“Nice hotel in a beautiful settling but it is pricey”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bibury
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Lovely hotel. Nice staff. Great room but food and drinks far too expensive for very small portions. My husband ordered soup for lunch which was mushroom and thyme and one of the best soups we've ever had but even though the bowl was big, it was shallow in the middle and actually the size of a child's portion. Not good for a cold and hungry man, oh and no bread either. That's was extra I guess.
I ordered afternoon tea which came on a slate with three tiny finger sandwiches, the smallest scone in the world and a slice of cake. It was substantial to ease my hunger but at nearly £12 I would have expected to pay that for 2 people, not one. Too expensive.
The restaurant food again very small portions and was quite nice but we had a better meal in the pub restaurant up the road, the Catherine Wheel. Not so exclusive and good home cooked food with bigger portions for the cost.
Saying this the breakfast was very good and lots of it although I was a little disappointed in the hollandaise sauce as I wasn't sure if it was homemade or from a jar. Apologies if it is homemade but I've had and made better.
A special occasion hotel for sure but we wouldn't go back there

Room Tip: Four poster bedrooms have spa baths and walkin showers with double sinks. Cottages have hot tubs bu...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Swan Hotel

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We went for a delightful little Winter stroll around Bibury and it's surrounds and finished it off with a stop here for some food. The outside of the pub is beautiful but the inside feels a bit generic and you could be anywhere. I ordered a burger and chips and my partner a pulled pork sandwich. It was nice but somewhat uninspiring and a little expensive. The onion rings do deserve an honorable mention however. If you are looking for Cotswold charm then perhaps just enjoy the view from the outside otherwise you might be a little disappointed.

2  Thank MLDH36D
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I and our dog stayed one night at the Swan Hotel in Bibury, England. It is a charming hotel near the river in Bibury! The rooms are very pretty with special touches and beautiful windows; it makes you feel as if you are staying in a manor house rather than a hotel. The bar area is quaint with it's roaring fireplace, nice comfortable furniture and great food and drinks! The restaurant is striking with it's floor tile from an old Spanish church. The food was amazing and the staff were so helpful and fun! The waitresses had fun giving our dog treats as we ate our dinner in the bar. They made it a point to reserve a spot for us so we could bring our dog and eat meals in the bar by the fire. Beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting; we highly recommend it!

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be nice, but most were on the upper floors. If you need a lower floor room, y...
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We have stayed at a number of hotels within the group and were looking forward to staying at The Swan. The staff, as always, were polite and efficient, the hotel clean and the decor of a good standard.
However, the view from our window was of the rear of the hotel where the staff 'nipped out for a fag'. Not ideally what I wanted to see.
Whilst having breakfast in the Restaurant, we watched a KP (Kitchen Porter) walk from the kitchen, through the restaurant, bar and reception area. Not a hanging offence by any means, but I personally don't want to see a scruffy KP in a dirty apron walking out of the kitchen that has just prepared my food. Someone in sharp whites and checks might be different, but a dirty looking KP sends all the wrong messages to me.
This happened a number of times and should have waited until service was over. Just not pleasant.
It happened to be Valentime's night when we stayed and we were hoping for for just a pleasant evening and good food. The food was good and the service and staff did not dissapoint. The restaurant seating and layout was a different matter. The tables were so close together that you felt you were intruding on your neighbours evening, and they on yours. I had to excuse myself to the couple next to us when standing up because I couldn't do so without brushing against their table.
I've scored the Hotel 'average' when it should have at least been 'very good'. unfortunately, the things that stick in our minds are the things I've mentioned above.
Sharper management and a re-think of the restauarnat required post haste.

Room Tip: Not number 17
4  Thank Mortgagemiser
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Can't fault this hotel - most amazing location, food, service, rooms - just perfect. We spent an amazing weekend here in May and there is really nothing that could have been done to make the weekend any more amazing - helps that we got engaged here as well! Such a wonderful place - dinner, drinks and breakfast were all absolutely amazing as was the standar dof our rooms and the bar/restuarant and outdoor areas. Such a beautiful location to make such special memories. The staff even got us an engagement card! Can't wait to visit many more times!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leeds_social
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed for one night whilst touring the Cotswolds. It's a beautiful little village and the Swan is a lovely hotel. It is tastefully decorated and clean. My room did not have a very good view (I did ask for one but view was out to the back) but did have a HUGE bathroom. I had dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent, as was the incredible breakfast the next morning. I did have one problem - the people in the room opposite me obviously had a dog with them. During the evening the dog was barking constantly from about 19.00 to 19.30hrs and this was probably because it had been left on its own in the room as after I heard people returning it went quiet. Whilst annoying I was just watching TV then and so was not a huge issue. However, I was not feeling well and went to bed early at 21.00 but just as I was just nodding off the dog started barking again and did so for quite a while. In the end I had to call down to reception to complain and the man who answered the phone could even hear the dog barking down the phone! The matter was resolved when someone went back to the room and the dog stopped, so the hotel did deal with the complaint, but unfortunately by then my sleep was disturbed for the rest of the night. Next morning when I checked out they asked me if everything was OK so I did say about the dog barking, it turns out the man checking me out was the one on the phone the night before. They did apologise but didn't offer any kind of recompense for a disturbed nights sleep, sadly. (Premier Inn would!) Perhaps they should consider this, after all they are taking a risk accepting dogs in the hotel, especially if it affects other customers. I don't have an issue with dogs at a hotel but I do when it means I can't sleep! Anyway, that aside I would stay there again for sure as it was a lovely place and they did deal with the problem immediately. The breakfast was top notch!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TravellingTree
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife wanted a short stay some where so booked the Swan Bibury for two nights as my brother
lives close by on arrival we were greeted and give a room at the front over looking river although the road is in front of hotel very little noise we had a walk round the village and fish farm lovely very peaceful. The evening meal was excellent as was the service breakfast was excellent very good selection bacon great nice to eat fresh produce in all our stay was great will go again but for longer as its great base to use to visit the cotswald well done

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank stvclark47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bibury
Barnsley House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Kings Head Hotel
Kings Head Hotel
#2 of 8 in Cirencester

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!