“What an experience”

Golden Galleon
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Having visited another Vintage Inns venue for a quick coffee earlier today (Beachy Head) we weren't expecting a great deal however The Cuckmere Inn really stands out as a truly terrible pub. The company behind it must be very happy with the beautiful venues they have acquired along this beautiful part of the South Coast. Why they have turned them into dysfunctional and insufficient places though I am not sure. Being practically the only pub / restaurant next to two outstanding areas of natural beauty may lead you to believe they take pride in their stunning surroundings and the pubs they run. What ever you do don't stop looking at the view...
Having arrived and being greeted at the Cuckmere Inn, by the trademark Vintage Inns Blackboard " manager and the team welcome you to... " we went to the bar to enquire if we could grab something to eat. We were told if we wished to sit outside we would receive table service. Having asked for some menus we found a table in the nice looking garden and waited. Some time later we had to grab the waiters attention who informed us we had to order at the bar. We told him no problem we were told otherwise his response was "was it the blonde barmaid who told you that? Sorry". Anyway miscommunication, no problem. Went to order and returned to our table. Starter came out quick, no wonder nothing complicated breaded mushrooms with lettuce leaf and a huge dollop of mayonnaise and an undressed salad. During our starters the barmaid we ordered with came to the table and informed us they had run out of chicken, I'd ordered a chicken and bacon sandwich. I said no problem and switched my order. I was told told I would have to pay an extra pound due to the price difference between the two mains. I paid not wanting to make a fuss. Having got bored of waiting for our starters to be cleared we decided to inform a waiter we were moving to a different table in the sun and that we had main courses coming so as not to confuse.
Mains were brought by a waitress who left immediately having placed the food on the table. We were brought no cutlery, I had to get that from a nearby table. Having started eating my partner managed to get the attention of the waitress and asked for some ketchup and mayonnaise for her chips. She returned looking particularly put out with a series of sauces on a platter and waited for us to use them. No mayonnaise... "Is there any mayonnaise?" We asked, "No, we don't have any at all" the response. This of course we know not to be true however it could be judging by the scores of mayonnaise that came with our starters. "Any thing else I can get for you?" We said some napkins would be great. She never returned.....
Neither shall we! And neither should you!!
We left and of course were not bid farewell. I'm left wondering what the Cuckmere and Vintage Inn's are about. There's nothing vintage about the decor, interior or even the property. The only thing vintage about this place is the lost 21st century concept of "service". What an awful shame, such a great position for a business like this to thrive. This is the reason so many VINTAGE quality freehold pubs just don't exist anymore. Oh well, what an incredible view....

3  Thank Ellie C

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Very reluctant to try this venue due to ongoing negative reviews. Pleasantly surprised. Meals were fresh and tasty, staff friendly and over all a great evening. The problems seem to surface when it's busy, I've never been one to visit a restaurant on a specific celebratory day such as Mother's or Father's day or bank holidays. Nothing wrong with this restaurant if you pick your day carefully, as with most places.

2  Thank alfonsobatch
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have read all the bad reviews but, as we now live nearby, we have been twice recently and had good food and good service both times. Bar and restaurant staff were attentive and friendly. Food was served quickly and was hot, nicely presented and tasty. Good experience all round and we will certainly make it our local. Maybe best not to go at peak times on a sunny weekend though when they are bound to be busy :-)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We had to wait for more than a hour for our food. We ordered soup and sandwiches and you would think it will not take long to wait. But it took forever.... I'm glad the food didn't come out bad (good paprika soup), but be prepared to be in this restaurant for at least 2 hours. It's saving grace is it's great location, with great views (especially if you sit outside).

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Can see the reasons for the very mixed reviews. We just had a drink outside, enjoying the stunning scenery. They are disadvantaged by the kitchen and glass wash being as far away as possible to most of their customers, whom witness the continual traffic of crockery and drinkware.

1  Thank 2slapupgrills