“Ruby Honeymoon”
Review of Dial House Hotel

Dial House Hotel
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were two couples both celebrating our Ruby Wedding Anniversary and retracing our Honeymoon in the Cotswolds.
The Dial House was a perfect place to stay two nights with professional staff and excellent food. Ideally placed in the heart of the village yet away from the tourists. We spent a whole day in the village and still did not see everything. The glorious weather helped but the places are amazing, such as Birdland, Motor Museum, Model Railway and the pubs including the Mousetrap.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
There are newer reviews for Dial House Hotel

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We hadn't been to Boughton on the Water for years so yesterday decided to visit and take afternoon tea at the Dial Post for my wife's birthday. On visiting it clearly was busy in the village but not at the tea room/restaurant so we took a seat on one of the three empty tables out front. We waited but no one came out so I thought I must have to find service indoors. On entering I met a waitress and she explained that she could take my drink order inside but my food order outside. I did indeed start this but a guy came in and was very abrupt and practically ordered me outside and told off the waitress in front of me. I sat back at my table and asked for two full afternoon teas which I was told I had to pre book which was a surprise but in small print on the menu it did state that so I ordered finger sandwiches each and scones. The service was average in time and when the food turned up was nothing special but stupidly was served on rectangular slate which in the heat got very hot very quickly. The sandwiches were nice enough but used cheap bread and had no meat, just egg salmon and cheese and chutney. The scones for £8 were absolutely tiny but tasted ok, again nothing special. As we were about to finish another couple sat down and to our amazement were able to order a full afternoon tea and were told they would have to wait 20 mins. I was now fuming as why could they have it and not us. We would have waited 20 mins without quarrel, probably ordering more drinks to their benefit. On getting the bill they also tried to overcharge us. All in all I was very disappointed and would not recommend this place over others in the village of which there are many even with it looking so beautiful. It's just not worth the money you pay nor the rubbish service you get and I certainly do t like staff getting told off in front of me.

1  Thank Adam F
DialHouseHotel, Manager at Dial House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Mr Adam F,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback, please let me apologies about your experience at the Dial House Restaurant, I am pleased that you enjoyed our pretty garden at the front of the hotel but we also have 3 times as much seating area at the back beautiful walled garden.
Please allow me to explain that we do not lie to our guests and our afternoon tea is clearly highlighted on our menus as pre-booked only and that the guest who sat next to you to have their afternoon tea they were pre-booked but they arrived a little earlier and we told them that it will be awaiting time of 20 minutes as our kitchen was extremely busy as you may have seen plus we cook everything fresh
I would also like to highlight that we do not deliver rubbish service and the reviews below reflects that nor we shout at our staff in front of our guests or behind the scenes, our new waitress was confused so we just told you that we provide a table service at the Dial House and please take a seat and we will serve you and immediately your order was taken at your table and you were served promptly
I will address your food related comments about our sandwiches and scones with our Head Chef but we served at least 60 cream teas and sandwiches on that sunny afternoon and we never had a single negative feedback, also our sandwiches state exactly what they are on the menu and we have the flexibility to provide meat on request.
When I did the quality check on your food I am disappointed that you did not highlight your frustration with the afternoon tea service to me thinking we favour some guests over you which is never the case, we as a team at the Dial House strive to provide the most friendly and attentive service
Please don't hesitate to contact me directly
Best regards
AE

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We visited the Dial House for a special birthday..on arrival we were greeted by Ali who helped with our luggage.. and said the rooms were all ready..this was at 12.30..the receptionist was very helpful showing us the hotel and then to our room which was in the coach house no 10..it was beautiful..with a huge bed.. Jacuzzi bath and separate fab shower..tea coffee etc..fluffy towels ..we slept well...the hotel is situated in the centre of the village .which was very busy..it has.fabulous gardens..a new hot tub..plenty of garden seating..we ate in the restaurant in the evening ..the food was excellent..service amazing..the whole ambience was suberb..breakfast again was great plenty of fresh fruit cereals and a choice from the menu..the full English was delicious....The whole stay was excellent..Staff memorable for the service..and we would 100% recommend the Dial House for a special treat..

Room Tip: All the rooms look fabulous..some of the rooms in the actual house are small but beautiful..
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Looking at the the hotel website, the rooms looked great and full of english character, however we were very disappointed with our rooms on arrival as they really didnt have any character at all. We stayed in the coach house - two rooms- both were decorated in a japanese theme, which although nice,seemed rather out of place in this quintessential english village. Best to choose rooms in the main hotel if you are looking for more english character. Rooms were reasonably well equipted,comfortable and clean.Very central and public areas were nice.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at the Dial House. We found the staff to be welcoming and friendly the hotel is situated in the heart of Bourton on the water a beautiful character building with lots of period features and lovely relaxing gardens we had a four poster bedroom with a modern bathroom.

1  Thank Jackie S
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have just returned from a night's stay at the dial house hotel.
the hotel is fantastic, best in Bourton on the Water. The location of the hotel is brilliant, right in the middle of Bourton. The hotel has beautiful grounds to the rear, where residents can relax on the deck chairs provided. They have also acquired a new hot tub, which was being used for the first time when we were there. the tub is located in a secluded area, with sun loungers etc, fab!
Ali, the manager was fantastic, he was the most helpful hotel manager we have met, nothing was too much trouble for him. We had a lovely breakfast with plenty of choice. We would recommend this hotel to anyone, you will not be disappointed. We wish we could have stayed longer. thanks ali and staff at dial house!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This mellow Cotswold stone historic building (1698) set idyllically in the heart of the model village Bourton on the Water, on the River Windrush in the Coldsworld was pure bliss. Picture perfect !
It is a small boutique hotel blending old with new with exceptional beauty and style. The bedroom decor was cosy and spacious with a 4 Poster bed, dark embosed wallpaper, and heavy velvet drapes --- reminiscent of another era. The bathroom was large, appeared to have recently been updated, and contained a large claw foot bath and modern fixtures and fittings. Well heated.
Thick fluffy white towels provided. Tea/ coffee making facility. So peaceful and quiet.
The stunning Dining Room was a perfect backdrop for the amazing French influenced food presented. It was a gastronomic experience with the food so beautifully executed. A truly memorable moment. The customer service and friendliness of the staff was most impressive.
This Country House Hotel was unique and surpassed all expectation.

Room Tip: Room 3 in the main house looked out over the front garden and to the street -- very quiet. There is...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Christine K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bourton-on-the-Water
Chester House Hotel
#4 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Broadlands Guest House
Broadlands Guest House
#4 of 27 in Bourton-on-the-Water

Been to Dial House Hotel? Share your experiences!