“Great value and caring attentive staff”

Holiday Inn Express Colchester
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed for three nights in total split 2 and 1 and each stay was a real pleasure.

The staff care about their guests, the rooms are very good, the breakfast plentiful and at the price it is very hard to beat. Location just off the A12 (far enough to be quiet) is ideal.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: All the rooms we stayed in were in very good condition with excellent beds and were very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked this hotel only two days prior to our stay at an exorbitant price but the premier inn was fully booked and there was no other half decent central hotel. We knew it was out of town but seemed within walking distance. There are no paths and the taxi was £28 round trip. Could have been worse but the very helpful and pleasant receptionist booked a cheap one. (She was the only member of staff we saw smile or who spoke to us during our stay).
We were worried about the isolation for our evening meal so I found a sample menu from the H.I. site before we booked and this looked fine. The menu we found when we returned at the end of a long hard day was very limited nothing like the sample, not to mention the 'restaurant' was nothing of the sort. We then had to go back into town to find somewhere decent to eat which we did.
The accommodation was usual Holiday Inn standard, in fact quite modern. The exception to this was the exceptionally small and old fashioned 'roll together' bed. I ended up on the settee.
We woke up in a positive mood looking forward to our 'free' breakfast. There were absolutely no tables free and the breakfast area clearly inadequate for the number of rooms. This was reinforced by the fact that there was virtually no food left (see photo). I had 4 lattes instead!
Eventually some burnt croissants and mushy sausages did appear but a lot of people had given up and left though at least we got a table then. For the first time in my life I left the sausages on the plate.
As in the title of this review, I would recommend you don't stay here unless you get it cheap and you have brought your own food. It really is in the middle of nowhere, difficult to get to and to return to up the dual carriageway and you will need to go to town for any decent amenities

Room Tip: Don't pay more than £30
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Brian M,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding your breakfast experience. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here a while back while visiting the local area with young family. Good bits - it's a fairly smart hotel, nice reception and communal areas - a bit more classy than Premier Inns which we generally find very acceptable. Additionally, the room was pleasant and well equipped. Bad bits - I would not have booked the hotel had I realised there was no bath. A 3 year old + shower really does not work. In fact, I've avoided Holiday Inn Express ever since as I assume most have this sort of set up, though I may be wrong. My only other slight grumble is the location, in the middle of nowhere basically so if you need to purchase a few provisions and don't fancy the garage forecourt then you could find yourself navigating your way up (and back) a dark stretch of the A12 a few miles to Colchester, seeking out the local Tesco. Overall, probably okay if you don't have young kids but otherwise I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Andrew P,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is nice to know that you found our reception area to be nice and the rooms well equipped. However, please accept my apologies if the lacking amenities in the bathroom facility were a disappointment. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and hope we get the opportunity to host you again soon.

Pam G

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We've used Holiday Inn Express hotels in several locations so, when we needed an overnight hotel near Harwich we chose the Holiday Inn Express at Colchester.
The location was slightly difficult to find as it could be seen from the nearby main road but getting to it proved to be circuitous.
We were greeted by the Canadian Deputy Manageress. We felt that nothing was too much trouble for her and we were made very welcome.
Due to mobility difficulties I'd booked an 'accessible' room. In common with other Holiday Inn Express buildings the accessible rooms are sometimes a long way from the reception area but our room was only six doors from reception. Far enough away to be quiet but not too far to be inconvenient.
These rooms have double beds and walk-in showers suitable for wheelchair users. The room was warm, clean and well appointed. There was plenty of tea and coffee along with a kettle in the room.
We did not eat at the hotel in the evening as we'd eaten on the journey. There is a garage, with well stocked food cabinets, on site. We bought sandwiches and cappuccino coffees there.
He had a quiet night with little noise from outside (our room faced the car park), or from adjoining rooms.
Breakfast was chaotic. It seemed that all of the residents had descended on the bar area at the same time. It was difficult to find sufficient seating. The 'complimentary' breakfasts are basic with a choice of orange or apple juice, tea/coffee, cereals, toast, croissants and sausages, baked beans and scrambled eggs.
We did not feel that we were being forced out so our check-out was leisurely.
As a cheap overnight stop Holiday Inn Express establishments can be good value but this one is exceptional in its style and quality. All staff I encountered were pleasant and eager to be of assistance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Danny the girl behind reception is not helpful . The manger which is Canadian is hard to understand . Also ask them to put England match on TV , to which they both replied no only if you go and fetch us a bag of harbo "very professional " . I have stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks and the professionalism has got worse . The holiday inn express is going down hill fast if these are the kind of people they employ . I could go on and on and a lot worse

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Liam33333
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Liam,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to lack of Professionalism my team has shown toward you. I’m sure this was meant as a light hearted joke, but still we have a service to provide to the highest standards to represent our hotel not only personally but globally as well. I will look into this matter and possible retraining where needed.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. I know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and I hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express Colchester for your future travel needs.

Ashley Walker

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights in September 2013. We cannot find one bad thing to say. The hotel was beautiful, it cost us 40 pds/night and they could have easily charged double. Every area of the hotel was spotlessly clean, bed very comfortable. Complimentary breakfast adequate. Any contact we had with hotel personnel was professional and helpful. Very nice young people on the desk. We found the hotel with no trouble but I'm sure that SatNav should be recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank spitfirebuff
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We pre paid for our room and the rate was 35 pounds which represented a fair price. Having read that other reviewers have paid up to 100 pounds, I am happy at this rate. 100 pounds is outrageous!!!!! It was clean and well maintained. The room was a family room but it could hardly be described as spacious but it served its purpose. The breakfast was ok. There were a few choices and was included in the rate. The location is pretty grim. Its right near a main road at the rear of a petrol station. Overall as a place to rest your head it was fine.....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear SH-Bahrain,

Thank you for staying with us. am pleased you liked your overall stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Colchester
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel
George Hotel of Colchester
George Hotel of Colchester
#22 of 23 in Colchester

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!