“Awful hole”

Central Studios
Essex, United Kingdom
“Awful hole”
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

The most awful dark dingy smelly hole that we later found out is the local doss house. £40 for a night is budget accomadation but my goodness this is grimsville. We stayed all of ten minutes I could not breathe from the muskrat smell which is made worse by the smell of bleach sprayed round by the apparant cleaners....its all very cloak and dagger receiving a text instead of a welcome from a host...im not surprised I would not want to show my face either if I owned that place and was taking peoples cash from them. After much debate on the phone a comprimise on a 50% refund which was promised to be credited to my account but has not been. Paid another £80 and stayed away...im sure you would easily catch scabies in those sheets.....do not taje the risk and book this place its dire !!!

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

I wish we had read the reviews before we booked it. I would never stay here again. We only booked in for the night on a girly night away. We got no sleep at all as people were slamming doors early hours in the morning. You could feel the springs on the mattress and when you turned over the bed would squeak! I didn't feel safe the whole time I was there and nor did I like the fact of sharing the bathroom with strangers! And to top it off check out was at 10!!!!!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gala R

Travellers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I'm sitting on a sofa that is collapsing in the middle as I write this. It is the opposite of comfortable. There is no table provided - despite it supposedly being a studio apt - so I have the laptop perched on my knee. The room is painted mushroom, a sort of hideous mix of grey and brown. And the room is illuminated by one mingy 60 watt overhead light, which just makes the brownness of the room feel even more brown and depressing. The room, which is essentially a bedsit comes with a broken shower (it works, but the fitting that hold it is broken)... so I took a shower in one of the provided shower-rooms which had a loose-fitting door, so the water went all over the floor, and the sink was blocked. And even though the shower room looked okay and photographs well, it is tiled with cheap tiles that are pock-marked and broken. Back to the room... the paint is flaking and blistered beside the broken shower. The skirting board is chipped with flaking paint. Someone has applied polyfilla above it, but not painted over it... and the room smells of something not very pleasant, a combination of old farts and something beginning to rot... can't work out where it is coming from, maybe the drains... I need to keep the window open for some fresh-ish air, and that only makes the sound of the traffic on this main road all the louder.

All in all, a bloody grim place... the big, wall-mounted flat-screen telly is little compensation for the general crapness of this place. And it's relative cheapness - £25 a night - is little compensation either. I'd rather pay an extra £5 or £10 and get a breakfast thrown in, as you would at a regular B&B. And the owners, wisely, choose not to be on the premises... if you want to complain you're going to have to do it over the telephone....

Oh aye, and don't be fooled by the name. These studios are not central. They are a long way from the town centre.

The worst place I have experienced in the UK this year...

Room Tip: Do not come here at all. Go elsewhere. Pay a bit extra and stay in a nice place.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Got the room for £25 reduced from sixty odd pound for the night, good value or so I thought. The room you get is simply a bedsit with a big telly in it. You can get the same sort of room above a pub for £25 per night all year round. Everything inside the room was O.K. and all the bedding, cupboards work tops and white goods were clean and of a generally good standard. The problem was the noise. Doors would bang at odd hours, the same with people walking across car park at the back of the building. What is more, the central heating sounded like a banshee with a paper cut. I think I had all of three hours sleep, not good. This place is all right if you are stuck for somewhere to stay but I would not recommend this place for a longer stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Warwickshire
Reviewed 2 November 2013

From the photos shown on the website it looks a lovely place to stay until you see the front of the building. A run down unlived in property.
Walked in through the front door and we could hear the room opposite's convo. Then through the door to our room (room 5) we were hit by the stench! Honestly I have never ever smelt anything like it!
Daring to walk in further, the leather look sofa was covered in dried clear liquid (have uploaded an image) and I didn't even bother pulling the sheets back!!
We didn't stay in there for more than 5 minutes, turned around and walked out!

Also, the name Central Studios??? Central to where?????

Room Tip: Add a tip to help travellers choose a good room???? Don't book here!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here for stag do with group of mates all in 40s. Arrived to find gangs of young men hanging out of windows drinking. After returning from a day at the races we attempted to sleep to no avail. Doors slamming all night, cars came and went and people seemed to be constantly walking between the main building and the annexe at the back. It was rough. When we left next morning there were cans and bottles strewn about the front of the building. For £89 I expected something better. Go anywhere in Cheltenham except this hell hole.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joannapike84
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I'm shocked to see any good review the room was disgusting the mattresses looked something from a drug den I'm not fussy when working away but this was the worst place iv ever seen I would not leave my dog to sleep in it ... Avoid it like the plague...

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business