“Excellent value for travellers.”

Holiday Inn Express Colchester
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Gisborne NZ
“Excellent value for travellers.”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We are elite status Priority Club. When travelling, we make use of Holiday Inn Express wherever possible as they offer what we need/ want for overnight stays.
This Hotel was user-friendly, staff were helpful, the room was clean, fresh, had everything including tea/coffee making facilities and sparkling-clean shower bath/ toilet etc.
Best of all, it had an excellent cooked Breakfast and for an ex-pat citizens THAT WAS A BONUS !
We also ate in the evening off a very restricted menu. The Food was hot and tasty. A Free newspaper was available at Breakfast.
Overall, this establishment left us with a very good impression.
In point of fact, it is located on the SOUTH (London side) off a dual carriageway so when travelling North to Colchester / Ipswich, you have to come off the carriageway and go through winding lanes for about a mile (crossing the dual carriageway in the process) before finding it tucked away on your left behind another Shell petrol station. A bit confusing, but worth the effort to find it.
We used it to avoid London Olympic Opening night (July 27).

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Paying a visit to my old home town, Colchester, in Essex we opted for staying in the Holiday Inn Express a few miles out of the town, since it offered triple adult rooms allowing my 19-year-old son to share with us. The hotel is relatively new and there is plenty of free on-site parking. The rooms are clean and spacious with a compact shower room. The dining area is clean with plenty of room between tables. The buffet-style breakfast includes a partial cooked English plus plenty of cereals, rolls, bread, marmalades, jams and savouries including Marmite and a choice of pre-wrapped cheese portions. Tea-making facilities are also available in every room. The only downside is the location. Like many Holiday Inn Express hotels, it is tucked behind a garage on the A12/Colchester North interchange – easily missed if approaching from the Ipswich direction. If approaching from Colchester town, you have to turn off the A12 and drive through the village of Langham to access the site. One word of caution: the hotel is not on a thorough bus route and Colchester town car parks are extortionate . I'm a former native of the town and even my knowledge couldn't help me find a free space!

Room Tip: Probablt best to choose a rear-facing room that overlooks woods rather than over the car park.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor. Positive reviews are always pleasing as it shows we are a great hotel choice in Colchester.

We are in the process of hotel directional signage with highways and council, although at this stage unsuccessfully unfortunately. But we will keep following up until we are hopefully successful.

Once again thank you for your kind words and once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for your future travel needs.

Kind regards,

London
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Letting the franchise down. They are new by the looks of it, but they are understaffed and under serviced. The staff there were very accomodating but to have to wait 10/15 mins at an empty bar at 10pm, while the lone member of staff serves late check ins and then leaves the phone ringing constantly when they finally serve you, is a sign of poor service for me

The rooms, were very small but functional. Our family room, once the sofa bed was opened, had ZERO room to move round, couldn't even reach the window to draw the curtains! Double bed tiny, and VERY springy. One of you move, the other rolls off = poor nights sleep!

Oh and the air con, good luck, it works, but it's loud enough to hear over the TV

And don't start me on the towels, they weren't big enought to wrap a pygmy in!

I got a reward night from the ICH brand, so didn't complain to the hotel, but if I'd paid £125 for my stay, I would have camped at reception venting my spleen!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
I was glad to hear the staff in the hotel where accommodating to your requirements, although you say you had to wait to be serviced at the bar and we thank you for your patience.
We have not had any other complaints regarding the noise of the air conditioning before so I do find this slightly unnerving. I would have been really grateful for the room number you stayed in so we can investigate this further, as I do not believe this is affecting every room.
Our towels are standard hotel towels provided by a large service provider and are brand standard to the Holiday Inn Express Group. Please call or visit reception and if in future you require more towels as we are more than happy to supply them to you.

Our rooms are designed for service and comfort and as the sofa is located next to the window in the room I can see how you could not open the window whilst it was in bed position. Again our beds are standard IHG branded beds and we apologise that you did not have a satisfactory night’s sleep.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for your future travel needs.

Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Booked in for 4 nights while visiting Dedham area. Checking in - not a good start - receptionist didn't know meal-times. First impressions of room - excellent: spacious, spotlessly clean and modern decor. However, room wasn't serviced next day, i.e. cleaned or bed made. We returned at 8pm, so not best time to have maid service.
NOTE: These rooms (and hotel) are designed for business travellers - hence no cupboards, drawers and one shelf - so expect to live out of a suitcase or your car.
Food - very little choice on dinner menu if you don't like spicy food. We ate out each day. Breakfast adequate, but again, little choice - scrambled egg, bacon, sausage and beans. Fruit on two days was green apple - apparently ran out of bananas, etc.
Cheap cost, but not what we expected of a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am really pleased you found the hotel facilities excellent and clean as this is one of our highest priorities at the hotel. Therefore I am unsettled that your room was not serviced the next day. I am currently investigating the reason as to why your room was not services and can only apologise. I have passed your comments onto housekeeping to ensure this does not happen again.
Your free express start breakfast is brand standard for a Holiday Inn Express and consists of Delicious scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans, Warm pastries, range of plain and fruit yoghurts, selection of cereals including high fibre/low calorie cereals, Choice of fresh fruits, White and brown sliced bread and crusty bread rolls, Cheese, Orange and apple juice, fresh coffee including expresso and cappuccino, Black and herbal teas, Hot chocolate.

uk
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I would like to say a very big thankyou to Sue who took the time to help us settle in our room and get us extra towels and bedding, she was not only cleaning the rooms and was helping us till late she was here in the morning working on reception checking us out. The hotel was clean and staff were very friendly. A very nice hotel. Could do with better directions and signs.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Thank you for your recent review. We strive towards excellency and receiving positive comments like yours lets us know we are on target for our goal.

It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts. Your comments will be shared with Sue and our entire staff. Sue, due to her fantastic customer service has been awarded this month for creating great hotels guests love.

We look forward to accommodating you again should you visit your friends in the near future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We chose the Holiday Inn Express Colchester for a one night stay whilst visiting family in the area. We were told all their double rooms are equipped with sofa beds meaning a family of four like ours could share a room and keep costs down. We ordered pizza from the bar and watched a movie in the evening which was great for the kids, they also offer free WiFi if you purchase food or drinks and we took advantage of this offer. When we couldn't work out how to use our IPAD and phones in our room the receptionist provided us with a wireless router and helped us get connected which was great service. Breakfast was buffet style and included in the room rate for all four of us, this was a really nice bonus as we often stay at Premier Inns where this is an expensive extra. Really couldn't fault anything and if this is an example of Holiday Inn Express hotels then we will be staying again.

Room Tip: If you have an IPAD or Wifi enabled phone ask reception for a wireless router for your room, they pr...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent positive rating on trip advisor. We are really excited to have such positive feedback from our guests.

We have recently added the Wi-Fi connection as it was requested by you our guests, and we have truly listen to our guests requests, so I am really glad you found this useful.

We appreciate all of the feedback from our guests and we are truly happy that you enjoyed your stay here at Holiday Inn Express Colchester. All the staff at the hotel truly believe in our moto “great hotels guests love”.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to accommodating your future travel needs.

Kind regards,

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My as yet unanswered email of 20th July to the GM of this appalling establishment is below, not only have I had to write that complaint, but I have had absolutely no acknowledgment 5 days later, which has prompted me to escalate this matter:

Dear Sir/Madam

I write to express my thoughts on the shockingly poor stay I had at your hotel last night.  When I arrived at 18:45 to check in, there were 2 staff on, and just me and another guest checking in - it took, however more than 10 minutes for your receptionist to get me checked in - there was no paper in the printer, and once he had finally found some to print my invoice, it took an age given that there was clearly a huge print queue that started to print.  After a very long day and a 2 hour drive to Colchester all I wanted to do was check in quickly and go to my room.  Surely someone would have checked at the busiest time of day for check-in that you had sufficiently prepared? Clearly not.

Having finally got to my room, I had to come downstairs again as you don't have irons and ironing boards in your hotel - your iron burned my shirt and I got a half-hearted "sorry" and nothing else from your reception. Fortunately I had another shirt, but that then meant me having to come down AGAIN to iron that one.

By this time, I was fuming and just wanted to relax in my room, so I ordered your Burger and Movie package and asked for an Orange Juice and Lemonade to go with it, to which I was told "we don't do room service, but I'll put it on this time" in a tone that was made to sound as I was being afforded the ultimate in customer service.  Other guests, clearly worse for wear, were shouting and banging doors in the night, so I got an awful night's sleep and on check out I was informed that my drink was £3.49 which is absolute extortion for a soft drink.  The staff were of the attitude that they can't do anything about it and having paid, I went for breakfast.

The breakfast area was filthy, with cereal all over the worktop and bits of burned toast lying around, practically every unoccupied table had either dirty crockery and plates still on it or, if it was free, food remnants on the tables and chairs and a sheen of glass and cup stains on the tables, it was disgusting, extremely unhygenic and unpleasant.  I could not leave quickly enough.

I would therefore like to hear back from you with your thoughts and what compensation you are going to offer me as a result of this appalling experience - I will be submitting a review of your hotel and my experience tonight on trip advisor, as I always do when I travel, and I will wait for your response today before posting that.

I look forward to hearing from you soon with your offer of compensation.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin B
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor, I am sorry to hear your stay was not as you expected.

With regard to the printing issues, technical issues to occur and I appologise for the wait you endured during your check-in due to this. We do have 2 people on reception to ensure quick check in for our guests.

You mentioned that we don’t have irons in our hotel. It is Holiday Inn Express Brand Standard to have an ironing room available for guests to use rather than an iron in each room. I again am sorry you burnt your shirt and we have now provided new irons in our ironing room due to your comment. It is my understanding from staff that we did offer to take your shirt to dry clean and if that didn’t work offer compensation, although you did not offer your shirt for us to do this.

As a Holiday Inn Express Hotel unfortunately again It is not brand standard that we offer room service, although I’m very pleased to hear that a member of staff went above and beyond for our guest and took your meal to you.

Breakfast can be a busy time for us in our hotel, although we do aim to give great service and product and I have passed your comments to the restaurant staff.

I unfortunately on this occasion will not be offering you any compensation although I do thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

Ashley Walker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Colchester
Blue Ivy Hotel
#7 of 23 in Colchester
Dragonfly Hotel Colchester
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!