Stayed here after eating a late lunch in Le Talbooth restaurant for our anniversary. The hotel is beautifully situated overlooking Dedham Vale. The grounds are lovely.
Staff were all incredibly attentive and friendly. Room service food was delivered exactly on time and was delicious (and very reasonably priced!). The garden room where we ate breakfast was pleasant and breakfast was tasty.
We stayed in Masefield room. It was large and well equipped. The bath was lovely and plenty big enough for two. The hot tub outside was a novelty as well. There were however a few gripes we had with the room. Firstly, there was a large patch of squashy peeling paint in the bathroom. This was very obvious on the wall and with rooms in this price bracket, was not acceptable. The grout in the shower was turning black in places. The bed was a zip and link type and both parts that made up the base were very slightly different heights. This meant you kind of rolled towards the middle of the bed if you were laying on the left hand side. The area outside where the hot tub was situated was neglected and a bit bleak. Furniture was stained out there and not neatly placed upon our arrival. It's a shame because those hot tubs could be a wonderful experience. With some soft planting and clever lighting, the area would be transformed. Finally and most disappointing was the heat in the room overnight. We stayed in December. It was cold outside but we actually slept with the outside door in the room open because the heat (despite our adjusting of the radiator) was stifling. It actually woke us both. I was so hot that I gave up on sleep in the end which was a real shame as we came away to get some well earned sleep.
I'd stay here again. However, the hotel could be absolutely fantastic with a few minor adjustments. If those happened then I'd not hesitate to recommend it and sample it more often!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When Maison Talbooth opened 40 years ago, it did so with a huge amount of publicity andit certainly had the WOW factor. At that time, there were very few quality hotels in the country, hardly any en–suite bathrooms and certainly no televisions in the rooms. We have since added 3 fabulous new bedrooms, the Garden Room restaurant, a swimming pool (open all year and heated to a sizzling 30 deg) with outside hot tub, pool house and tennis court.During your stay with us, be sure to book in for a relaxing massage, facial, manicure, or range of other treatments, in our Day Spa. A highlight of your stay will be lunch or dinner at Le Talbooth restaurant, a minute away by courtesy car. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Maison Talbooth reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Talbooth Dedham, Colchester
- Maison Talbooth Hotel Dedham