“Good value”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Driffield, United Kingdom
“Good value”
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed for one night and we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel especially for the price. Breakfast was busy, but perfectly acceptable, particularly as it was 'free'. The room was of a good standard and pretty clean, a little bit of dust here and there. We were on the first floor at the back and it was surprisingly quiet, bed was comfy and I slept well. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. A couple of negatives, the condition of the carpet in the upstairs corridor, some very dubious staining and a strong smell of disinfectant, fortunately the room was fine. I expect a new carpet would be a significant outlay, but it really does need doing, as it is quite off putting. And no whisky available on the bar at all, unless you count Jack Daniels, which we don't. Good place to stay for a night or two, but don't expect a five star experience and you will have to travel to get into town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Very nicely updated, clean and bright, and arguably the nicest hotel I have stayed at in 4 weeks bouncing around southern England. The location is not near anything but the A12, but the price was right, and I'm glad I stayed. The front desk staff was also very pleasant and professional.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Booked advance non-refundable rate @ £39. Was allocated rear-facing room with countryside view. Room basic but modern and pleasant. Small but neat shower room. Decent quality TV offered reasonable choice of TV and radio channels. Nice welcome from Receptionist. Breakfast disappointing - no cheese, overcooked weirdly coloured scrambled egg, the most disgusting coffee imaginable and very dilute, powdery orange juice. But cereals, yogurt, croissants, pain au chocolat, bread rolls and baked beans all good. Kitchen 'chef' miserable as can be - all attempts at getting a smile, response to any request, or even eye contact proved fruitless. He was clearly unhappy and/or uninterested. When checking out I noticed a sign advising that the company running this hotel is in administration. Might that explain things?

Room Tip: Ask for rear facing room to avoid A12 traffic noise and ask for first floor if you want any sort of...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear John A,

I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that you had a good check-in experience and you found our rooms to be comfortable enough. However, I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast with us. I have taken note of your feedback and this shall be addressed accordingly with our team to consider for improvements needed.

We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Regards,

Pam G
South West
Reviewed 27 November 2013

They do the so-called "pre-mixed" eggs and instant coffee. There's a perfectly good kitchen since they must be washing dishes, keeping things in a fridge, zapping the egg premix. How hard can it be to crack some eggs?

They've also "just run out" of toothpaste and, presumably, everything else so don't count on them having a razor or toothbrush if you forget to pack something.

There seems to only be WiFi in the lobby.

This place is proof that you can take saving the pennies a bit too far.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear ontheroadagain222,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased to note that you liked our rooms. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product. It is regrettable to hear that our breakfast option and bathroom amenities did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. We take all reviews very seriously and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Lera P
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Hairs in bed!!!
No soda water!!!
No vodka!!!
No cheese
Only for the 2 staff on duty I would have been outta there (young female & male)
Still waiting for points and hopefully I won't have to chase them for months like my last stay here!! Don't think I will be back...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Avril S,

Ben J
Whitby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay in Colchester. Generally very good for the money, friendly staff, good breakfast, clean & bright communal areas. The only problem was the lack of attention to detail in our room. The first night was fine but the next day there was only one hand & bath towel, the next day no tea had been left & a empty water bottle was on the floor at the side of the desk during our entire stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Basingstoke
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed with my wife and two children room 125 , one night stay, very tiny for two adults and two children. converted sofa bed with very poor quality mattress, hardly could sleep. I could feel the coil under the mattress.My wife has sprained her neck. Fortunately, we let our kids to sleep on main bed.
In the morning , during check-out, front office american accent lady asked me, how was our stay, I didn't complain, but said its OK stay.I think she took it as offence, she then asked if I need a receipt for which I told yes, and next moment I could see receipt almost thrown at me which is quite rude with no good bye. I understand she worked night-shift and annoyed for some reason,but need an ability to understand guests. Hope its a one-off issue.
Good points, nice break-fast, longue area, spacious bath, blue light, tv programmes well set for kids before arrival, nice calm bar waiter.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Prakash P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Prakash P,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service provided by our front desk which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Colchester
Blue Ivy Hotel
Blue Ivy Hotel
#7 of 23 in Colchester
Dragonfly Hotel Colchester

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!