“Avoid Central Studios Portland Street!”
Review of Central Studios

and 1 more site!
Central Studios
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stayed at Central Studios 7 Portland Street over the Bank Holiday weekend - room 16. Very disappointed. Definitely not worth the £279 paid for 4 nights. The place needs total re-decoration. There was no remote control for the TV which was wall mounted high up. Reported to reception on arrival. Was told that they would check with the cleaner in the morning. I spoke to the cleaner in the morning and she knew nothing about it. Went back to reception. Told the remote must have been stolen; not offered a replacement. It was almost impossible to turn the TV on or change channel as there was no chair in the room that I could have stood on. Bed linen was grubby. the mattress was very thin and uncomfortable. Bitten by something in the bed. There was a loud buzzing noise most of the night which kept me awake (maybe A/C). The toilet was opposite so you get the noise of people using it. No hand towels or dryer to dry your hands. Second night reported that the microwave was not working on the microwave setting. This was not fixed. Skirting boards around shower were rotten. The room is over looked by other properties and the car-park. As there were no blinds or net curtains I had to keep the curtain drawn. Carpet in the room and building where stained. Wifi in the room kept dropping connection. Notice that people sat on a dilapidated sofa downstairs to get wifi reception. The Central studios were the only place with vacancies that weekend. Now I know why! I did email to complain but I never received a reply. Left feeling ripped off. One for watchdog I think!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank L0rnaHB

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this place. Not sure what the fuss is about.

I've stayed in some beautiful places/hotels in my life but for this particular stay I needed something very cheap because money is tight as I'm in the process of starting my own business.

The building from the outside is not very appealing however inside it was clean and as per the pictures on trip adviser. I booked a single room however they upgraded me to the family room which meant that I had lots of space and a shower in my room.

The free parking is ideal and keeps the cost low. On the day of arrival you will receive a text message from them with the door code which allows you to get into the main building. The message also includes the code to release your key once your in the building. There is not reception but there is a (local) telephone number that you can call for help.

The kitchen facility were fine. I actually took tea bags and sugar with me but I didn't need to because they were provided. I also took a towel but again, fresh towels were provided.

I thought the room was clean as was the toilet facilities. The bed admittedly was very hard but I used another duvet to soften it a little bit. There was a little bit if a funny smell in the hall way but my room was fine so it didn't bother me.

For the price I paid, I cannot fault this place. I got more that I expected and would stay again if I need cheap accommodation in Cheltenham.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The bed was awful, one of the mattresses making the double bed was completely worn out, we sank completely though, feeling all the springs inside and the bed base underneath!

The walls are made of paper, you hear everything happening in next-door rooms and outside.

As there is no reception or personnel available, we called to complain (from our foreign phone, which was expensive) to complain, they said they would change mattresses or move us to another room and phone us later in the day to inform us of the solution applied, but never called back and had to stay for the following 2 nights in the same conditions!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this place, especially after reading some of the reviews on here.

There is no check in as such as there is no reception, instead you get called after booking asking for card details for any breakages etc - this is because they don't have anyone to check you in person. I was then texted an entry code on the day of arrival to get in and then another code to release the keys from a holder by the room door.
As I arrived at night, it was especially fiddly to release the key as the hallway was quite dark (couldn't see where the switch was), however found my phone light quite useful. I can imagine if you arrived rather inebriated this would be quite complicated!
That said, the room itself was nicely decorated and spotlessly clean as were the shared facilities which was a relief!
The room smelt quite a bit of air freshener as it was masking smoke but this is not really the hotel's fault as smoking is not permitted and signs clearly state this.
The bed was slightly saggy in the middle but was otherwise comfortable (I wondered if it was one of those memory foam ones) but even so managed to get a good nights sleep and did not notice any external noise on the night I stayed.
Overall I would recommend, particularly for those that want to bring their own food, don't want breakfast, don't want hassle with chatting to owners etc etc as it's quite quick and convenient. It's also clean and good value.

I think this would also be ideal for people who are contracting long term and want a hotel with a kitchenette. There is a no hob but there is microwave and sink, a fridge and some crockery.

Room Tip: TIP: The hotel had adverts stating that if you call them directly they will give you 5% off Internet...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank BC20
Reviewed 8 April 2013

People, if you want a very sensibly priced room / hotel without expecting 5 star service, these guys have the deal for you.. My daughter booked us 2 rooms for us to attend a wedding.. in all honesty the travel lodge near to the venue was full , so she found 'central studios' 298 Glocester rd Cheltenham.
When she described the situation.. I.e no reception .. book yourself in with pass code, no on site staff ? I had my worries, however, we got in trouble free, in fact we were earlier than check in and the guy I phoned at the office ( on a sunday at 11 am ) was more than helpfull.
The rooms are very clean & well kept. The showers and loo's are tiled up to date and clean ( although not ' en suite ) , and generally the whole place feels very homely. would recomend this to anyone, but as you would expect from the price , you aint stayin at the Ritz, so dont be silly..

Room Tip: if you just need a room for a couple of nights or so.. this place is great
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 317peterj
Reviewed 4 April 2013

the showers are dirty and smell like raw sewage. the mattresses are bone crushing hard. everytime somebody walks in the hallway the floor makes a lot of noise. there is one positive thing also, you dont need to set an alarm clock because the passing trains keep you awake allnight, so you know what time to get up. if you want to avoid a fungal infection, don't go here

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We went to Cheltenham for the racing and were struggling for accomodation, they had room at Central Studios and i can understand why. The room was small, a twin room 12ft by 9ft id say the beds were very poor quality you could feel the springs coming thru and my first nights sleep was very uncomfortable, the pillows again poor quality wafer thin, it doesnt make sense to save a few quid buying cheap bedding but some decent pillows it wud make a difference for minimal cost. +ve were the bathroom facilities two of them very nice decent showers. Another -ve was the checking in / entry system they say they will text you with details , although they had our mobile number they didnt call, and the code/key safe system is not ideal

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends