“Not recommended for Cotswold Way Walkers”
Review of Detmore House

Detmore House
Detmore House
Ranked #27 of 70 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Not recommended for Cotswold Way Walkers”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is a nicely furnished, clean, high-end B&B, but I did not receive a warm reception. I was chided and lectured at length by both Mr and Mrs for arriving 2 hours "late." The owners claimed that I had entered 4:00PM on my online booking form. This was a simple entry mistake on my part, but it was if I had commited a serious crime. Being tired after walking all day and climbing Cleeve Hill, I was not in the mood for a protracted argument. I almost put my boots back on and left. This would have resulted in loss of significant money, so I stayed, but I let them know that I did not appreciate their attitude. Note also that after you book using their online system, you will receive a legal document explaining that there is no chance of getting out of full payment, no matter what. Long-distance walkers, especially seniors like myself, need lodgings that are somewhat flexible. I would never stay here again. I highly recommend the wonderfully friendly, less expensive, clean, and easier to locate Charlton Kings Hotel, which is slightly closer to the trail on the main road. It also has a nice restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I should start by saying that to me Detmore house looked more like a small luxury boutique hotel than a mere B&B. I was immediately impressed by the surrounding countryside and gardens and then by the house itself. The room was simply perfect, spacious and top-notch. The huge bathroom is bathed in natural light that comes in through a large window that offers stunning views of the garden. I must say it exceeded my expectations- it is better than it looks on the internet site. The breakfast - freshly cooked at a previously arranged time-is served in the dining room downstairs and makes you feel like you are actually the guest at someone's house. The hosts, Hugh and Gill, are a marvelous couple- welcoming and thoughtful. They kindly printed a map of Cheltenham for us and even furnished us with a huge umbrella when the weather changed.
I just wish we could have stayed longer . The Cotswolds area - which my husband rightfully called 'England's Tuscany"- deserves a long, more relaxed stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank atravelcat
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Definitely 5 star accommodation. Glorious setting just outside Cheltenham, very quiet and peaceful, although close to A40 it felt as if we were in a country hotel. Warm welcome from Gill and Hugh. The room (Oak) was beautiful and spacious, with enormous bathroom. Freshly cooked breakfast to order. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue D
West Sussex
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here during race week and have to say was overwhelmed by the house.
The photo's on the website do not do it justice.
Our room was top notch with all the trappings of a 5 star B&B.
I found the hosts extremely accommodating and the breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice.
I would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Cheltenham.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EggyPuff
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Stayed here for one night to visit Cheltenham Races. It is a lovely well presented house at the very top end of B&B's. spotlessly clean with nice little touches. But I have a couple of moans! Have waited to write my review but I'm still annoyed, Having paid £160 for 1 night to come back up from breakfast to find our bedroom door wide open and the cleaner already stripped the bed before check out time I find a bit rude, especially when walking along the landing to leave hearing "oh they're going now" and being asked for our room keys! I understand that during the Cheltenham Festival it will be busy but I haven't had that treatment before and would not expect it in this price range. Also filled in our breakfast menu and recieved some of the requested items didn't bring it to attention as the host did not seem approachable, also thought it was rather rude to clear & wipe the table with guests still chatting. All in all a great house in a fantastic setting could just do with being a bit friendlier with a bit of thought about guests feelings.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WIZZLEHEN
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We (husband and I) stayed at very short notice for one night during Cheltenham Races on November 17th. It was chosen for us by my cousin who was coming down from Scotland as there were no more rooms where he was staying. I'm sure we're the ones who struck lucky. Really impressive house, beautifully and very tastefully decorated. Whole house was spotless and the room was of an exceptionally high standard. Breakfast was a feast if you wanted to indulge. Couldn't fault the place and would like to stay longer so may well arrange something in 2013 when the weather is better and we can explore the area better. Would certainly recommend to friends or anyone. It was more expensive than normal but then we expected that in Gold Cup week. Any other time it would certainly be value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We stayed at Detmore House for two nights in September,using it as a base for exploring the Cotswolds. We booked based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed.Beautifully situated, it was lovely and quiet with great views. On driving up the long drive way when we arrived we were greeted by the sight of two buzzards! Nothing was too much trouble and the rooms were spotless. It felt more like staying in a hotel than a B&B. We love our gadgets and appreciated the free Wifi and i-pod dock. The breakfasts were great too. We would thoroughly recommend it and would love to stay again soon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple