“OK but could do with better receptionists”

Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Cheltenham
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I booked and pre-paid for this hotel on Hotels.com. On the day of arrival, I got there much too early and not really expecting to be able to check in, tried my luck: The manageress on duty was charming and helpful and was most apologetic that there weren't any non-smoking rooms available. Not overly surprised, I got the paperwork out of the way and agreed to return later on. The staff had changed when I returned and I had a little difficulty making them understand what had gone before. Eventually I was given a "smoking" room. When I questioned this, I was told that this is what was booked and that there weren't any others available. I entered the room and as you'd expect, it stank of stale smoke, so I fired up the laptop and got my Hotels.com confirmation: Non-smoking as I thought it would be. Back down to reception, by this time a little miffed and a non-smoking room was miraculously found.
The rest of the stay was as you'd expect from a HIE: Clean, comfortable, plenty of hot water and a basic breakfast. One surprise was that broadband connection was £15 whereas it's been free in other HIE's.
Checkout was almost as problematic as check-in: It centred around a difficulty in English. I thought the receptionist was trying to charge me again. She wasn't. It took around 10 minutes to get that clear though.
So, I probably had a bad time of it and would most likely stay there again. I'd recommend that they have at least one person with English as a first language on duty at reception though.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
HIEXGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Town Centre for your recent accommodation requirements, and also for taking the time in completing this Tripadvisor review.

It is with great regret and disappointment to learn that you encountered problems with our reception department.

We view all feedback very seriously, and consistently strive to improve our services to ensure all of our valued guests have a comfortable stay with us. I can take comfort in the knowledge that we have a friendly and hard working team at our hotel, but please be assured we have revisited the reception department training plan to ensure such circumstance do not happen again in the future.

Therefore I am confident the next time you visit us; you will receive the normal high levels of service and care that our guests have come to expect.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me personally, should you wish to discuss your stay in further detail.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham

Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed for just the one night whilst visiting friends in Gloucestershire. We were not disappointed by our choice, especially at the special offer price we paid, and given its central location, being just round the corner from Cheltenham’s main shopping streets and across the road from the Brewery leisure complex of eating places, cinema etc. As a city centre Express hotel there is no onsite parking but the NCP Brewery car park right next door currently charges £6.50 for 24 hours, (which is a great daily rate when you consider it’s £4.50 for just 2 to 4 hours). The check-in staff were some of the friendliest we have come across in UK chain hotels.

The hotel has made arrangements with local restaurants etc and when you check in, you’re given a list of establishments that will give discounts to HIEx guests. If it’s what you want, we were particularly impressed by the fact that you can use the Fitness First facilities in the Brewery complex for free throughout your stay. This means that gym, pool and sauna are effectively included in your rate!

This is a typical, newly built HI Express with light and airy rooms and communal spaces, which is helped by modern design and light wood. Our double room with separate sofa bed was a reasonable size, looked into the courtyard at the back and was, as a result, very quiet. Potential guests need to be aware that one side of the hotel faces a main road so if you are not used to road noise, ask for a quiet room like we did. There was not much storage space, but who stays long in an Express? The small bathroom was well designed with superb lighting, (including a blue night light – very handy for those middle of the night “trips”), a really good shower, and a separate toilet cubicle, which can be closed off using the door so the rest of the bathroom can still be used. We were surprised to get very large thick bath sheets instead of the small bath towels you get in some places.

We were a little disappointed the bed was only 4’ 6” but we guess it would be too much of a squeeze for a 5’ kingsize if the sofa bed was in use. For a change, the duvet was not too heavy, but it would probably be too hot in summer. The hairdryer was broken and although the staff were very helpful, they couldn’t sort it during our stay. We got a value hairdryer from Tesco for £3.97 and it’ll stay in the boot of the car for “emergencies” on future UK trips. We had a 26” Samsung LCD TV in the room with a wide choice of freeview channels and the picture was exceptional – why can’t many of the self styled better quality hotels do the same? It could, however, have been positioned higher up on a wall mounted swivel support so that it could be angled towards the bed. We often listen to the radio in hotels. In HIEx Cheltenham, radio comes from internet channels accessed via the TV. While it seemed to be possible to get various themed music channels, (which appeared to be from the US), the TV would not connect to UK radio channels at all, it just froze after selection. We also tried to adjust the air conditioning to get some heating but it didn’t want to respond either and the hotel provides no instructions in the room about its use.

We think the “complimentary” breakfast offered is very acceptable and is certainly better than some 4 star hotels we have stayed in. The croissants were particularly good and buttery. Recently, HIEx have added hot scrambled eggs and sausages to the long provided continental breakfast – management needs to learn that eggs can dry out pretty quickly in heated serving cabinets, as we discovered. If the breakfast room is quiet, perhaps it would be better to put out less eggs and top up when needed rather than leave them to dry out.

Given the fact that this is an almost new hotel, we were surprised and perhaps a little disappointed that in 2010 the whole of floor 4 was set aside as smoking rooms when many other hotels are getting rid of theirs.

All in all, a highly recommended place to stay in the centre of Cheltenham.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your booking with us here at the Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Town Centre. We appreciate your time in completing this Tripadvisor review.

It is a great pleasure to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us, as it is our full intention to ensure all of our guests have a pleasant and relaxing stay. All feedback is taken very seriously and used to improve our services in the future.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me personally should you require anything further. We do hope that we have the pleasure welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Town Centre in the near future.

Reviewed 19 October 2010

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel for one night in September 2010. The hotel is a good example of a holiday inn express - very new and modern. All areas of the hotel were spotless and there was no noise at night either despite the central location. I did ask for a quiet room though which was at the back of the hotel.
Although parking isn't included, it only costs about £5 for 24 hours right next door in a very secure NCP so it wasn't a problem.
The hotel is pretty much in the middle of town. Its maybe a 15 minute walk to the nicer parts of town such as montpellier but this was fine. It is a huge amount cheaper than most other Cheltenham hotels and is absolutely great. breakfast is included in your room price and there's lots of lovely cereal, toast, pastries, yoghurt and then some ropey looking scrambled egg and sausage. I steered clear of the hot food options and stuck with the cold and it was lovely.
All in all i would really recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying again if i get to visit Cheltenham again.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

I want to share our very good experience while staying at Holiday Inn Express in Cheltenham. My husband and I were both extremely happy with this hotel for the following reasons. The location is centralized and provides easy walking distance to surrounding shopping areas, parks, the library and tourist sites such as the pumping station. There are a number of good restaurants close by which are reasonably priced. Also, there is a parking garage located across the street. Enterprise car rental (another great service provider for us) is within walking distance. The hotel has elevator service which was essential for our heavy luggage, SKY sports channel, and a breakfast included in the daily rate. The hotel staff is very courteous and accommodating to guests. Another plus -- the hotel is close to the National Express coach station and service from London Heathrow is readily available. Cheltenham is an excellent base from which to tour the Cotswolds.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
HIEXGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Holiday Inn Cheltenham Town Centre for your recent accommodation requirements, and for completing this Tripadvisor review.

It is with great pleasure hearing your positive comments and that we meet your expectations during your stay.

I hope we will have the pleasure inviting you back to our hotel in the near future.

Yours,

Reviewed 14 September 2010

I booked a room here for a Saturday night, the hotel was almost full so we had to settle for a twin room, a double was available, but only the smoking floor. The hotel is of the quality you expect from a Holiday Inn. It was clean and the staff were friendly. Car parking is in the NCP direclty opposite the hotel and costs about £5:40 for 24 hours which I thought was very reasonable for a town centre.
We used this hotel as a base for visiting the Michelin Le Champignon Sauvage Restaurant which is fantastic if you are into fine dining. This was a £7 cab ride away.
Overall this hotel provides a convenient base from which to visit Cheltenham and while the breakfast won't win any awards it was satisfactory and included in the £89 room rate.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
HIEXGeneralManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2010

Dear Guest,

It is always a pleasure to hear to that our valued guests have had a comfortable stay. It is our intention to ensure all of our guests receive the best possible standards and all feedback is very useful in improving our services.

Reviewed 10 September 2010

This was my first visit to a Holiday Inn Express. I am aware that it is a budget/no frills chain, however when my booking was quoted at an average of £94.50 per night for a 4 night stay, I naively assumed that it would be more akin to a 4-star hotel.

How wrong I was. The room was sparsely furnished with no wardrobe or drawer space. I had to pack my things away every night because I didn't want to leave them out in the open. I also felt nervous leaving an expensive business suit/luggage lying around.

To give HIE their due, I did get switched from a twin to a double room when I complained, but my main issue was the huge mismatch between the rate I was paying and the amenities on offer. This was apparently out of their control and nothing could be done.

At half the price, I would have been perfectly happy. But surely HIE can see that charging almost £100 per night for a no-frills hotel is going to cause people to feel cheated and aggrieved? I do not have anything against this chain per se, but I strongly believe that they should be setting a cap on their rates. There is no way people should be paying £100 for this level of service on offer.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Cheltenham Town Centre for your recent accommodation requirements, and also for taking the time in completing this Trip Advisor Review.

It is with great regret and disappointment to hear you found our rates misleading, however you may appreciate the average rate of £94.50 was quoted and agreed by yourself at the time of booking. Moreover each hotel will be priced to the market and its demand. Prices will be tiered, to the same principle as airlines, car rental and other transportation and travel companies.

In relation to the “cap” of prices, this is very much dictated by the competitors and of course consumers. I believe you had a conversation with my Duty Manager, who assisted you with your questions regarding the pricing strategy.

Notwithstanding the above, your comments have been discussed with-in our revenue committee, of which please be assured, they have been taken on board.

Please do not hesitate in contacting me, should you wish to discuss your experiences in further detail.

Yours

Reviewed 26 August 2010

You can't really complain about too much when a room for 4 people costs 47pounds. Everything was absolutely fine, air conditioning slightly noisy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family