“English Cottage Stay”
other travellers have booked this property
Welcome to the impressive, Grade II* listed, Middle Gable The Old Hall
A beautiful Cotswold stone property! The spacious and stunning living room
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Welcome to the impressive, Grade II* listed, Middle Gable The Old Hall
A beautiful Cotswold stone property!
The spacious and stunning living room
Stylish furnishings, underfloor heating and a roaring log burner
The house is a lovely home from home
The large kitchen and dining room
Large, hand painted dining table and chairs
Beautifully presented
A lovely, sociable room
The house is full of character features
The lovely, old stairwell, in the heart of the house
A beautiful stained glass window, in the stairwell
The luxurious master bedroom
Traditional character features and modern facilities
The grand, four poster bed
Relax in style!
Looking out to the landing
Antique furniture
The family bathroom, which contains a bath with a handheld shower attachment, toilet and wash basin
Another room full of character
Bedroom 2, with two single beds
Beautiful style and character
Bedroom 2 also has a day bed
A lovely bedroom
More character features
The house has a lovely garden at the front
Middle Gable The Old Hall is one of a row of traditional cottages
The garden in full bloom
Middle Gable The Old Hall, an exceptional character property
The garden is beautiful all year round
A lovely place to relax and unwind
The square holes are 'dovecotes', where doves would once have lived
Bourton-on-the-Water is a beautiful Cotswold village
Take a stroll by the River Windrush
Known as the 'Venice of the Cotswolds'!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

31Gypsy
Brisbane, Australia
“English Cottage Stay”
Reviewed 16 December 2014 for a stay in December 2014

Beautiful English cottage experience in a picture perfect town. The cottage exceeded our expectations and was presented beautifully. Our host was very helpful and friendly.

Travelling group: Teenagers
Friends getaway Families with young children
JohnMcG68...
Camberley, United Kingdom
“A very enjoyable experience”
Reviewed 3 December 2014 for a stay in November 2014

We are glad we did not read the somewhat negative 14th October comment before opting to rent this property. Our expectations were fully met and we found that the quirkiness of the house and the historical feel of it all added to our enjoyment. the accommodation successfully combined the feeling of something old with modern facilities and it had a warm feel to it at what was a cold time of the year. We also felt that Kate, the owner went out of her way to ensure that everything was to our satisfaction. She even took the trouble to phone us on the evening of our arrival to check that we were happy with everything.
It was perfectly situated for the town, alternative shops and good pubs and restaurants and we would not hesitate to recommend Middle Gable for those who enjoy something a bit different.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: It was so different from other holiday homes we had stayed in.
Liked least: We have nothing bad to say about it.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Alwaystra...
Washington DC
“Nice place but disappointing service!”
Reviewed 28 November 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

While the property is full of character and well kept, service was lacking. Having stayed at quite a few properties in the UK in this price range, we were surprised by the lack of a welcome basket and basic household supplies, e.g. dishwasher tablets, paper towels, spare toilet paper, and face cloths. Also, fresh tea and coffee would have been very welcome (there is no way we'd have used the oddments supplied). I mentioned the lack of dishwasher tablets in an email to the owners and they replied that they only supply basic cleaning items (?), and any (dishwasher tablets) there have been left by the previous guests. They added that there is usually tea, coffee, and sugar but as guests do not always replace what they use, there may be a shortfall for incoming guests. They explained that unlike their other properties they are not at Middle Gable every week to service it and that it is not part of the house keeping team's duties (too bad it can't be added). Expecting guests to purchase these supplies for a property in this price category seems very frugal. If supplies are based on what others leave behind then this should be stated in the Pre-Arrival information document.

I can understand that the owners may not be aware that the mattresses need to be replaced. There is a large dip in the mattress of the first bedroom, and the beds in second bedroom have thin foam mattresses thus making sleep difficult.

As a safety precaution the outside light should come on automatically at dusk; trying to see the two low steps that are on the pathway leading to the front door at night is very difficult.

Bourton-on-the-Water is well worth a visit, it has many lovely shops and restaurants, and the motor museum is wonderful.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house and the neighbours! Without them we may never have got the key out of the lock box and also because they turned on the outside light we were saved from falling on the steps on the pathway and could actually see the keyhole!
Liked least: The feeling that the owners didn't care about us.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway
Management Response
2 Dec 2014
Character Cottages, as a marketing agency, does not look after or maintain any cottages.

