“Romantic break and a Lucky Find..”

Chester House Hotel
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Romantic break and a Lucky Find..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

My wife and i have just returned from the Chester House Hotel after a romantic "valentine break'.We had not pre -booked .We were so lucky to be walking around the picturesque village and stumbled upon the hotel.
Set in a great location near the stream ,shops & restaurants .
The room was larger than i expected,comfortable bed,warm,very clean bedding and lots of towels,tea coffee,& our very own "Chester Duck ". We were able to park our car in the free hotel car park .
Breakfast was excellent ,thick local bacon and eggs,lots of fresh coffee and the service through out the hotel was first class !,nothing was too much trouble.After breakfast we took our fresh coffee through to the lounge/bar to read the papers , use the free Wi-Fi and just relax on the large sofas in the cotswold decor styled lounge/bar. Plenty of board games to play,and very family friendly.
We never had a evening meal at the restaurant as we had eaten prior to arrival,however it was pretty full,which is always a good sign.

Overall i would return ,we would have loved to have stayed longer to explore the surrounding area .
I would recommend a stay here & will return complete with our Yellow Duck ....

Room Tip: All rooms are good- we stayed in the coaching house,if possible ask to stay in main building.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alfieboy79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I have a KGB voucher for a stay at Chester House Hotel, valid until 4/3/13.
After telephoning and leaving messages to make a booking I finally got someone to answer the phone!
When I said that I had a KGB voucher I was interrupted by the woman at the end of the phone," We run out of our allocation!"
I pointed out that my voucher was valid until 4/3/13 and was told, We have run out of our allocation!" It could have been a bad echo I suppose!
I asked, " Can I have a refund?"
"You'll have to get in touch with KGB". No apology, no can we upgrade you, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.
If this is how they treat people before they arrive I'm glad I'm not going to stay there!

I'm so glad they can afford to turn custom away!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Paul M
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

I cannot fault this hotel. It was just lovely on so many fronts. My husband and I stayed for two nights recently and from the warm friendly welcome to the tasteful quality decor and larger than usual rooms, the quality linen and comfortable bed it was just a truly memorable experience. The breakfast was really delicious with local produce and the restaurant also really good. There is also a very good chinese restaurant next door which was exceptionally good.
The location was perfect right in the middle of the picturesque little town. I would go out of my way to stay here again and would thoroughly recommend it.

2 Thank AmandaOZ09
lichfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Couldnt have asked for more! Room were beautiful, food even better. would recommend it
to anybody. hope to come back again soon. only the weather let it down but nothing v=can do about that! much better then going to Rhyll! Richard from Chambers

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in Nov 2012. Picked this hotel following the reviews from Tripadvisor as they have never failed me before!
I would agree with the reviews this is a lovely hotel. Its set in a nice location, didnt find parking any trouble & overall was pleased.
The staff were friendly & I felt they couldnt do enough for you.
We selected a 'Better' room out of the 3 choices. It was a spacious room & was actually a family room with a double bed & 2 single beds.
The bathroom was okay but could be updated but the shower worked & there was constant hot water.

We ate in The Croft both nights of our stay as the food was really nice so I would definately recommend eating there.

Only thing I would point out is we 'paid' directly through the website & asssumed it was all paid for. On checking out of the room we were told that the details were used for holding only & in fact we had to do chip & pin again. Just think it should be made clearer on the website that full payment was actually done on checkout of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

My husband and I stayed for a 2 night weekend break at the Chester House Hotel in NOvember 2012 (sorry for the late post).

On arrival to the beautiful village of Bourton on the Water, we were pleased with the choice that we had made. The hotel was cosy and clean with a lovely breakfast. The hotel is central to the village and the other surrounding cotswold villages. We ate one night at the hotels restaurant 'The Croft' which is just accross the road from the hotel. I can honestly say that we had the best steak meal and the price was very reasonable.

We loved it so much we are returning again for a weekend in Feb 2013. I would say that this is one of the if not the best hotel in the village,

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

We spent a night here and wished we were staying for 2. It was really just right for a pre Christmas break. Beautiful room great food and very friendly staff, pity about the beeping smoke alarm but it wouldn't put us off going back. Would recommend if you want a relaxing few days

Room Tip: Room 15 is superb
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Water
Dial House Hotel
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter

Been to Chester House Hotel? Share your experiences!