“A welcome stay in romantic room in lovely location.”

Chester House Hotel
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My wife and i stayed for one night to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday on arrival we were shown to a romantic 4 post bedroom with flowers which were kindly arranged, the room had a lovely view of the stunning village decorated with Xmas tree and lights. The bedroom was warm and clean with ensuite with power shower which if I am critical was a little difficult to adjust temp sorted eventually. The staff were friendly, we had an evening meal at the croft restaurant boulders throw over road and we had the fillet steak which just melted in our mouths and the thick cut chips were to die for, the service was excellent and made the night very enjoyable we didn't want it to end. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was equally as nice in lovely conservatory room. On checking out we were kindly allowed to leave car in car park so we could wonder around and do some last minute Xmas shopping in stunning village. Overall we had a wonderful stay which we will always remember.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank lanes5
There are newer reviews for Chester House Hotel

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Me and wife stayed 3 nights at this wonderful hotel in October. A really comfortable stay.
The location is the most terrific feature. Right in the center of the town. With the main market just 1 minute away. Restaurants around you, Italian, British, Chinese. Great rooms and an excellent service. Each and every staff member of the hotel was very nice and helpful. They have a beautiful cozy lounge area with games and books.You really wouldn't want to get up from there. The town is just in the center of all the other places. Perfect place to set up base and see Cotswold. We had hired a car and it was very convenient. They have a designated parking spot also.
Loved it!!

2  Thank namitbhalla
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Our family group spent two nights here in November. We, with our two children had the family room and my husbands parents had a double room.

The hotel is really lovely and in a fantastic location off the main road but only moments from everything in the town. The town is gorgeous and full of great little shops, tearooms and restaurants.

The family room was up a flight of stairs from the reception and the room itself was really big so plenty of space for us all to hang out. The bathroom had a bath with shower over. The room was decorated nicely and was clean but the bathroom was quite basic and dated (though still perfectly clean and acceptable). Not the best place if you need to take a buggy in and out of the room but we are beyond buggy stage with our kids so fine for us. We were very happy with the room and there were plentiful supplies of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits which delighted the kids.

My In-Laws room was on the ground floor and was very nicely decorated with a nice modern shower room. They were happy with it and we all agreed that the rooms were very comfortable.

We enjoyed large delicious breakfasts with friendly staff serving. We ate in both the restaurants which were great. We particularly enjoyed our meal in 'The Croft' across the road. I was a bit worried about taking the kids there on a Friday evening (they are aged 6 and 4) but nobody batted an eyelid and a kids menu was happily produced for them by very friendly staff. The restaurant inside the hotel was good too with a relaxed atmosphere and enjoyable food.

If I had to find fault I would mention that the noise from the bar/restaurant under the family room was a bit annoying until about 10.30/11pm and one of the reception staff ladies seemed a bit preoccupied/not particularly helpful or friendly! (perhaps it just seemed that way because all the other staff were SO nice).

I would, and have already recommended this place to friends and would like to return myself sometime.

Room Tip: The family room by reception is great but access is up stairs which are not suitable for a baby'...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BellaAmos
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed at Chester House for just one night in October and thought it was wonderful - the position of the Hotel within the centre of Bourton couldn't be more convenient. Our room was lovely, clean and well decorated. We ate at the hotel's own Italian Restaurant and our meal was delicious. Would I return - you bet ya - like a shot - In fact I wouldn't stay anywhere else in the Cotswolds - small, friendly, classy without being pompous .... Loved it ! x

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My first time in the Cotswolds and I wasn't dissapointed at the Chester House Hotel. Situated about one minute from the main town. Friendly staff, clean, warm room. Our room was in the annex, but that suited us fine. The facilities in the main building were very well decorated, comfy and cosy. If we'd been staying any longer we'd probably have taken advantage of the sofas and just chilled in one of the lounges.
They have a nice touch with the yellow ducks - visit to find out!
We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 25 is in the annex, so although you have to use the outside steps, you don't have many neig...
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Well this was our second stay at this hotel. The first time was in one of the cheapest rooms in the annex accessed by the car park. It was lovely so we booked a return stay, late September 2013.

Our second stay was a 'better' room - the mid priced rooms in the expectation of a little luxury. Unfortunately we were sorely disappointed. It was a room in the main house, I think it was room 12. The room almost seemed to have a dual personality - on the one side, there was a lovely luxurious suede effect headboard which reached right up the wall, on the other side (the side you spend the whole night looking at) was a bare magnolia wall and I am not joking when I say I have been in more inspiring student accommodation.

The room was very large, warm and the large bed was comfortable. There was a noticeably scratched wardrobe and bedside table, paint coming off walls and radiators, there was a sofa with large stains to the arms and side. There was no bathtub (also very disappointing) but the bathroom was clean, unfortunately the decor reminded me of a cell block but that it just my personal taste and working in law enforcement!

The view out of the window was into the car park and bin area of the pub opposite although if you moved to the side, you could see a prettier view. The wifi still didnt work inside the house (it didnt work outside in the other annex room either).

The restaurant served beautiful food although the waiter served us a slightly incorrect order. The communal parts of the hotel were lovely. The breakfast was ok, again an incorrect order served to both our table and the neighbouring table.

Unfortunately this was not a patch on the time we stayed before and I would hesitate to book the Chester House Hotel again. We go for a night away in Bourton every year and I would consider other options next time. I definitely would not go to the expense of a mid rate room as it was far less enjoyable than the basic room. The feedback was given to the hotel twice but not acknowledged.

I do not think that I was expecting too much for over £100 per night in wanting a room that was a little inspiring and had attention to detail in respect of a good decorative maintenance upkeep.

If you do go, definitely book the restaurant at the time of booking your room as the restaurant does serve quality food at reasonable prices but it gets extremely busy and we saw several people turned away due to being at full capacity.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Don't think about it just book! Fantastic location, great service in hotel and restaurant, nothing too much trouble. Rooms great too and all for a very reasonable price. I'll return and have already sent friends to stay who loved it too. Beautiful town too.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Water
Dial House Hotel
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Lords of the Manor Hotel
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in The Slaughters
Broadlands Guest House
Broadlands Guest House
#3 of 27 in Bourton-on-the-Water

Been to Chester House Hotel? Share your experiences!