Chester House Hotel
US$244
US$271
US$263
Hotels.com
The Slaughters Manor House(Lower Slaughter)
US$766
US$167
The Unicorn Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
US$273
US$264
Travelocity
Sheep on Sheep Street(Stow-on-the-Wold)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$175
Agoda.com
Stow Lodge Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
US$208
Lords of the Manor Hotel(The Slaughters)
  • Breakfast included
Stag Lodge(Stow-on-the-Wold)
No availability for your dates from our partners
The Old Stocks Inn(Stow-on-the-Wold)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscroft restaurantitalian restaurantrubber ducklovely hotelcar parklady on receptionthe riversmall hotelfamily roomthe main hotelperfect locationcooked breakfastroom was spaciousground floorbeautiful villagecoach houseevening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here for the weekend and I was so pleased I had picked Bourton on the Water as a base - it's a beautiful place. We arrived too early to check in, more so in order to have a better chance of a parking space. There were plenty of spaces at that time indeed there were the whole stay but I assume that was because of the time of year and the fact that one of our nights was a Sunday. The lady on reception at that time was very helpful and gave us a permit for our car, I think she may have been polish. When we returned at 2pm to check in, we were told our room would be 10 minutes but given the key. This was by a blonde lady (in her 30's I think). She was polite enough but when she advised us 10 minutes later that the room was ready she didn't bother to tell us where our room was or any details regarding breakfast in the morning. Luckily we had already sussed out where room 25 was!! We both thought her manner was very abrupt and that she was more interested in setting up a baby alarm than paying any attention to paying guests. The room and it's bathroom were pleasant enough but the shower seemed to be an old one and was just a trickle on all the shower head settings. For £100 a night it would be nice to have a decent shower.
Breakfast was good and the staff were very pleasant. Yes the cooked breakfast was a smaller portion but this suited us as we are light eaters. I fail to see how it wasn't sufficient for a larger appetite as there was also toast and cereals on offer - plenty to fill you up.
We had a couple of drinks in the bar on both nights and on our last night would have liked to eat but were told at 9.15 that the oven had been switched off and not even a sandwich could be provided. I wouldn't hold this against them because at the end of the day we should have booked a table but I think this hotel could be really good if the staff went just that extra mile to accommodate people.
All in all it was a nice place, clean and adequate but not special. A great base for the Cotswolds though. I would return if it was a discount deal but only if the showers were sorted out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
dhmanagement, Owner at Chester House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Our team here take great pride in going the extra mile for all our guests, it has been one of our defining features for many years.

I am sorry that you were left to find your room, at the time, the receptionist was trying to sort a baby monitor that was not functioning properly for some other guests, as the baby was asleep and they were in the bar, in hindsight, she should have dealt with the monitor before showing you to your room, multi-tasking obviously not at it's best!

The shower problem in your room has been addressed and is now running properly.

And, yes, sadly our restaurants do close at 9pm in the evenings, so we do always recommend that guests book and this is mentioned on all email correspondence and also on check in.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My partner and I stayed here for our joint birthday weekend after having lunch here last summer. I booked on line and there was a box for any comments or requests so I said that it was a birthday celebration. During our 2 night stay, there was no mention of our birthdays not even a complimentary glass of fizz! Advice to Donna the owner - Don't ask for requests/comments if you aren't going to act on it!
Our room was the mid range but we were put into the 4 poster room for the first night and then swapped to our 'proper' room for the 2nd night. There was absolutely no difference in the rooms except for the bed being a 4 poster so unless you want that feature - save your money! There is a hairdryer in the room and tea and coffee making facilities but no minibar, safe or dressing gowns. The towels were a little threadbare but the beds were comfortable.
The breakfast was lovely but as others have commented - very small! We ate in the Italian restaurant on the Saturday evening which was totally spoilt by the children (we presumed they belonged to the hotel) in the lounge area next door playing football! The food was ok but nothing special.
Now onto why we will not be returning to this hotel. The owner is a rude ignorant and at times inappropriate lady. She didn't once acknowledge us as guests or elude to the fact that it was a celebratory weekend. She stomped about the hotel at speed looking busy but not in a pleasant way. Her face had a constant scowl and she was very intimidating. She served our main meals on the Saturday evening and made a very inappropriate and worrying comment about the way the knife she was holding was pointing at my partner as though she could stab him! There was no humour or fun in the comment and she knocked both of our chairs as she stormed past.
The staff are all fabulous and especially Simon and Verity and I can't imagine she is an easy woman to work for, so hats off to them for sticking it out!
All in all an average hotel which is expensive compared to others with nothing special to offer. I would look elsewhere before booking.

Room Tip: We had room 21 which looked out onto the garden which is fine unless the kids are kicking a football at the window!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the Chester House on Valentines evening and were immediately taken in by the ambient yet bustling atmosphere. The staff were second to none, incredibly welcoming. The food - authentic yet reasonable. And the magician - spooky

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BenBurchAndCO
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Impressed upon arrival, great to have secure parking. Lovely decor and warm homely feel. It was busy in the restaurant as it was a Saturday afternoon, however the young man behind the bar was very helpful and told us to check back in at 2pm and gave us a parking permit.
I would not bother paying for the best or better rooms unless you can be guaranteed the four poster bed- room 14. I was disappointed with the room a little, I expected a bit more glamour for the money. The room was a bit worn could do with a bit more attention to detail and maybe an update. The room was spacious as was the bathroom but the taps were plumbed in the wrong way round!! This could be a health and safety issue with young children!!
The breakfast was cooked beautifully, could have been a bit bigger!!
Lots of families here but no noise at night.
On departure we were not asked about our stay or if we enjoyed it.
When booking the room I did put on the form that it was a birthday treat, however this was overlooked. Comparing this to many other similar hotels overall I would say it was comfortable and welcoming but felt the staff and owners could have given a little more attention to detail and the room could have had a more luxury feel!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aimee S
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and had the most wonderful time.

The hotel: it’s beautiful, very quaint & cozy dining area with a huge fireplace close to the bar. They had games & books incase you wish to spend some time just relaxing on the huge leather couches in the bar. The overall décor was extremely cozy & very genuinely ‘countryside-ish’. The room was not the biggest but very comfortable with all amenities. Good closet space, great heating, good size bathroom, big clean bed & linen, tea/coffee machine in the room, excellent breakfast, etc. The staff was very helpful, to plan our day trips in and around Cotswold. Hotel was located very close to the town center and the beautiful stream of Bourton-on-the-water. And the cherry on the cake, is the little yellow rubber duck that you can take home as a souvenir.

Downsides: although there was a designated parking area, there weren't enough parking spots. I recon not even 1 per room and I imagine everyone who come to Cotswold would drive, which meant if you arrive late you may have to park on the street. Our room was up a flight of stairs and no one to help us carry our bags up. However, none of these would change my view of this fabulous hotel.

Overall, excellent value for money, great location, beautiful setting and fabulous countryside experience. I also highly recommend their restaurant ‘The Croft’.

Bourton-on-the-water: it was the most beautiful of all the towns in Cotswold (atleast from the ones we visited). It has the most unique setting with a stream running through the town center and beautiful bridges going across it. One can spend a whole day by the water sipping coffee and just watching the world go by. All of the towns in Cotswold have a few quaint little shops that sell local sweets, jams & other delicacies and so does Bourton-OTW. If you have a car, then going around is no problem since the next town will be only 10 minutes away of you use the highway. It took us 1.5-2 hours to drive from Heathrow airport (London) and the directions/roads were quiet easy to follow (if you have a GPS and look for road signs).

We have many beautiful memories of the fabulous holiday.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple