“Garden view? I dont think so”

Willoughby House Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #36 of 69 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
holland
“Garden view? I dont think so”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We checked the reviews and photos for this hotel, and we felt that the room we got was nowhere near the standard shown on the website. I booked a room that was described as a 'garden view' but when we arrived we found out that the room was at basement level, so the only view we really had was of a wall. We left the hotel as soon as we could find an alternative.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nectonian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bexley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We just got back from our short touring holiday around the Cotswold etc, And I have to say ,the best Hotel we found was Willoughby House in Cheltenham.
It was a smashing big old family house/home, with a great history.
We were greeted and introduced to the family (including the big old Labrador sitting outside on the porch, he doesn't live in by the way), which were all very friendly and extremely helpful, we had a great room overlooking the garden,with a big four poster bed, all was very clean & comfortable and well fitted out..
The location couldn't have been better, just around the corner to everything.We found some great places to eat, like in an old church & and an old cinema, brilliant.
Will be back ,very soon.
Nearly forgot, lovely plentiful breakfast,

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I was delighted to recently stay at Willoughby House. I was firstly impressed with what a wonderful location I had chosen so close to Montpellier Village where the restaurants and cute little bars were endless. My room was charming and beautifully clean. All the extra little touches like lovely soap and body lotion and delish biscuits and teas were very much appreciated. The breakfasts were just what I would have expected in such a lovely establishment and the chef kindly remembered what I liked each day (including my tabasco sauce). The owners daughter was lovely to speak with over breakfast and pointed out many local drives and villages that were in easy distance to explore. Overall the hotel more than met my expectations and I will be returning at the same time next year.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Mudgeeraba
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My Mother and I stayed 3 nights at this gorgeous property and did not want to leave. From the moment we arrived we were warmly welcomed by the charming owners which was in keeping with the ambience of this delightful hotel. My mother and I shared the enormous suite on the ground floor which comprised of 2 bedrooms, a king 4 poster bed and 2 single beds. I immediately thought this would also be perfect for families also and intend to return with my husband and children. The location of the property is superb as is within walking distance of very good restaurants and excellent shopping. We also thoroughly enjoyed the yummy breakfast and with it's delightful garden views the British charm continues ! We also enjoyed having drinks by the fire in the lounge and tea in the garden. There is just so much to love about this hotel and we'd love to return regularly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Kent
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Our visit was to celebrate my partner's birthday - wanting something a little special to make her day complete, we were not disappointed! The location of the hotel is great, and the facilities are simply superb! We stayed in the Willoughby suite and can safely say it was all I had hoped for and much more! The staff were great,the breakfast fantastic, and the loyalty bar a fabulous idea! Thank you for making our stay in Cheltenham special and memorable - we will be back!

Room Tip: Willoughby suite just perfect!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Called last minute and was fortunate enough to get a room at the Willoughby. Not just any room, The Willoughby Suite which was ideal for my wifes birthday on the 27th. No pressure to pre-pay which was great considering that we would be staying on a Saturday night. The location is superb, within walking distance of the shops, bars and fine dining of Montpellier. The welcome was friendly, informative and helpful whilst not being too long or intrusive. Room was tastefully decorated and spacious with views across the lawn towards the bowling green. Breakfast was a delight with something to please everyone's tastebuds. All the staff were friendly and made time to answer questions about the area and places to visit. The building itself is handsome and impressive and the interior decor doesn't let it down. Would we stay again?
ABSOLUTELY

Room Tip: Dine at the Daffodil restaurant. Cocktail at John Gordon's to taste whisky & wine Phone in...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed with other two friends in the ground-floor suite here, and we had a wonderful time at Willoughby House. Everything is perfect, and the host family is very kind and friendly. We love the whole atmosphere in this hotel during our stay, they also recommend a great Thai restaurant to us for dinner.

The decorations inside is fantastic! Large space, clean bathroom, comfortable king-size bed... I am also a lover of vintage and old furniture, so it feels that every single accessories in the suite tells a story. Also, the breakfast is very delicious, we also love the lady who served us that morning for our breakfast. She's elegant and helpful which makes us feel at home. Very nice view from a table beside the window, we could enjoy the garden view as well.

The gentlemen who talked to me during our stay is very warm and patient when we want to leave our luggage in the hotel after check out, and he left a lovely note on the door for us to come-in when we get back in the late afternoon. Overall, it is a smart for anyone if you want to have a relaxing and great time in Cheltenham.

We would highly recommend here!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends