“Recommended”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Cheltenham
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I booked this after having read the managers feedback from a previous review. That may sound strange but the way he replied impressed me and in conjunction with other reviews I made the booking. I do not regret my choice. I cannot add a lot to previous reviews. The booking process is straightforward enough. The suite was a nice size and the bed more than big enough for two ! The only criticism we had was what we saw as a slight lack of attention to detail. When we arrived the mugs were not clean and the glasses had a residue on them. A silly thing to fall down on but that would not stop me either staying here again or recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Strozzi, Manager at Strozzi Palace Suites by Mansley, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review and feedback. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Please do be assured that attention to detail really is everything to us;

I’ve personally spoken with the housekeeping team about the apparent oversight on this occasion. Our standards are very exacting, so this certainly is not the norm.

We very much look forward to having you with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

After seeing the great reviews on TripAdvisor I booked 4 suites for a weekend away with friends. The suites did not disappoint. They were spacious and beautifully furnished. Large comfortable beds, nice bathrooms and the kitchen areas are a great addition.They are in a perfect location too. The team that dealt with all my enquiries and requests were absolutely wonderful. A special thanks to David and for Georgina who found and is returning the brand new dress that i accidentally left behind. A wonderful weekend was had by all.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed here many times stopping off en route to other destinations. The rooms are high end in terms of quality, design, cleanliness and comfort. The superking beds are super indeed and the showers truly 'rainforest' standard. The booking, arrival and departure system is efficient and simple. Parking is free and close by. The continental breakfast welcome , good quality, fast and simple. I can wholeheartedly recommend Strozzi for the discerning traveller.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in the Milano and Amalfi suites on the first floor. I can't really add much to all the factual stuff regarding facilities, breakfasts, location etc. It is all very nicely done, and if you like the apart-hotel approach, it is pretty slick. Nice touches like olives and cold meats in the fridge......alongside the bread, milk and breakfast cereals (kids will love the Kellogg's variety pack.....and maybe the adults secretly do too!). Parking is close and easy. The town is a few metres away, but the location is not too noisy (despite being next to a pub).

But, mentioning noise, therein lies the big problem in the suites we were in. You can hear every step of the people on the floor above......and if they are getting up 3 or 4 times in the night to go to the loo, then you wake up. Added to that, the waste plumbing goes down within the building, so if the footsteps don't wake you up, the "whoosh" of the flush will. I have no actual evidence of elephants, but at 3am, it didn't half feel like it.

It's a shame, as everything else is pretty good........so I recommend going for the suites on the upper floors only.

Room Tip: Don't go for the suites on the lower floor(s)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

A great alternative to a hotel in a really central location. The suite was beautiful - a real treat. The kitchen was well kitted out and the breakfast was great. There are a couple of great restaurants nearby.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed in Tuscany suite over the Christmas period 2013. The unit is smallish but perfectly described on the Web site. The unit has has a sitting and dining area, small kitchen area, separate bedroom and bathroom. Nice welcome pack in the kitchen. Everything is to an excellent finish. Everything clean and fully equipped. Fast Wi-Fi. Easy walking distance to the shops and restaurants. Not a particularly good view, but highly recommended. We loved it.

Room Tip: All rooms looked to be a similar standard.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
USA
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Spent a few days at the Strozzi Palace recently on the yearly visit home from the US to see family. It was our first time there and we enjoyed it immensely. Let me start by saying this is not a hotel, so if your looking for a load of interaction with staff then you'll be in for a surprise. What the Strozzi Palace is are wonderful well fitted out apartments, 6 to be exact, all with the same Italian styling, but slight differences in size and layout. We were in the Tuscany on the 2nd floor. Just right for 2 people and the bedroom had double doors to shut it off from the rest of the apartment for an early riser like me. All the things you would want are there like wifi, alarm clock radio with mp3 player, 2 flat panel TV’s, great little kitchen with everything you need inc a French press for coffee, table and chairs for eating in, very well fitted bathroom with good quality toiletries. What i also liked was that they gave you all the essentials for breakfast like bread, croissants, marmalade, jams, tea, coffee, milk and juice etc. If there is a particular thing you like, ask them and the chances are, it will be in the fridge waiting for you. What i also noticed was that they are not cheap on the breakfast items either. No "value" Tesco bread here. Excellent quality! When i arrived, i bought myself a nice loaf of nutty brown bread, when we used it up, i left a message just asking for a loaf of bread, what was waiting for us was some more nutty brown bread. I liked that! They took notice of what we'd been using before!
Georgina and the housekeepers were great. Nothing was too much trouble and they were very friendly They will come in and do housekeeping each day inc washing your pots and replenish breakfast items
The fact that there is no staff on site is no issue. We discovered that a quick email (or phone call) guaranteed a quick response inc one time when I had a suggestion that robes were the one thing missing and 30min later robes for every room appeared. Excellent quality for both the robes and towels

Another thing we liked was the lack of noise from the main road that’s part of Cheltenham’s one way system. There’s lots of clubs and pubs in that part of town but there was zero noise at 2am chucking out time so a good night’s sleep was always had.

The location of the Strozzi was perfect too, right in the centre of the town. Close to shops and restaurants. The nearest supermarket (Tesco) is 5min walk away. There are wonderful restaurants in Cheltenham and you are right by them at the Strozzi. Cheltenham’s Promenade and Montpellier are just short walks away.

The car park is just down the road, no more than a hundred yards. It’s a private car park for numerous businesses inc the Strozzi. There is plenty of parking there and its security monitored and lights come on via sensors when you come back in the dark. I know it’s monitored as I had a couple of conversations with a gentleman that would appear from the building next to it. I think he may have been the owner. I have to say he was a really nice guy and helped me out twice when there was no parking in the allocated spots . He’d just appear each time. I liked him and I know that my car is safe and sound under his watch.
This review is a lot longer than I usually do but I thought it was worth the time. If you like something, tell people about it and we were there 9 days.
I’m going to leave you all with a wonderful little tip .. Restaurants!
First thing, if you want to try a real English tea done the proper way, go to the Well Walk tea room just round the corner from the Strozzi Palace. Wonderful place
Just down the road from the Stozzi Palace and the car park is a very nice restaurant called the Chelsea Bar and Brasserie. They are part of a group of restaurants called the Brasserie Group. If you’re in Cheltenham for a few days and plan on eating out, go there and pick up a Brasserie VIP card, it costs you 20pounds but in return you get a free bottle of wine and a little plastic card that gets you discounts in other restaurants that are part of their group inc the Chelsea, a Thai and 4 Indian restaurants. I love Indian food so this was good and in the restaurants we went to, when you paid for one main course you got the other one free. You even got 20% off your coffee at a nice little coffee shop in Montpellier. The card paid for itself within 24hrs. There are other discounts available on the card too

We had a wonderful stay and know you will too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple