“very good for the money”

The White Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Seaford
London, United Kingdom
“very good for the money”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed in the hotel this weekend with my little son. We were here few years ago and we were not disappointed at all
We stayed in the room 2, so it wasnt noisy at all with the pub downstairs.
The breakfast was very good, the hosts were very good, good value for money
I woukd stay in this place again

Room Tip: We stayed in twin room, So room 1 and 2 are in the quiet area not above the pub
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very cheap for a single room (£40 per night); very clean and comfortable room. Friendly staff. I felt confident enough to have a glass of wine by myself in the bar area. Very quiet after closing time, but wasn't bothered by the noise from the bar.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front would be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EH1963
Sweden, Stockholm
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was very clean and the room was nice. We were there in July and it was very hot, so some traffic noise because the window was open. Nice bar/pub. We didn´t stay for breakfast, so I can´t say anything about that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Crewkerne, Somerset
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed after coming back to England on a fairly late ferry. Bar was quite noisy though we did find the "lounge" bar a bit quieter. Had to wait at the bar with suitcases while barmaid served customers, as there is no reception area. Was shown to room by the same person. The room was shabby, at best. The wallpaper was dirty, shower room tiny. The beds were a bit saggy and the pillows were so flat I could have done with another two. The bedding seemed old and the colours were faded, really need replacing! The breakfast was OK, if a little disorganised. We had to ask for more glasses for juice having had to go in search of someone to ask. There seemed to be only one gentleman working that morning so service was slow as he appeared to do just one table's orders at a time. At £60 a night, I suppose you get what you pay for but a bit more cleaning and new linen wouldn't cost much to provide.

Room Tip: Avoid a room over the bar as the music is loud.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Masonmou
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

i enjoyed a single night at the White Lion. Room was large, clean and comfortable, with large flat screen TV, free wi fi etc. Bed was fine, not the best I've ever slept in bed I slept all night and woke without aching. All with a sea view to look at if you wished.

If it is hot and you have the window open there is a main road outside of some rooms. These are the rooms with the sea view so it's a bit of a trade off.

Food was really good, I had a steak in the evening and the inclusive breakfast was also good. The pub/restaurant has a homely / local feel to it, not like a chain pub, with a conservatory and garden.

It's not immaculate, I wasn't expecting it for £60 a night. Odd bit could do with decoration etc, but I really enjoyed it.

Car park is small and most poeple seemed to park in the side road (which was free too.)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I first stayed here a couple of years ago but didn't review it, however, I stayed again recently for 4 nights whilst studying at the University of Brighton and so decided to post a review.

Upon arrival my room wasn't ready and so I left my bag and went downstairs for a drink...There are two bars (public and lounge with a conservatory, outdoor seating area and breakfast room for guests. World Cup games were being screened on large TVs in both bars.

The room was an en-suite single that was clearly in need of some re-decoration and a few finishing touches e.g a chair, a wall mirror, some pictures etc..Apart from that it was clean and tidy and the en-suite was in very good order with quality towels and toiletries provided. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well, apart from a steady stream of noise from the bars and the beer garden it was generally quiet after 11pm.

The cooked breakfast was very good, always fresh and piping hot, tea/coffee was brought out with breakfast, together with condiments etc and there was a selection of newspapers to read. A range of lunches and evening meals were available in the bar/restaurant although I elected to eat elsewhere, due to being out most of the time.

If you are looking for an antidote to over-priced, bustling Brighton you may find Seaford right up your street...Accommodation options seem to be few and far between though and this place may well owe a share of trade to its location; not far from the train station terminus, between Brighton to Eastbourne and close enough to Newhaven to make day crossings to France a feasible option.

Although it's well situated and the service is generally very hospitable there's still room for improvement...It ticks most of the boxes for me though and I reckon I'll be back next time I'm on this part of the South Coast, which I hope will be very soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank MRonaldSmith
Bedfordshire U.K.
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had a morning crossing to Dieppe and our little grandson was travelling with us, so we didnt want the hassle of a 4.30am start. The White Lion is only minutes away from the ferry port. We arrived in the evening and were made very welcome. The pub part was heaving and, therefore, must be good. Although we arrived too late for food to be served in the restaurant we were offered sandwiches, which was kind. Although the pub was packed and fairly noisy, there was no disturbance due to the degree of separation between the pub and hotel. We had booked the family suite which had two good bedrooms, a sitting room and bathroom. This really suited our family arrangement and, I thought, represented good value. Everywhere was satisfactorily clean with comfortable beds and the usual tea/coffee etc. Of course, one would love to see up-to-date bathroom fittings but the White Lion isn't the Dorchester and doesn't charge Dorchester prices! Suffice it to say, the bathroom was clean and functional (despite the slightly feeble shower spray) and perfectly adequate for our needs.

Breakfast was served in the light and airy breakfast room and consisted of all the usual fare, well cooked and presented with friendly informal service.

On the whole, we felt we were well looked after at the White Lion and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again when making the Newhaven crossing.

Room Tip: Would recommend the suite for a family group.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thechoirmaster
Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaford
The Avondale
#1 of 1 in Rottingdean
Congress Apartments
Congress Apartments
#26 of 40 in Eastbourne

Been to The White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!