“Excellent Swedish food”

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Gloucestershire
“Excellent Swedish food”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

This restaurant is a regular of ours, especially on the first Saturday evening of each month, when they prepare a smörgåsbord, a hot and cold Swedish buffet. We also went along to the Midsummer dinner recently at Svea, which was great fun. The restaurant is run by Swedes and the cooking and the decor are authentic. The welcome and the service are warm and friendly. The restaurant is centrally located in Cheltenham in Rodney Road.

Cheltenham
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Something different”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We've been to Svea a couple of times, once for lunch and then, more recently, for a Valentine's evening meal. On both occasions we have been enjoyed the delicious, freshly prepared food and the excellent, friendly service. On our most recent visit, we were treated to an earthy roast beetroot soup, some very tasty seafood, and delicious desserts (the 'Queen Cake' was a particular treat). There is also a good selection of Swedish snaps and Swedish beers on offers. The atmosphere is calm and welcoming, too.

Paris
“Excellent little restaurant.”
Reviewed 11 June 2009

A good mix of Swedish cuisine, especially the Smorgas platter that offers a good mix of national specialities. Friendly and attentive service. It was just a shame that the restaurant was somewhat empty, albeit on a Thursday evening. Highly recommended for an original alternative to some of the more staple restaurants in Cheltenham. Be aware that, at time of writing, the dinner service is only available from Thursday to Saturday.

Manchester
“Swedish food is more than just meatballs!”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

My sister has been raving about this restaurant for weeks, so on a recent visit to Cheltenham we went there for dinner on a Saturday night. Even though it had seemed to be bussling with lunchtime business when we passed during the day it was a quiet evening. That is what has prompted me to make this review because I feel word needs to get out about how lovely the food is here. Swedish cuisine may not be known to many - when I've mentioned it to friends they can only think of meat balls (which do make a welcome appearance on the menu) - however, there's a whole host of other tasty dishes to be found. As a starter we shared a Smörgås Platter which I highly recommend if you want to sample a variety of traditional dishes in small quantities. For the main course I had Tjälknöl (slow baked marinated beef with spiced juniper sauce served with potato gratin); it was delicious! I'm thinking of making a trip again on the first Saturday of a month to sample their Swedish Smörgåsbord (buffet); which I was informed occurs on the first Saturday evening of every month. Before I finish I must make sure the waitress gets a mention; she was so friendly and helpful in explaining the dishes to us - excellent service!