to disturb sleep. On-site parking. Room very clean.(Ensuite single). Tea/coffee/bottle of water(tap water non-potable unless boiled, for some reason). I found the bed very hard, but others might like that. The TV could be wall-mounted for easier viewing. Very helpful staff. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I didn't have a choice, but singles don't always. I'm not sure it would have made a difference.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank misswoodentop
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have stayed here in the past and my current stay was much more present than previous. This is a pub with rooms type hotel and none the worse for it. Room was well equipped, large and comfortable. En suite was heated separately, excellent! great sea view. the restaurant serves good tasty food, with good service at a reasonable price. it is dog friendly which is great for some but personally I'd rather not share my mealtimes with someone else's mutt! the only real downside is traffic noise, the hotel is double glazed but it is still intrusive. To sum it up if you are a dog lover who sleeps like a log and wants a pleasant, friendly and very reasonably priced hotel I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business