The following is written by the property owner:

"Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay as noted in the email that you sent me, when you also informed me that the dishwasher tablets box was empty. I will deal with your comments point by point if I may.
We do not supply a welcome pack as different people have different dietary needs and allergies and would not want to be responsible for causing any sort of allergic reaction. There is usually a small supply of tea, coffee and sugar and a canister of salt. I am sorry if you feel there was not enough for you on your arrival, although this is a self-catering property and the nearest shop is a four minute walk away, we do still try to ensure that these items are there. There are basic cleaning supplies at the property as stated in the pre-arrival information. There are always two toilet rolls in both bathrooms as well as hand wash at all sinks including in the one in the kitchen, however we do not supply facecloths, as I feel these are quite intimate items and not something that is usually expected by guests nor something that I myself would want, preferring to bring my own.
I did ask the housekeeper to check the cupboard under the sink after your e-mail and there was a box of dishwasher tablets at the back as well as three bottles of washing up liquid, some bleach, floor cleaner, kitchen cleaner, bathroom cleaner, granite worktop cleaner, hob bright, oven cleaner and a packet of j-cloths, so I am at a bit of a loss with reference to your comments on cleaning supplies.
We stay at this property a lot ourselves, the most recent time being last weekend. The mattress is just over a year old and cost £500 last May. it has a memory foam centre which is designed to mould to the shape of your body giving a very comfortable sleeping experience. There is absolutely no dip in that mattress whatsoever. I will check on the upstairs mattresses, which are in fact standard sprung mattresses rather than foam, but we have had no complaints from any of our guests saying they are unable to sleep because they are not comfortable at any time in the last four years.
The switch for the outside lights to illuminate the front door is in the porch. Most guests arrive in daylight hours but if you had informed me that you were arriving so late I would have asked our very kind neighbour to put the light on for you . We are in the process of having a light by the front door with the PIR sensor on but as it is a grade 2 star listed property we have to get permission to do so. The instructions on how to access the key safe are given when I speak to guests pre-arrival. There is a tall lamp that shines by the key box and also a PIR controlled light that lights up the path and the key box, so guests can see it if they arrive after dark. There is limited street lighting so it is always advisable to have a torch in the country.
Lastly, I would just like to say that as I had been in contact with you prior to your arrival with restaurant suggestions for your Daughter’s Birthday celebrations, I find the comment about the owners not caring to be very unfair."
VickiG41
Tampa, Florida
“Lovely Cottage & Fabulous Location”
Reviewed 25 October 2014 for a stay in October 2014

We have just returned from our vacation in beautiful England. The highlight of our trip was our stay at Middle Gable and Bourton on the Water. The cottage is everything you could wish for and more. It was nicely decorated and had all the modern amenities while retaining it's historical charm. The gardens were gorgeous and the location was ideal! Every morning we would take a short stroll to a wonderful bakery to pick up a scone or breakfast bap to bring back to the cottage before we started our day exploring the many villages close by. Bourton on the Water was by far the prettiest village of them all and we were so glad we chose Middle Gable allowing us to have this lovely place right at our doorstep! Don't hesitate to book this place.The owners Chris and Kate were helpful and responsive from beginning to the end.

Liked best: The Location
Liked least: Nothing
Travelling group: Other
Friends getaway Families with young children
13marilyn
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
“Beautiful Cotswold Cottage”
Reviewed 14 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Middle Gable is a charming cottage in the very heart of beautiful Bourton-on-the-Water. The cottage is located within two blocks of the village, making it extremely convenient to all the services and stores the village has to offer. My husband and I spent 2 1/2 weeks at Middle Gable. It was the perfect spot for us, since we went to this area to hike the many public pathways within and around Bourton. Asw ell, we were close to many of the National Trust sites that we had on our list to see.

The interior of the cottage is lovely, well appointed and professionally decorated. However, the décor does not diminish at all the details of this 350 year old house. All the modern conveniences were available, including Wi Fi, two flat screen TV's, a washer/dryer, a microwave, etc.

