“just awfull”
Review of Central Studios

Central Studios
“just awfull”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

the showers are dirty and smell like raw sewage. the mattresses are bone crushing hard. everytime somebody walks in the hallway the floor makes a lot of noise. there is one positive thing also, you dont need to set an alarm clock because the passing trains keep you awake allnight, so you know what time to get up. if you want to avoid a fungal infection, don't go here

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We went to Cheltenham for the racing and were struggling for accomodation, they had room at Central Studios and i can understand why. The room was small, a twin room 12ft by 9ft id say the beds were very poor quality you could feel the springs coming thru and my first nights sleep was very uncomfortable, the pillows again poor quality wafer thin, it doesnt make sense to save a few quid buying cheap bedding but some decent pillows it wud make a difference for minimal cost. +ve were the bathroom facilities two of them very nice decent showers. Another -ve was the checking in / entry system they say they will text you with details , although they had our mobile number they didnt call, and the code/key safe system is not ideal

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stayed in the central studio glouester for 1 night and it was enough, I would not recommend this so called apartments to anyone, the staff was non existent and only for a present tenant we would be still outside, the room was terribly decorated and had a damp smell, we had to share a bathroom out in the hall with other residents and this 2012, can't believe so many travel companies have this kip on their sites,

• Stayed September 2012

Travellers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The worst thing was the lack of human contact. The booking transaction was conducted
on line and access to building (after negotiating metal fire escape in car park,) was reached through pressing codes on doors. As a lone traveller I found the dark corridors and lack of personal contact slightly alarming.

The building smelt of damp. The bed was uncomfortable with squeaky frame and thin mattress. No breakfast.

One shared toilet and shower between five rooms. Youth hostels offer better facilities.

At £110 a night one would expect better than this.

They should half the price, get a warden in and call it a hostel. Then it would have been fine.

It was reminded me of the motel in Hitchcock's Psycho.
Jo Siedlecka, editor Independent Carholic News.

Room Tip: don't stay here. I picked it last minute and it seemed to be the only room left in Cheltenham i...
Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I have stayed here a few times. It provides good budget accommodation with easy access to to the town. Very close to the train station and buses run to Cheltenham and Gloucester.
The room contained TV and cooking facilities with a local shop just over the road.
The room was clean and the staff friendly and helpful.

I will stay here on future visits.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Astrojim
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed here in February and it was ghastly. There was an overpowering stench of sewerage in the room which, given the fact that there was one of those plug-in air-fresheners on when I got there, the staff must have been aware of. I arrived late so wasn't in a position to complain and spent one of the worst nights of my life. Furthermore the room was at the back of the complex and the window opened onto one of the platform of Cheltenham train station. From about 3am there were freight trains coming in and out and the noise was atrocious.

I made a complaint when I returned home which was answered. I smell was acknowledged and I received an apology, stating it was a new problem. But it can;t be as others here have commented on it so it's quite longstanding. However the management appeared to suggest I was making up the part about the noise (again I note here that others have felt that they were, on complaining, bascially called liars) which infuriated me. I was offered a 10% reduction on my next visit but a 100% discount wouldn't entice me to stay in this dump again.

To be fair I have to state that I had stayed before and had no problems

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SG1968
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Even if you are on a budget, spend an extra fifty quid and go somewhere else. I booked rooms for two weeks. In hindsight the first room was five star, even if the room stank of human excrement and the front door didn't lock. I thought that was bad enough until I went to a studio in the town center. At least it didn't smell of crap, but again the front door would not lock and having been woken up in the middle of the night being eaten alive by what I can only assume to be bed bugs, I went to the car to get my ground mat and sleeping bag that I luckily had with me and spent the night as far away from the bed and skirting boards as I could. If it had not been twelve below zero, I would have slept in my car. I also would have thought it would cost more in research to make a mattress so uncomfortable and bereft of any hint of padding as it would to just buy a half decent one. I am pretty sure I've bought toilet roll more expensive than the mattress.

in fairness, if you stay for the festival and you're out all day and evening, it may pass...any other reason... Avoid like the plague. I am so dissatisfied and depressed at finding myself staying here, but being truthful... It is clean in an extremely tired way.

• Stayed February 2012