“Popped in for tea”
Review of The William Morris

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bibury
The William Morris
Ranked #3 of 3 Bibury B&B and Inns
Reading
“Popped in for tea”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

A charming little place in the middle of a charming little village. Apparently this is one of the most beautiful places in England - and even with the flooding all around I have to say it is gorgeous today.

Tea rooms are simple but the sell tea, coffee and cake with a slight twist of eclectic mismatch....plus since it's so cold outside the open log fire is a big bonus!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank InMyHumbleOpinion

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Outstanding location-charming room and collection of old and antique teapots. The tired owners evidently think that is enough.It isn't- service- was slow -the slice of cake that was ordered was forgotten and tea was served in a pot with broken and glued lid.To top that the owner preparing the tea had a persistent cough as he handled the various teabags.It is a real pity as Bibury would greatly benefit from a classic tearoom which are mostly hyper hygenic and hyper efficient.In the meantime for tea or snack go to the Trout Farm or the Swan.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank russelmorris

Travellers are raving about these Bibury hotels

Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I recently stayed at The William Morris. Jacqueline and Ian were very friendly and accommodating and couldn't do enough for us. The breakfast far exceeded our expectations of a continental breakfast and our room was nice and clean. If we decide to stay in Bibury again in the future we will have no hesitation about staying there again.

Room Tip: There are only two rooms at The William Morris on the front overlooking the river. It was very pret...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 41ChristineJ
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed at the William Morris last Friday night, and am prompted to write a review because it has had some odd reviews which don't tally with our experience.
The accommodation was very comfortable and well-appointed. The breakfast was wonderful - much better than a full English and much better for you. Finally the couple who run it are really nice, friendly helpful people.
I would strongly recommend anyone who wants a quiet, comfortable stay in the Cotswolds to go there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob L
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We went in for a coffee fully expecting quality to match the decor, which is cottagy and welcoming. What a let-down! I had a very small cup of decaf coffee, was charged £2.25 for it when the menu clearly states £1.95. My wife had a very small cup of hot water and slice of lemon, and was charged £1.95! which was then reduced to £1.50. We don't mind paying for water/lemon, but this is ridiculous! We have never had to pay this much for water before!

I recommend finding a cup of coffee elsewhere in Bibury - anywhere would be better!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R_C187049
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I have never written a review on TripAdvisor before but this experience has upset me so much that it has encouraged me to do so.
My friends and I decided at the spur of the moment to take a trip up to Bibury for the weekend and were searching and calling up tirelessly for last minute hotel bookings for a night there. As expected, all hotels in the area were packed though at our last chance call we managed to get through to William Morris. At first, the person on the phone seemed alright telling me about the rooms but when I got a little excited and began to talk a little faster than I do, she told me off straight away. I was put off by her rudeness but as we were in desperate need for a room, I laughed it off.
Our one night stay there was tremendously terrible. The elderly couple mending the place didn't seem very friendly towards us (probably because we were young Asians) when we first checked in and only seemed slightly pleasant when we were paying up for the rooms (GBP 85 for the smaller room and GBP 95 for the larger one). The same woman whom I talked to over the phone earlier on brought us up to our rooms and briefly showed us around. I then proceeded to ask her if there were any guests in the place and she said no. There were only 2 rooms available in the place and my friends and I had occupied both of them.
After dinner at a nearby restaurant, we came back to rest and being with friends, we began to gossip and talk albeit quite loudly among one another. We thought that that wouldn't be much of a problem since no one else was staying there at the time. However, as I was leaving to go over to my room, the same woman appeared suddenly at the corridors and told us quite tersely to keep our voices down. We apologized and went back to bed.
The following morning, we went down for the complimentary breakfast and were quite disappointed with the food. The choices were limited and we couldn't believe that they were awarded Breakfast of the Year Award in 2011. After the breakfast, we had to pack and leave as the check-out time was 10.30am. As we were planning not to leave Bibury till late afternoon, we asked the couple if we could leave all our bags with them for a few hours. They didn't even bat an eyelid when they said we couldn't. Judging by the spacious kitchen and living areas of the house, we knew that they didn't like our presence and were simply making up excuses to make us leave quicker. We got the hint and left.
Our experience was further marred when we were enjoying ourselves at the Bibury Trout Farm when I got a call telling me promptly that they wanted to have a word with us. Apparently, my friend had accidentally burnt one of their blankets in the larger room and they wanted compensation for it. My friends had to walk all the way back to the place and were apologizing profusely when they got there. However, the same rude woman stood there holding up the blanket and said that 'it was a stupid thing to do'. At that time, it was lunch hour and there were several tourists in the kitchen who watched and heard the woman call my friends stupid repeatedly. In my opinion, being the owner of a B&B and wanting to attract future customers, name- calling their previous customers in front of other customers is the lowest thing I have ever encountered with anybody in my life. My friends were appalled by her lack of tact, paid her up immediately and left without a word.
So to caution fellow tourists looking to stay in Bibury, William Morris is not the place for you if you're planning to stay there a couple days. One night for us was already a nightmare. Apart from the aforementioned issues as mentioned above, the rooms and the entire place had a ubiquitous musty smell. There were spider-webs near the bedside table and in fact, a spider decided to pay us a visit in one of our rooms when it fell onto our bed. The shower facilities including the toilet had poor pressure as well. The only good thing about the place is that it is located opposite a beautiful river and even then I would advise you to stay at The Swan Hotel which is just less than a 5 minute walk away from William Morris although a couple more bucks to fork out.

Room Tip: None of the rooms were good.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank omelettedufromage
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We were the only guests staying here over a busy late-Spring weekend. We were welcomed warmly and enjoyed the offered pot of tea and cake in the adjacent cafe. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable - and decorated in a style that William Morris would have approved of! The owners gave us good advice about local attractions, walks, restaurants, etc and we enjoyed exploring the village environs. We were delighted with the breakfast we were offered - a lovely change from the usual "full English" - especially as it featured a lovely fillet of local smoked trout. Having a rental car, we were a little disappointed that there was no off-street parking available but, thankfully, this proved not to be too much of an issue.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bibury
The Swan Hotel
#7 of 8 in Cirencester
The Bull Hotel
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 1 in Fairford

Been to The William Morris? Share your experiences!