The time we spent at Middle Gable went too fast. We were extremely fortunate to be in the cottage while the splendid English garden was in full bloom outside our door. It is a place we would return to in the future.

travelluv...
Delray Beach, Florida
“Romantic Stay & Ideal Cotswolds Village ~ Bourton on the Water”
Reviewed 15 September 2014 for a stay in September 2014

My husband and I just stayed at Middle Gable in September 2014. After driving my husband crazy to take me on vacation to the Cotswolds, my dream finally came true. I'd been researching the best villages to stay for over 3 years (on and off). After I researched hotels, cottages and farm stays, I made my decision to stay at Middle Gable in the lovely and bucolic village of Bourton on the Water. There are many reasons why we enjoyed our stay and would return to Middle Gable and Bourton. Here's a few: Middle Gable was well appointed, comfortable and decorated in a manner that helped create that story book vision in my mind about a trip to England. I loved the Pictures of Queen Mary, the antiques and the master bed that was made for a King. I loved the old architecture, the wooden doors and slanted floors. I loved the old world charm and craftsmanship that has lasted overtime. I loved the old windows that opened up to the garden to hear the morning birds singing their daily songs and the feel of fresh, cool morning countryside air. The magnificent garden and friendly neighbors made us feel at home, if only for a few days. Middle Gable had everything we needed. We woke up slow, made coffee and enjoyed breakfast while we thought of our plans for the day. We could even take a 2 minute walk to the local bakery that had divine baked goods, bread and coffee. The convenient location of Middle Gable was ideal. There was a footpath behind the cottage that strolled along the water.... so pretty.........and it's only a 2 minute walk to the High Street and to the Grocery Store and Restaurants. Bourton on the Water can be over-run with tourist during the day.... but in the evening and night, you get the village to yourself in all it's splendor and quaintness. It was so romantic just taking a glass of wine and walking hand in hand at nighttime along the water. The walk back to the cottage was a quick stroll next to other cottages, a friendly pub and the bakery. It made me feel like I was whisked away, back in time, to another land.... yet a land that felt much like HOME to ME. That's the best way to describe it. At night, we'd return to the cottage, light a fire and talk about the best memories from our day hiking amongst the countryside between the villages. We loved the fact that the most loveliest villages were in a close proximity.... Our FAVORITE VILLAGES WERE: Bourton on the Water, Bibury, Lower and Upper Slaughter and Stow on the Wold. Northleach was great, too........with a great place to dine at Wheatsheaf Hotel. We also enjoyed High Tea at Lords of Manor Hotel. We hiked there....and although we were in our hiking attire, the Hotel Staff were very welcoming and friendly to us. One day, I'll return to the Cotswolds.... and I'd certainly return to Middle Gable! It was everything I dreamed of! PS: The booking for Middle Gable was very easy. Our deposit was promptly returned... and the owners were very accommodating and friendly. You can tell how much they enjoy their guest enjoying their home. They are so blessed to own Middle Gable. What a treasure! PSS: For those of you who love the show "Downton Abbey"... the filming location of Highclere Castle is an hours drive from Bourton on the Water. It's worth the drive!!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location, architecture, finishings, history, decor, village
Liked least: I loved it ALL!!!
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
rosepetal...
southampton
“character cottage in great location”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Middle Gable is a well presented cottage with a beautiful garden and it's very near the centre of Bourton though in a quiet location. The house has been tastefully furnished and the lounge is very comfortable though it took us a while to work out how the tv worked as you need to use both the Bush and Panasonic controls.
We never found out how to switch on the tv in the bedroom. The house was clean apart from the oven which had not been cleaned for some time. The owner is helpful and gave us some useful information beforehand.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the house, the location, the garden
Liked least: the dirty oven and the restricted height of the upstairs bedroom
Older travelers Families with young children
Management Response
27 Aug 2014
The following response was posted by the property owners:
"Thank you for your comments, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Middle Gable. We are sorry you found the oven lacking, we have spoken to the housekeeping team who will check it.
The television in the bedroom has to be switched on to work, the switch is situated at the bottom of the television. In general the height in the top bedroom is unrestricted but you may have to duck under the beam if you are over 6ft in height, the door into the bedroom is low but guests are advised of that when they call me for key details, my husband is 6' 2" and does not find it a problem, but this property is almost 400 years old and some variation in roof height is part of its innate character. If you had called me during your stay I would have been able to rectify the oven and television issue for you!”
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing