“Best B&B”
Review of Detmore House

Detmore House
Ranked #29 of 68 Cheltenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Had a couple of days here and can only describe it as an exceptional B&B that exceeded our expectations.Best B&B we've ever stayed at.Friendly and welcoming attitude of the Proprietors..Nothing was too much trouble.Would have no hesitation in recommending this establishment.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Talanarn

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We were walking along the Cotswold Way and had a little difficulty finding the place. A sign on both sides of Detmore Close (street) would have been helpful. If you are walking north to south, do a 180 degree turn at Detmore Close and you'll see the sign. The B&B is beautiful. What a lovely house. The hostess was very kind. She even called a cab for us to go into town for dinner. She suggested an excellent place for dinner. The room was beautiful and very comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth A
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I've just returned from a fantastic visit to Detmore House. We were a arty of four adult and four children under five so we were a bit of a handful as you can imagine. Gill couldn't have been more accommodating and flexible. The breakfasts were scrummy and we had brought our own wine for the evening and Hugh kindly provided glasses etc. We were also given good local recommendations for eating and recreation. We will definitely return and with such good value I would highly recommend others visit too.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sarahcg
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This is a nicely furnished, clean, high-end B&B, but I did not receive a warm reception. I was chided and lectured at length by both Mr and Mrs for arriving 2 hours "late." The owners claimed that I had entered 4:00PM on my online booking form. This was a simple entry mistake on my part, but it was if I had commited a serious crime. Being tired after walking all day and climbing Cleeve Hill, I was not in the mood for a protracted argument. I almost put my boots back on and left. This would have resulted in loss of significant money, so I stayed, but I let them know that I did not appreciate their attitude. Note also that after you book using their online system, you will receive a legal document explaining that there is no chance of getting out of full payment, no matter what. Long-distance walkers, especially seniors like myself, need lodgings that are somewhat flexible. I would never stay here again. I highly recommend the wonderfully friendly, less expensive, clean, and easier to locate Charlton Kings Hotel, which is slightly closer to the trail on the main road. It also has a nice restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I should start by saying that to me Detmore house looked more like a small luxury boutique hotel than a mere B&B. I was immediately impressed by the surrounding countryside and gardens and then by the house itself. The room was simply perfect, spacious and top-notch. The huge bathroom is bathed in natural light that comes in through a large window that offers stunning views of the garden. I must say it exceeded my expectations- it is better than it looks on the internet site. The breakfast - freshly cooked at a previously arranged time-is served in the dining room downstairs and makes you feel like you are actually the guest at someone's house. The hosts, Hugh and Gill, are a marvelous couple- welcoming and thoughtful. They kindly printed a map of Cheltenham for us and even furnished us with a huge umbrella when the weather changed.
I just wish we could have stayed longer . The Cotswolds area - which my husband rightfully called 'England's Tuscany"- deserves a long, more relaxed stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank atravelcat
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Definitely 5 star accommodation. Glorious setting just outside Cheltenham, very quiet and peaceful, although close to A40 it felt as if we were in a country hotel. Warm welcome from Gill and Hugh. The room (Oak) was beautiful and spacious, with enormous bathroom. Freshly cooked breakfast to order. We hope to visit again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue D
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed here during race week and have to say was overwhelmed by the house.
The photo's on the website do not do it justice.
Our room was top notch with all the trappings of a 5 star B&B.
I found the hosts extremely accommodating and the breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice.
I would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting Cheltenham.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple