“Best afternoon tea ever!”

Mary's Rest Tearoom & Cafe
Price range: US$0 - US$9
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a small family-run business with the focus on serving fresh and tasty food. All our food is prepared to order. We offer quiches, homemade soups, fresh sandwiches, freshly baked baguettes, paninis, jacket potatoes. Our scones and many of our cakes are homemade. Please note that we are animal friendly and you may encounter dogs on the premises. We are closed on Monday's. We do not take debit/credit cards currently sorry.Over the next few months we will be adding more hot homemade dishes to our menu and we will also be changing the name of the tearoom to Mary's Rest all of which will be updated as and when the changes happen, please note the current website for The Danish tearoom is not up to date and some of the information is incorrect however the phone number is right so if you wish to check again details please call.
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Great service, great value, great food. We had the standard afternoon tea - £20 for two people, which included 2 drinks each, a sandwich each, crisps, 2 desserts and 2 scones with clotted cream and jam. We ended up having to get some of the food packed up to take home as we were stuffed after eating just over half! The owner was very friendly and made us laugh a couple of times. My girlfriend said "it wasn't that cosy" when we got home (even though at the time she said it was...women), but the food and the service made it more than worthwhile. Strongly recommend this place!!

1  Thank Jin M
Jannie T, Owner at Mary's Rest Tearoom & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank for this great review, I appreciate you taking the time out to write it, it's so good to hear that you enjoyed your time with us in our tearoom, hope to see you again soon

Ruth & Wayne

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I was given a voucher for Christmas which had a choice of venues for afternoon tea and was very happy that I chose this one! Just of the main road in Bourton on the Water, it's a very friendly place which offered us an excellent choice of sandwiches, followed by home made cake and scones (with plenty of jam and cream). We couldn't eat it all so they bagged up our cake for us to bring home. Very enjoyable.

I really appreciate you taking the time out to write this review and your nice comments, it's so nice to read these and it really is important to us to know people are enjoying our food & serve, hope to see you again.

Ruth

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was given an Afternoon Tea voucher as a gift. We visited on Sunday 2nd March which was a damp and windy day. We were warmly welcomed. I had spoken to Ruth (the owner) beforehand as i am gluten free so she was prepared for my dietary requirements. She had made a lovely gluten free lemon drizzle and some scones for me too, which were beautiful. The food really was gorgeous.

My only small criticism was that the cafe itself lacks a little ambiance. When we arrived (1.30pm) we were one of only two tables filled. However the longer we stayed, it did start to fill up which helped the atmosphere. The tearooms are a little off the main street in Bourton so I wonder if it doesn't get the same footfall as some of the ones on the main high street. Having said that I doubt the weather helped - there probably weren't many opportunist shoppers/wanders about that day. I do hope as the weather improves that the tea rooms gets the custom that it deserves as the staff couldn't have been more helpful and the food was great.

Thank you for taking the time out to right this review and for your lovely comments, I am so glad you enjoyed the food, especially the gluten free scones & cake.

With regards to your other comments, you really hit the nail on the head, when the weather is nice we have no problem filling the tearoom, but we have found in the winter months there is obviously less footfall and people don't tend to wonder off the beaten track and yes the weather on the day you visited wasn't good,it is hard to create the right atmosphere when it is quiet, however the last two Sundays we have been packed as the weather was lovely.

We do hope that with good reviews like yours & the other marketing we plan to do that it will help us out when the winter kicks in again, hopefully if you do visit us again it will be a nicer day and you will get to experience the tearoom at it's full potential

Ruth

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We have spent a lovely few day's in Bourton and stopped off for afternoon tea and cakes at this lovely little Tea Room. Great food and a lovely friendly couple who closed the café so that we could celebrate our friends 50th Birthday. They decorated the room with bunting and balloons and an extra special surprise a Birthday Cake and bubbly.. A great little gem found. It's a must try if you visit the Cotswolds. Will visit again if we are ever in the area. A big THANK YOU

Thank you for your lovely review and for taking the time out to write it, We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us, it was a pleasure to put the extra effort in to see you all having fun and celebrating your friends birthday, I hope to see you again if you are in the area again.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We booked here for my wife's birthday celebration, and took it on the recommendations from here. We could not have been more pleased. The hosts were faultless, we could not want for anything. Thank you so much for the present and card, such a personal touch. And for catering for our son and his allergies, perfect. It was like going to friends for a meal, nothing was too much to ask. Such a welcoming place to go. If you have never been, go. If you have been, keep going.

Jannie T, Owner at Mary's Rest Tearoom & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you so much for writing this great review, I really appreciate your lovely comments, I am so glad it all lived up to your expectations, especially as it was a birthday celebration, our aim really is to please our customers and it means a lot to me to know that you enjoyed your time & experience in our tearoom and the small personal touches.

Please call in again