“Friendly staff, fantastic food and a phenomenal view”

Windrush Garden Cafe & FIsh and Chip Takeaway
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly staff, fantastic food and a phenomenal view”
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Was visiting some old friends and decided to meet up at the Windrush for lunch. Having never been to Bourton before, I looked it up on Tripadvisor and was a bit unsure as there are some comments that are quite negative. Upon arriving into Bourton you cannot miss the Windrush. We sat outside in a very nice garden that also offered a beautiful view of the river. Two of my friends had fish and chips which was presented very nicely and two of us tried some cod and pancetta fishcakes. We had to laugh as the poor man delivering our food had lost his voice but still had the 'service with a smile' attitude. Not one of us had a single complaint with the quality (or quantity!) of our meal and all in all it was a great day. If you are out for a meal in Bourton, definitely give the Windrush a chance. This is the first time I have bothered to review anywhere and I think this cafe deserves it. Well done Windrush!

1 Thank Muzzabee

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Idyllic”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Located in such a picturesque location we were expecting a small portion for a large price. Completely the opposite, large portions and very nice food. 3 plates of fish and chips all fantastic. Recommend the bread, dont know where its from, forgot to ask the waiter. Very nice restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
cheltenham
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Today my daughter and I went to Windrush Garden Cafe. I ordered a tuna toastie and my daughter ordered fish and chips her meal was lovely however mine was abysmal and had to resort to eating some of her meal as I could not bear another long wait for disappointing food. When I went to complain about my uneaten meal to the manager I was met with nothing but ignorance and accusal of lying. The manager argued with me that the food was made to order (which it was not) and that no one had ever complained about his food before. I was eventually begrudgingly refunded and after speaking to another shop owner in the area I was made aware that I was not the first to complain. If I had just been treated politely by the manager id have rated it higher but I do not expect to be met with a rude demeanor and accused of lying when i make a complaint.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank bettyboop1968
Simon G, Owner at Windrush Garden Cafe & FIsh and Chip Takeaway, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Normally I don’t respond to reviews, preferring to let the reviews speak for themselves. In this instance you’ve clearly had such an unhappy experience I feel I owe it to you to respond. I’m glad to hear your daughter enjoyed our fish and chips but I’m terribly sorry that your meal was below standard and that you then subsequently felt you were not believed, as this was certainly never my intention. I was simply trying to establish what had gone wrong with your meal and how we could correct the situation. Likewise I can only apologise again if you were given the impression we never make mistakes. Although we try our very best to ensure every meal is perfect, occasionally we fail and our job is then to rectify it as quickly and smoothly as possible and to learn from this. As you state, you were offered a replacement plus a full refund as our way of saying sorry. I do hope you return to the Windrush Cafe and when you do please ask for myself. Once again, I can only apologise.

kind regards, SImon
London, United Kingdom
“What a lovely surprise”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I'm always rather sceptical of fish and chip restaurants and the quality can be so poor (greasy batter for example) but the fish was absolutely fantastic with light batter (almost a tempura).
I would really recommend this restaurant.

Visited March 2014
“Stunning”
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I have lived near bourton for about 13 years and tried the chippy here a few years ago. I thought it was good but nothing special. Recently simon has spent a lot of time, effort and (it at least appears to be) money to create a good sharp brand image for himself. The chips were really good but it was the fish which was really amazing. I have never enjoyed cod out before tonight. The tartar sauce was also stand out (was there horseradish in it? Amazing) im so glad that we have such a well presented and yummy chip shop back in bourton!! And so the price, initially it sounded a lot but I think we do lose sight of how much things cost now until we go to pay for them, so dont be put off!! I think the price is more than reasonable for such a yummy, well presented and generous meal.