“great location for town and racecourse”

Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Doncaster
“great location for town and racecourse”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Stayed here April 15th-19th and went to races on the Wednesday and Thursday.The hotel's location and facilities were just what we required.The staff were pleasant and courteous and the rooms although basic were bright and clean.The breakfast was more than adequate with hot option of egg beans and sausage or croissant,pastries,cereal,yogurt etc.Just a couple of improvements-no free wifi is a rarity and not good enough and also the last time we stayed here they had sky tv in the bar area but only freeview now? Overall good hotel in prime position and would stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: get a double room with sofa bed as well-larger room for same price
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Big thanks go to Chris & Chris and Sander on the bar. They really are a credit to HIE. Their help and excellent attitude helped to make our stay very enjoyable. The room was basic, as you would expect but very clean. Overall very happy we stayed here. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Newbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2013

When we visited Cheltenham we needed a good hotel, so we stayed at this holiday inn, the rooms were terrific and the views across Cheltenham were amazing, the staff were perfect and the food delicious!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
KimberleyHIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for the kind words expressed towards our establishment. We take great pride in our kindhearted staff and excellent location. It is with comments like these that remind us how we won IHG Hotel of the Year 2012!

Should you wish to return to us, please contact any member of our Front Desk Team who will be more than happy to assist you.

Warmest regards,

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

The Holiday Inn Express brand runs to a certain pattern, with the difference between different hotels being mainly service, location and cleanliness. On all three of those accounts, this Holiday Inn scores well. Cheerful and helpful reception staff, clean rooms that are typical of the brand and an excellent location adjacent to restaurants and cinemas and only a short stroll into the centre of Cheltenham. The breakfast is no different to any other HI Express and is at best adequate.

Car parking is adjacent to the hotel, but I arrived after 6pm and was able to street park next to the hotel for free.

This is my second stay at the hotel and I know what I am going to get with the HI Express brand ...... and what I am not going to get, like free wifi. HI really needs to reconsider wifi charging in light of so many other hotels removing such charges.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MDS24
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here a couple nights, and we had a wonderful time. The rooms are basic but comfortable. The lounge bar a great place to relax, and food is good too. The helpful staff made our stay very pleasant. Pleasantly surprised!

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept a great big Thank You from all of the staff here at the Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham! We are always aiming to surprise guests both new and old with our great Hotel and it's services.

The Lounge Bar is one of our most popular features among guests and we are always trying to improve on it to ensure that everyone has a more enjoyable experience.

We would hope to see you again in the near future so if you are coming back to Cheltenham, please do contact any one of our Front Desk team members and they will happily assist you.

Warmest regards,
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

After a six hour train journey to arrive in Cheltenham, I was greeted by a rude 'duty manager' who really couldn't care less about me and just wanted to get back to talking to his colleague.

Upon check in to my room, i found it was an accessible room, as I had actually booked an advance purchase room which stated it was a double bed with a sofa bed, i assumed a simple mistake had been made. After phoning reception, the individual couldn't help me and informed me that yet again the 'duty manager' would call me back shortly.

Ten minutes later the phone rang and I was informed that the hotel was full and they had to allocate me this room, upon questioning the duty manager about this he tried to shrug me off with some rubbish about a 'big event' being on (on a Wednesday night?), and that he couldn't help me further.

As a loyal IHG/HIX customer I'm absolutely disgusted at this and the service I've received, if you're looking a reasonable hotel in the area, don't make the same mistake I did and come here, head elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
KimberleyHIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I have just tried to contact you by telephone and left a voicemail for you. I have received your comments about your recent stay with us and I am very concerned by what has happened. I would like to take the opportunity to address this for you.

It is with great regret to hear of the staff service you received and I just wanted find out more information about what happened so I can address this with the staff member in question. Please be assured, this is not the high level of service we pride ourselves in providing our guests and I sincerley apologise if on this occassion this was not the case.

Our recent high guest satisfaction scores (and previous Trip Advisor reviews) reflect our committment to provide the highest level of care and attention to the guests who have stayed with us, and I would like to understand in further detail what happened on this occassion.

I will be addressing this issue with the persons involved once I have established who this was. However, I would also like to discuss this matter with you directly if possible.

Please do let me know when convenient to call you, or please do contact me directly on 01242 548202 so I can discuss this further.

Kind Regards,
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the holiday inn express very good value for money, got a special offer that they sent through via email to revisit. Excellent location, plenty of restaurants nearby. Montpelier has lots of wine Bars and a great place to go of an evening.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Karen E
KimberleyHIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, you have now had a taste of just one of our fantastic deals that are available to both new and existing guests. We are always striving to offer the very best deals to those who wish to stay at our Hotel.

One of our greatest features is the excellent location in regards to local amenities. Not to forget the gracious up to 25% discount given at certain restaurants within walking distance too.

Should you wish to have another enjoyable experience with us, feel free to speak to one of our esteemed colleagues on the front desk and they will happily assist you with finding an applicable date.

Kindest regards