“Pure Class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Great Totham, United Kingdom
“Pure Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

A one night stay at this true luxury hotel.
How nice to stay at a top hotel that is a true top hotel. Fantastic rooms, fantastic outdoor pool but the best staff you could wish for. After only being there for one night I felt like I had know the staff for years. They just could not do enough. They served us a lovely breakfast by the pool drove us down to le talbooth restaurant and picked up up. Seriously if you want to stay in a pure class hotel in lovely surroundings then this is the one. See you again very soon

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Proper service by smart I.e intelligent staff that are well informed and versed in how to provide good service.

Great afternoon tea. Lovely rooms and the newish Spa is great too.

You should really try it.

Room Tip: Spend more money.
2 Thank MarkHippo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

My mother and I had a 'special offer of the month' spa treatment and thoroughly enjoyed the experience; it was so relaxing and the staff very pleasant. Afterwards we had a sandwich in the lounge area and Stephanie couldn't do enough to make us welcome. I text my friends whilst there and we will be coming for a spa session/afternoon tea soon. A big thank you to Maison Talbooth staff, you provide an excellent service!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 200STACEY123
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is a lovely luxurious small boutique hotel and our stay from beginning to end was perfect. From the moment we arrived and were greeted by extremely helpful and happy staff until we departed, nothing was too much trouble. We had lovely hot sunny weather and so were able to make full use of the swimming pool and pool house. Our room, Keats, (more of a suite really) was huge. It had the biggest and most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and the quality of the bedding was divine. The bathroom was amazing, a huge shower with lovely strong jets, and a sunken bath. It was total luxury. Our deal included a meal in Milsoms, just down the road, and we were taken there (and later collected) by a member of staff in the hotels Range Rover. Before retiring to bed we were asked if there was anything else they could do for us and then bid good night. Breakfast the next morning was top quality. Again we were greeted warmly. There is plenty of choice, from the cereals, fresh fruits and pastries to the many and varied options of a cooked breakfast. The quality of the produce was excellent and the bacon particularly tasty. It may be a little expensive but it is really worth it for a special occasion. I must again reiterate the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, they really do this lovely place justice.

2 Thank Claire S
Bury St Edmunds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Brief stay at this lovely hotel whilst working in Colchester.

Arriving late after a show there was someone to open the door, show the room and serve drinks and food. Even though it was late there was no sense that the staff were trying to close up.

The room was huge, big very comfy bed and a huge and well designed bathroom. Cannot fault the room in fact- the styling might not be to everybody's taste- but it had a great view overlooking the Dedham valley that I challenge anyone to fault.

Overslept for breakfast, but coffee and pastries were brought up. My only real criticism was that i was unable to enjoy the pool and spend the rest of the day at the hotel- there was a wedding in- and perhaps felt a little that they were keen to see the hotel empty, of course understandably for the new guests.

It is a small and boutique hotel with personal service- the prices are not cheap and even with a deal the hotel competes with top prices London hotels, yet there is much to recommend. The hotel has various sister hotels and a restaurant off site and has clearly developed a loyal following.

Anyone wanting a romantic weekend could do a lot worse.

3 Thank alastairwhatley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We recently stayed here to celebrate my GF's 30th Birthday. I had booked up a few months beforehand as I knew the hotel was very popular and gets booked up very fast, especially on Saturday's which was the day we stayed.

The booking area team were very helpful and quick to respond to my enquiries. They recommended that the Shakespeare Suite was one of their premium rooms so I went with that choice.

Upon arrival we were politely welcomed and shown to our seating area for the afternoon tea I had additionally arranged. The food was fantastic and presented very well. Each plate on the tier was explained in detail and the staff were very attentive throughout the tea.

On to the room - very impressive! The suite had its own reception area, spacious bedroom and a huge on-suite bathroom. The room also had its very own hot-tub just outside on it's almost private patio area. The bed was very comfortable which I'll come back to in a minute.

I also booked my GF in for a full body massage that afternoon which she highly recommended. The only negative concern she had was the route in which she was escorted to the Spa treatment room by a member of staff. She had to walk through the main hotel lobby area and up the stairs in her bath robe before the treatment began. She thought it might be a little less intrusive if she was allowed to get changed in the treatment room instead or perhaps been taken to the room by an alternative route (a more discreet route).

That evening we had dinner reservations at Le Talbooth. The hotel provided courtesy transport to the restaurant for all guests with reservations. Due to a bit a queue in the lobby for the transportation we were late for the reservation (I imagine 8pm is a popular time to dine). This wasn't a problem though with the restaurant and made no difference in the end. Upon arriving at the restaurant we were asked if we would like to have a drink at the bar before our meal which we did. Whilst having a drink we were provided with a menu for the restaurant and then shortly after, a waiter was taking our food orders for dinner which I found a bit weird. Although, everybody else was being asked so I assume it was the way the restaurant normally operated. The food and service itself was outstanding, worth every penny! The Chateaubriand was great!

All in all a very nice stay. My only real upsets were a couple of things. The weather was pretty miserable so we couldn't fully use all swimming pool facility. Also - back to the bed situation - we had only been back in the UK for one day upon check-in (We had just flown back from Mexico). I think the lack of sleep the day before really hit us as we overslept and completely missed breakfast the following morning as a result. I did inform the reception area of this when we checked out however, I found it a bit disappointing that we wasn't offered a quick tea/coffee or something as a little consolation to missing breakfast. I completely accept it was our fault we missed it but I just felt a little bit more could have been done considering it cost me almost £800 that night. On to my last point - I was almost billed and charged for another guest's SPA treatment also but after querying this the receptionist was quick to rectify their mistake.

All in all - A very enjoyable stay, just a little bit disappointed with the ending.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GMNEV81
Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Had a meal here in December 2013.
food was excellent as was the service, felt like we had a value for money, food was delicious and the wine menu was extensive, the whole experience felt special and we will certainly be returning.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Briankath40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Prested Hall Hotel
#10 of 24 in Colchester
GreyFriars
GreyFriars
#4 of 24 in Colchester

Been to Maison Talbooth? Share your experiences!