“Lovely area”
Review of Cotswolds

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
East Yorkshire
38 helpful votes
“Lovely area”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Lots of lovely little shops, plenty of cafés and eating places. Visited lots of Cotswolds villages, Worcester, Leamington Spa, Stratford- upon-Avon, Broadway was beautiful. Plenty of car parks.

Brighton, Massachusetts, United States
1 helpful vote
“Tour of the Cotswolds”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

About a month ago, I was visiting my friend who's working on her PhD at Oxford. We were nearing the end of my trip and had already done both London/Paris. We were looking for something to do in the countryside as a change of pace. We originally planned on renting a car and driving ourselves around the Cotswolds. We didn't realize how early all the rental car places would close on Saturday (soccer starts at noon and all the rental car places closed at noon. Coincidence? I think not!)

On Saturday night, we scrambled around the internet, made a bunch of phone calls, and found guided tours offered by Ken Fowler. A Google search of "cotswolds fowler tours" produces his website as the first result.

When we first spoke with Ken on the phone, we had agreed upon a meeting point in Oxford. Turns out, the street was shut down for a giant carnival, but Ken had parked his car at the end of the street and walked down to meet us at the original meeting point.

We immediately drove out to the Cotswolds, starting in Ken's hometown of Burford. Out of all the villages, we spent the most time here. The great part about Ken's tour is that it's not a "this event happened here in this year" type of tour. Since Ken grew up in the Cotswolds, it's more of a "this family lived in this house and sat two pews in front of us in church" type of tour. We started our time in Burford by checking out the village church. We then wandered around the neighborhood, checking out both homes and the main commercial street. We actually ended up bumping into one of Ken's childhood friends while we were there and she invited us over to her house for tea. Ken no longer lives in Burford (he's since moved out to the suburbs), but his friend still lived in the village. We sat out in her backyard and had tea for about 20 minutes. It was a uniquely authentic, British experience and one I don't think I'll ever forget.

We drove through about 6 or 7 more villages (I would estimate) and stopped in 1 of them, taking the time to meander around and grab a snack. I forget the name of the village, but it had a nice square in the middle of the village, which Ken said was unique to the Cotswolds. Although Ken didn't grow up here, he still knew a lot about the village and was able to provide us with some interesting facts.

When the tour was over, Ken dropped us back in Oxford at the same point where we had initially met. Our tour lasted 4 hours, which I think is just the right amount of time. I think this is Ken's preferred style as well (4 hour increments), so that he's able to do a tour in the morning and the afternoon.

All in all, Ken is an extremely likeable and knowledgeable tour guide. The Cotswolds are a beautiful area (pictures attached). I highly recommend doing a tour of the Cotswolds as a complement to any London vacation and I highly recommend Ken Fowler as a tour guide.

1 Thank jscola11
England
“Morton in Marsh”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

A lovely place in the Cotswolds. The surrounding countryside is very beautiful with many historic attractions.
The guest house my husband and I stayed at was in the village of Blockley and I can highly reccommend it. Arreton House is owned by John and Gloria Baylis and they are most friendly and hospitable. We occupied a very comfortable and spacious bedroom overlooking the garden and glorious countryside. The lovely four-poster bed was most welcome and the room was serviced to a high standard each day. Hearty breakfasts were provided with a wide variety of options. A well appointed and cosy visitors lounge has a TV and a collection of books. It was a pleasure to sit on the beautiful patio adjoining the lounge and garden. This has a fish pond, fountain and several tables and chairs for guests use. It was helpful to observe the excellent selection of local information and tourist attraction leaflets. Overall, Arreton House is the perfect location within a scenic and historic Cotwold village. It provides the ideal base for exploring the splendid countryside.

Charlotte, NC
5 helpful votes
“Beautiful Villages”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

In September of 2010, I visited the Cotswolds and in in Sept of 2011, I will be making my second trip. This is a most see place, you can go from one Village to the other within a few miles. These Villages have the romance and the beauty of many places seen in movies, like Howard's End etc.. the Roman influence is clearly seen seen in the structure of the cannals and bridges, that run through the middle of some of the Villages. The cottages are hundreds of years old and are built from a yelowish/rose tone stones, which keeps and all around palet; they have aged gracefully through the years. They are all surrounded by manicured gardens and beautiful flowers, cascating from windows and hanging baskets all around. There are shops and Tea houses, B&B and traditional Pubs, which have preserved the romantic Victorian era.

It is as if time stands still and you have been transported to an old painting handging in a gallery. Words would not do justice to these places, nested on the country side on England. The fields are splending sites waiting to be captives of an avid photographer. It is a most to see place and I advise for anyone that would like to visit to book private tours, there are plenty this area, and when planned in advance, they would take you to specific places of your choice. I was fortunate to enjoy one of those, with a driver that in native of the area and gave all sort of detail information and history. Enjoy your holiday and make marvelous memories by visiting this side of England.

2 Thank angieCharlotte_NC
Kentucky
32 helpful votes
“Tour the Cotswolds with Chris Peake”
Reviewed 25 February 2011

If you don't want to fight the crowds, figure out how to drive on the other side of the road, or decide which charming Cotswolds villages to visit, then I suggest booking a tour with Chris Peake. You can find him on line reading about him and his tour possibilities. My husband and I booked an all day tour with Chris. We had a great time visiting those out of the mainstream Cotswolds towns along with some of the more popular towns too. Chris designed a tour based on what we wanted to see. We enjoyed his commentary and he really knows the area as he lives there. Relaxing for my husband and I to not have to plan at all, just show up and enjoy. (We usually plan every little detail).
Chris emailed us a very long list of all the places we visited so we could add to our travel log upon our return home.
We highly recommend Chris and hope you will enjoy your visit as much as we did!

3 Thank BevCS

Been to Cotswolds? Share your experiences!