“great staff but the little things failed....”
Review of The Swan Hotel

The Swan Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bibury
Reviewed 18 May 2014

first visit and after recent poor reviews we wondered if it was an error, glad to say all was ok..
Parking outside was tight but we found a spot, got into room a little early and the lady on reception was good.. Room was of average size with a large bathroom and it had a 4 poster bed... good size tv and a nespresso maker..free wifi and clean linen. Molton Brown shampoo etc was nice to see...

Bar had a limited choice of draught beer but it was cold and nice, again staff were friendly..

Restaurant was quiet and food turned up quickly.. I had a fillet steak which came with chips and onion rings..the steak was cooked PERFECTLY, the onion rings however were a different story, thin strip of burnt onion in a thick hard greasy batter, I had to leave them... My wife had fish and was very happy with the quality...
We returned to room 1 which had the 4 poster and 'tried' to get some sleep...the bed creaked and groaned and was far too soft..every time one of us moved it sounded like the bed would fall apart..

Evening meal on the Saturday was nice, except the white wine turned up warm so it was put in an ice bucket? And call me fussy but if you cannot serve wine don't try...you do not pull the cork out of the bottle through the metal leaving a jagged edge, nor do you pour it 8 inches above the glass so it spills everywhere...

For breakfast we had bacon and scrambled egg which was lovely the first morning, but on a Sunday..yuck...tasted like catering eggs so very powdery and watery ..not nice at all.. my wife had eggs Benedict and that was good..toast was served cold and sent back...

To sum up...
Room 1 had no decent view (just a flat roof) the luxury 4 poster was small, creaked and was not good to sleep on...
Food was good in the most part but expensive for what you got..some aspects of the food were poor and showed a lack of quality control in the kitchen.
Staff were polite, worked hard but did not know the basics, this could easily be cured with a little training but no doubt being cheap foreign workers I doubt there is much training that goes on if any... we had a nice time away but felt the Hotel was no where near the standard they advertise..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Les666

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We had read previous poor reviews and decided we would give the swan a chance to be better than them. We so wanted it to be good. However we were disappointed, the setting is idyllic and should give the diner an amazing experience . It didn't help that the gates were being painted right next to the outdoor dining area on the first really warm day of the summer, so the smell of paint does not help. The food was generally ok but the service was poor. The staff who attended our table struggled with English . We had had our main course and decided to order some puddings and coffee. We asked for the coffee to come after the puddings but they came before and in fact we'd drunk them by the time the puddings arrived. Sorry but we would not return

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janet F
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We arranged to spend a weekend in this hotel and chose a very nice but quite expensive room. When we arrived the greeting at reception was not at all welcoming and the performance of reception throughout our stay was quite unacceptable. Our room was very nice as we had expected it to be but issues to come! Dinner that evening was shocking - almost burnt very dry steak, inedible chips with shocking presentation. The wine list was good though. The following morning the cooked breakfast was very poor - hard poached eggs, cold fatty bacon and inedible sausages. We then had a great day out in beautiful countryside and returned to our room to find no wifi (which had worked previously), no hot water for a pre-dinner shower, no heating and a cold towel rail. After much discussion with reception (and having been told by a staff member when they checked it that the water was hot when it clearly wasn't!!) they switched on the hot water!! and it came hot in about 10 minutes. I heard other guests complaining about some of these issues too and at bedtime they had been rectified!! Breakfast on the second morning was as awful as the previous day!! We were really disappointed having spent a lot of money on a nice room that the basic facilities and restaurant were so poor and the staff responses to our issues quite inadequate. We shall not return and do not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank smith069
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Returning to this hotel following our wonderful previous stay, the staff at reception remained as friendly however we were in smaller rooms than the last visit, although still comfortable and clean.

The bar area only had one real ale on, where previously there was far more choice and ordering lunch the service was slow and not particularly friendly. This was a shame as the BLT sandwich was the best my partner had ever had, a pigs platter was shared which was overpriced for the small amount of food on the platter and the pulled pork was average.

For dinner, it took an incredible 50 minutes from point of ordering to our starters arriving, which was not surprising it took 20 minutes for our order to be taken and for one of us to approach the staff requesting that we can place our order. The food was of a good standard however which made it more frustrating.

The food quality has not changed much however the general quality of bar / restaurant staff seems to have deteriorated since our last visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank legend187
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We had the most amazing wedding day at The Swan Hotel, it was the perfect setting, the sun was shining and we had our ceremony outside in the beautiful gardens along side the river. The staff were fantastic ALL day, polite and always accommodating. Charlotte (wedding co-ordinator) had taken in every little detail and made sure it was fulfilled for us on the day. We had booked all the rooms in the hotel for our guests and everybody was complimentary about the cleanliness, the contemporary décor, how spacious the rooms are, the wonderful views, ours (room 11) was especially stunning with a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi and double shower cubicle! And a super coffee machine! The food for our 3 course wedding breakfast for 50 guests was outstanding. And breakfast (included in the room) was also lovely with a wide choice, I can recommend the Bibury Trout!
My wife and I would definitely recommend The Swan Hotel in a picturesque village as the perfect wedding venue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MrsandMrs2014
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I am tour leader. My group from Thailand took a vacation to UK. We chose to stay at the Swan hotel Bibury. we stayed there from April 15th to April 16th. We picked your hotel because of the lovely town, beautiful garden and room and some positive reviews I had read on line.

We had a great vacation in Scotland and Britain. However I was very disappointed in the check in services.

I found a very terrible check in service and bad tempered person when I had check in, she threw the check in file in front of me instead of help me and concisely collect all the room keys to put on the doors of every rooms.

When my customer forgot the jacket in the hotel. I asked the hotel to send it to the hotel we stayed in London but the Swan hotel refused to help to send it and told me to manage someone to pick up at the Swan hotel Bibury. when I was in London, the hotel I stayed tried to help me in any ways but it cost too expensive to manage the courier service and ester holiday. When I was back to Thailand. I sent the email but not any respond.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank wuttichai v
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just had a one night stay at The Swan, what a lovely hotel, in a picturesque setting opposite the river. Traditional hotel with contemporary style decor. Bedroom overlooking gardens and river, very nicely done with good bathroom and Molten Brown gels etc only negative was the room did get hot despite turning off the heating and having windows open. There was a cosy sitting room with welcoming log fire. The bar was also an Attractive place for a few drinks, we thoroughly enjoyed the dinner, very nicely presented, as was the breakfast. Would certainly recommend this hotel in a charming small village.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CMF84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bibury
The Slaughters Country Inn
9 mi away
The Lamb Inn
The Lamb Inn
#2 of 8 in Burford

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!