“Not as good as the proper Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Express Colchester
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel is reasonably priced, although it should be, because it's nothing special and is basically stuck at the back of a petrol station.

I have stayed at the proper Holiday Inn in Colchester before and the Express is an economy version of it. Every expense is spared, even down to having two tea bags (for 4 people!) in the room. The sofa bed for the children was like sleeping on chicken wire. I know, because I used it and they slept with my wife in the proper bed.

The (admittedly free) breakfast consists of a machine dispensing instant coffee (or real coffee so weak it tastes instant) and another one with watered down fruit juices. Hot options are limited to poor quality sausages, scrambled egg and beans, with toast machine which you use once for underdone and twice for burnt. Croissants aren't much better and the pan au chocolat was uneatable. Pay a little more and go to the proper Holiday Inn. Better coffee, real fruit juices and they even cooked my wife a piece of smoked haddock for breakfast there.

The more I write the more I feel like downgrading it to two stars instead of my original three. Oh yes, the 'free' internet connection (wired Ethernet) in the room didn't work. There you go, two stars it is.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin2105
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Kevin2105,

Thank you for contacting us vie Tripadvisor regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the differences of our brands from IHG.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have stayed here before, and on this occasion found this hotel the cheapest in Colchester even lower in price than the nearby Premier Inn. It is important to be aware that you do need your own transport as the local bus service stops some one mile away so its a long walk. While the hotel is easily accessed from the southbound A12, you have to detour through country roads to reach it when traveling northbound. No problem if you know the area but might need Sat Nav if not a local.The hotel is clean and modern. The breakfast is standard Holiday Inn Express. The yoghurts are particularly cheap, and the overall choice is limited but hey its included in the price and you can eat as much or as little as you like. They do have an evening menu but this is particularly limited, but we found the Pizza and chips very tasty and well cooked. Given the overall package I prefer this hotel to Premier Inn / Travelodge and for the price - excellent value.

Room Tip: Hotel is far enough from A12 that rooms at the front are OK. There are no spectacular views, so eith...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank eagle1986

Dear Eagle1986,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Express Colchester. I appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing IHG.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We have recently spent 2 nights here and we usually stay in the larger holiday inns but in this occasion needed something more of a base so went for this cheaper version. The rooms are lovely and were very clean. Beds are smaller than those of the larger holiday inn but we're ok comfort wise for a couple of nights. The only room issue I have is a design issue with the mirror and hair dryer being almost opposite the bathroom door when the desk or dressing table is at the opposite end of the room with no mirror there so that was pain. Other than that the rooms was perfect for our needs. Hotel is new so all clean and fresh. Not a lot of staff. The receptionist is also the bar person but it's not busy so that was never a problem. Only front of house issues was the state of the tables at breakfast. Having read another review on here saying the same thing I would have thought the issues would have been dealt with but it would appear not. On both days we had to sit on a dirty table for breakfast despite mentioning the problem on day 1. The tables were eventually being cleared after half an hour of us being down there but they were never wiped clean so you are surrounded by others tea drips toast crumbs and bean drips on your table. Total let down and would probably be enough to put me off visiting again . Shame really as it really let's down a hotel on a good location. We usually stay at the Eight Ash Green holiday inn which is slightly further out of Colchester but has more facilities. We travel a lot down there to visit family. Granted it's more money but if a basic thing such as cleaning tables is missed front of house it does leave you wondering what's going on behind the scenes.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank GeordieApril

Dear GeordieApril,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the dining area tables not being cleared away promptly.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a few days, the location was central and to our needs, rooms were nice but we had issues with the fold out beds for the kids, these were unacceptable, however the night manager John was more than helpful and helped us make the best of the situation he went out of his way to make our stay more comfortable. Top man John!

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Alexcmurray

Dear Alexcmurray,

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Holiday Inn Express Colchester. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and in this case John our wonderful Night Porter and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Express Colchester a leader in excellence.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

As you will see from my previous reviews, I am not one for negative reviews ... however!!!!

I have stayed here before, albeit only B&B as I went out for dinner. Tonight I eat in ... eventually!!

Positives first ... Reception was fantastic ... Tamara (Canadian Host) was on form, very attentive and informative.

This is NOT a very busy hotel in the middle of town, so when asking about food was told that three dishes were off the (Limited) menu at 6.45pm .. and when arriving in the food area (NOT a restaurant!) was then informed that only three dishes were available! I choose one.

After 30 minutes ... when I enquired where my meal was, discovered that it had not been ordered!

60 seconds later ... it arrived ... Fresh from the MICROWAVE!!!

As compensation I was offered a free glass of wine .... Yummy Red Wine .... straight from the fridge!!!

Don't even ask me about the attitude of servers and muttered apologies ... Sorry ... NOT staying again ... oh and by the way I work for a LARGE local organisation!!!

Room Tip: Book in town!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RavingBonkers
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear RavingBonkers,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to lack of service and wait on food from the dining team. However it was nice to hear your kind comment about Tamara looking after you.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from IHG. Please would you be able to ring me direct on 01206 321510 or email on gm@express-colchester.com

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to accommodating your future travel needs.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My partner and I Stayed here for a weekend for our anniversary. Firstly we were very surprised at how out of the way the hotel was from Colchester centre, this we feel wasn't obvious on the website. The room its self was very clean and met the standards of which we paid. I would say its on par for the price but I have to say the breakfast was very poor. Tasteless scrambled egg burnt beans. The staff were very helpful and helped us to order a take away one night as there was no where to eat near by without driving. Overall I think if we were going to visit Colchester again we would certainly choose a hotel closer.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank samanthagough28
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear samanthagough28,

Thank you for contacting the Holiday Inn Express Colchester regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the Location of the hotel. It was equally disappointing to hear our breakfast was below standards and shall discuss this with our F&B team.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express Colchester for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This hotel is quite new and therefore still up together as far as decoration is concerned. It was very tidy inside and out.
The 'Great Room' is the bar and restaurant area which is not very welcoming. The small menu that is available for evening meals is very basic and quite expensive. The bar is also expensive.
The rooms were very clean and had a flat screen tv with limited channels.
The mattresses are VERY bouncy so if you have a double be warned you will be woken up every time your partner turns over. The second time we stayed there we opted for a twin room and we had a much better sleep.
It was good value for money( if you book early enough) and the room came with a free breakfast but I wouldn't recommend the sausages!
The hotel could do with better signage as it is situated behind a petrol station and difficult to spot.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane G
AshleyColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Jane G,

I wanted to explain that because the hotel is a brand there are certain rules we have to abide too. The menu, beds and television channels being only a few of the things we must comply too.

It’s nice to hear you enjoyed your Free Breakfast and your comments will be passed onto our F&B team regarding the sausages.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful and honest comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing IHG.

Ashley Walker

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Holiday Inn Colchester
Blue Ivy Hotel
Blue Ivy Hotel
#6 of 23 in Colchester
Best Western Marks Tey Hotel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colchester? Share your experiences!