“Noisy, basic and pokey. Not what we booked”

Central Serviced Apartments
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Noisy, basic and pokey. Not what we booked”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Originally booked through laterooms.com to stay in Portland Street A/ments. Within 2 mins of booking I had to go through another booking centre which was bookedrooms.com. Then several emails later told me there was no parking (which is stated it did) and then there was a diversion. Then I needed to go and collect keys from another hotel before I could gain access to said apartments. We were given keys and set off for apartment which was a different one. Arrived to find parking (which no access to!!) and a twin room....had to lug all luggage back to hotel to explain this. Then given another set of keys for a totally different apartment which was pokey with double bed under soloing ceiling. We came back quite late say 1am....however we never slept a wink as people swearing, shouting and arguing around these apartments as there is a cut through alley. You also have to be out by 10am however we were knocked up at 9.30am!
Never again....wild goose chase!!!.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank REJ1974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked 3 apartments with this company on St Pauls Street North in Cheltenham for my sister's hen do. I made the booking mid-February and paid the £300 deposit and was told I needed to pay the rest one month before. I phoned in good time to make the final payment, but was told that my booking was cancelled as, on that day, they had extended another group's booking and they now had no more availability. I was understandably frustrated as it was only one month until I had 10 people to accommodate for the hen do. I was disappointed with the customer services of the company. I had no interaction from managers to offer an apology despite me writing two long emails, one to the attention of the managing director.
I don't understand how a company can operate in this way and receive any loyalty from it's customers. I can see from other reviews that this has happened to other people. It seems you can't trust this company that any money you give them for a deposit has any weight and they feel they can cancel people's bookings without any care to the difficult position this leaves people in. I fail to understand why no manager in the company tries to ring customers to offer an apology. I have now had a stressful week trying to rearrange all my plans. I wouldn't risk being let down by this company. It appears they can let you down at the last minute.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 30YogaGirl

Travellers are raving about these Cheltenham hotels

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked a 3 bedroom apartment in Jan 2014 and paid £260.00 deposit which was half the full payment.I phoned approx 8 weeks before our booking date to ask when final payment was due to be told that they would send an email out to remind us 1 month before our stay.I received no further correspondence with them until today when I had an email stating because I was 3 days late in paying the final balance the booking had been cancelled.I immediately phoned to be told that they were full.They are a bunch of liars.and after reading some of the previous reviews I can see I'm not the only 1 they have done this to.
I spoke to a Michael this evening who was totally obnoxious and his attitude was ,'Oh well that's tough but there's nothing I can do' I am going to take legal action against this company

Room Tip: Dont bother,do yourselves a favour
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Debra ann J
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stay here when visiting friends in Cheltenham, we have stayed here a couple of times, both times we stayed in room 5 of the Albion Street apartments. The studio is at the back of the property and is separate from the main building, this is good for us as we can probably be a bit noisy when getting ready so we did not disturb anyone. Both times when we arrived the room was a little cold but as soon as we plugged in the heaters it warmed up quickly enough. The room was clean and well equipped. The first time we stayed here we couldn't get on the wifi but the second this had been rectified. This studio has a double bed and a sofa bed, I slept on the sofa bed and my only complaint is that it is not the most comfortable to sleep on as it is a leather sofa bed where the back cushion drops down to make the bed rather than a pull out, and I kept falling into the gap in between the cushions.

The first time we were told there is no parking so we parked a 10 min walk down the road, the second time we parked on the drive way and had no problems. The apartments are literally a couple of mins walk into the main shopping street.

When we booked online for the first time we went stayed, we were not told that we would have to go to another location to collect the keys, luckily we had a friend who lives in Cheltenham to help us find the main office once we called the hotel to ask where to get the keys. The second time we stayed we booked directly with the hotel and this was cheaper.

We spoke with people in the main building who were not as impressed as us with the accommodation.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Leeds
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here for with an additional 4 people. We needed somewhere for the night under one roof without having to fork out for extra hotel room. This place was perfect for everything. It was like staying in a small house.

I have no complaints generally and it served it purpose as well.

Room Tip: Keypad is a little fidly.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Stafford
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I made a booking with this company in Jan 2014 for a stay in June 2014. In April 2014 the company decided (against my will) to cancel the booking, due to an error on their behalf, the reservation was for one night only. This was a technical error on their behalf, but they wouldn't accept responsibility of offer me service. The best they came up with was 10% off to re-book. Why would I rebook when I booked for one night and now they want me to book 2 nights?

The whole experience has been the worst I've ever dealt with, in all my time of booking of hotels and apartments online.
Never, ever again!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leisa W
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked 3 apartments to sleep 15 people in total. The apartments were all clean and well equipped and had free wi-fi (although the signal was weak in some areas).
I was disappointed that the apartments were all on different floors despite requesting several months ago to have them all together on the same floor.
The access codes made it simple for checking in and the cleaning team were friendly and helpful.
Beds were comfortable and rooms were warm.
Bedding and towels had seen better days and due for replacing and the Venetian blinds were rather tatty in places.
Ample parking for our minibus and only a 15 to 20 minute walk to town centre, or £6-£8 taxi ride.

All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed March 2014