“Very nice traditional pub”
Review of Duke of Wellington

Duke of Wellington
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: 100 yds from corner of Sherbourne Street and High St
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We visited here on Saturday 14th June as a party of 8, 6 adults and 2 children. The pub itself was quiet when we arrived at 6.30pm with a few people in.
We originally sat on a large table next to the toliets but my 2 of the family members decided this table was a little dark and cramped and ask to move to another table which was brighter and airier.
They were fine with that just asking us to make sure we had left by 8pm as that table was reserved. I thought this was good as some other places would simply refuse and say no its reserved.
We all ordered quickly at the bar including the drinks which were served to the table quickly.
The meals (just mains) were a selection of meat/fish dishes 2 vegetarian and 2 children meals.
My little family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 children) came to £33 and that was for 4 meals and a Bulmer's cider and pint of Fosters.
My husband and I both had the blue cheese and bacon burger. It came with chips and salad. I initially thought there wasn't a lot but the beef burger was very thick and juicy so the few chips given were plenty. The blue cheese and bacon were a very nice addition. My daughters had pork sausages and chicken strips served with the standard chips and beans!
It was also nice to see for the vegetarians in the family different meals other than just pasta!!
The toilet's were a little grubby and the table a little sticky but the sign in the toilets explained they were renovating them so fair enough.
We would visit here again but maybe not for a while as we live 2 hours away.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Went there after being told on a Sunday afternoon that the pub over the road didn't serve outside after 5pm and they didn't have any fish.
The Duke looked a lot cleaner than the other pub's bar that they wanted us to eat in. We sat in the bar but there is a restaurant area if you wished or tables outside (it had begun to rain by then). No problem getting table as the pub isn't on the main drag and so isn't over-run with tourists. Bar staff were friendly and helpful. I had veg tagine, which was very tasty, and rice, which wasn't over cooked (thank goodness, I hate soggy rice). Hubby had fish & chips and peas. The batter on the fisk was really crispy and he really enjoyed it. Only small gripe was the the chips were frozen, not handcut.
All in all, good pub-grub and we would happily eat there again.

1  Thank Joy G
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This pub was recommended to us but was not great which was a shame. We arrived about half three to an empty bar and the server was less than friendly. I enquired about a cream tea, which again we had been told that this pub did. All we got was a 'No'. So we decided to just order desserts, though while we were choosing the server walked off and we had to wait while for her to come back. When the dessrts came, the apple and rhubarb crumble pie tasted nice although some of the apple was cold. The toffee bomb that my partner ordered was small, looked like it had be taken out of a packet in the freezer and was not very toffee like. Perhaps the main meals or sunday roast would be better and perhaps we would try these another time, but all in all disappointed.

1  Thank EONeil
Reviewed 30 May 2014

The food here was so good that we ate here both nights of our trip to Bourton. The staff were really friendly, great choice of food, quality was great. On the sunday they had a quiz which was good fun. We liked it that much that we are planning on booking to stay here on our next trip.

1  Thank kerryannej
Reviewed 30 May 2014

A little bit of the main road and it's suddenly easier to get a nice table and put the feet up. The food was delish - the steak & ale pie was scrumptious and the fish and chips made the Swedes go ooohs and aaaahs with delight. For the ones not driving the beers were enough to choose from and for me (the driver) there was plenty of non alcoholic drinks to choose from.

2  Thank sparsmakad