“Really lovely small and friendly hotel.”
Review of Milsoms Hotel

Milsoms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dedham
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in order to eat at Le Talbooth, a complimentary car to the restaurant was a great touch.

Well appointed rooms with clean and modern bathroom.

The bar was busy but the vodka and orange was delicious made with fresh orange juice!

Unfortunately at some point during the night some unpleasant guest at either the hotel or restaurant drove into our car in the car park and didn't bother to provide their details or leave a note! Not a nice end to our stay.

As we speak the hotel are checking the CCTV which clearly shows our car and we hope to have a number plate shortly to report the culprit to the Police.

The staff were very efficient and polite and we would stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We initially tried booking Maison Talbooth but it was fully booked. We'd never stayed at either before so didn't mind trying Milsoms. Welcoming staff,nothing too much trouble. Lovely big room with high ceilings. Comfy bed with high thread count bedding,exceptionally comfortable. I understand the building is old but the floor boards were really creaky. This became a problem at night as my husband woke me up when he went to the loo! Nice looking bathroom but very impractical shower head that was coming out of the ceiling. The folding shower screen was not wide enough and part of the rubber was missing and no matter how careful we were we couldn't stop the floor from getting a soaking. The lead to the kettle was too short so did not reach the unit near the plug,didn't stop me from using it but had to leave it on floor whilst waiting for it to boil. We were on the first floor and could hear every noise, including the phone,coming from reception.
Staff throughout our stay were very friendly and helpful. We got a table in the restaurant easily, service was good,lovely food. Although some of my comments have been negative I would still go back.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I took my partner here for a birthday surprise. Milsons were promoting a romantic month. Champagne on ice awaited us, heart shaped chocolates, and one red rose. (Which I took home and it lasted for a week). Our room had been upgraded, to The Loft. It was unsuitable for us. We are 70+ the room is cramped, the slopping eaves although attractive give limited space. The comfortable chairs, were situated in the bathroom, no use what-so-ever, not enough room in the bedroom, for the chairs. Everything was clean and well presented, but to us, not of practical use. My partner is of average height, and had to be careful, not to bump his head. We ate in the restaurant. The restaurant was extremely busy, our food was quite delicious, no complaints there.

Room Tip: Refuse the upgrade to the Loft, unless you are very small.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had a great stay here... This is a good hotel and can highly recommend it. On arrival we had a warm and friendly welcome.. One of the receptionists accompanied us to the room. The room was clean, tidy and nicely presented and decorated, we were in a deluxe room facing the back of the hotel and overlooking the garden. I never travel without my goose down pillow but on this occasion I had forgotten it so I was absolutely delighted to find, upon entering into the bedroom feather pillows and duvet and with that I knew I was going to get a good nights sleep!! The drink facilities in the room were excellent.. There were 5 different types of teas and several coffees, hot chocolates and biscuits, there was also plenty of milk - 10 sachets! In the mini fridge there was complimentary 2 bottles of coke, 2 water and 2 juice.. We wanted to take a walk before dinner and the receptionist advised us well and gave us a map of the area.. Dinner is served in the main restaurant which is open all day and has a rustic appearance and serves brasserie style/ gourmet food. There was plenty to choose from on the menu, something for everyone from battered cod and chips and cottage pie to rump of lamb and venison and there was ample of the plates. The desserts were equally tempting.. We had 3 courses and all were delicious. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful in particular,Conor in the restaurant, who took time to talk to us with passion about the rest of the Milsom group hotels and restaurants.. We will definitely be going back...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Absolutely love it here. Never failed to do anything but impress. Food is amazing, stayed a few times over the last year too and can't fault the rooms! A little bit pricey if going out for a meal on the off chance but perfect for any occasion be it birthdays or anniversaries. My husband to be proposed to me here, so it will always be a special place for us both! Thank you Milsoms!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We Love This
Food is perfect, setting is perfect, so much so that I proposed here and stayed the night,
if your very very fussy or a Meldrew family member than you can find fault with some decor and some untidy parts,
Great Food, Great Service, Great location, Great just great....

Room Tip: spent time talking to whoever is taking the booking or visit and check out the room's first
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My sister hired Mr G's for the family to celebrate my nieces 18th birthday. We had not seen the room beforehand but our first impressions were excellent and the evening continued in the same vein. The room has been tastefully decorated and the table looks amazing when the candleabras were lit. Waiting staff were very attentive and continually filling glasses and making sure everyone had what they wanted nothing was to much trouble for them. The food was gorgeous and could not be faulted. My only tiny gripe would be that there was a bit of a delay in getting everyone's meals out and some had to start eating before others food had arrived.
All in all fabulous place to have a celebration and will definitely be using it again in the future!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank val555_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedham
Maison Talbooth
#3 of 23 in Colchester
Blue Ivy Hotel
Blue Ivy Hotel
#6 of 23 in Colchester

Been to Milsoms Hotel? Share your experiences!