“A ribeye steak to die for . . .”
Review of Bistrot Coco - CLOSED

Bistrot Coco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: New restaurant
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I'm in danger of developing a Trip Advisor dependency.

On a recent trip to Cheltenham our accommodation (Strozzi Palace) and choice of restaurants was totally T.I. led.

On this occasion we'd left our apartment in search of Cafe Rubik or Vanilla. I'd done a quick search on GoogleMaps and worked out the routes to follow. Maybe it was due to the fact that my SatNav dependency has taken over my usual carrier pigeon sense of direction - but we couldn't find either.

However, whilst doing what seemed like a circuit of Cheltenham we'd seen a couple ducking down some stairs into a bistro - so with aching feet and a rumbling stomach we retraced our steps and descended to the basement level Bistrot Coco.

Needless to say, if you have severe walking difficulties you will struggle. I need a stick to get around but had no problems.

It was a Monday evening but the place was buzzing with activity. Following a warm welcome - how nice it is not to be asked if you have a reservation - we were shown to a table.

A good indication of the quality of any restaurant is their house wine. It should always be good yet reasonably priced. Bistrot Coco's didn't disappoint at £16.00

We both went for escargot followed by ribeye steaks with peppercorn sauce.

The snails were great, the steaks sensational. I've travelled to many countries, including the USA where you'll encounter some excellent steaks. To date the best I've ever tasted - on two separate occasions, two years apart - were to be found in a small restaurant in Javea, Spain. The memory of their open-hearth barbecued steaks live on in my memory.

But they now have a serious contender. Coco's ribeye steaks simply melted in the mouth - no exaggeration - mine was so flavoursome and beautifully cooked I couldn't bring myself to use the sauce.

By the time we'd finished we were two very contented diners.

Just £68.85 plus tip.

Even better, I'd found it without the help of Trip Advisor - double result.

2  Thank harleyg98

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We planned to visit this Restaurant a few times whilst walking past the menu board outside which advertised lovely sounding French meals. We finally made it on a sunny Saturday lunch time enticed by the 3 course lunch menu. We sat in the court yard and started our lunch with a glass for Kir Royal followed by moules, confit of duck and chocolate fondant. The food was great and good value for money with the service being excellent. The outside patio area is quite modern looking however the Restaurant inside reminds me of a cozy French Bistro. They also have a a Baroque looking function room upstairs which would be great for a big special celebration. This will become a place where we can go as a couple, with friends or family.

1  Thank foodtasterCheltenham
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were visiting Cheltenham for the weekend, and had just walked into town to have a couple of drinks first, then find a place to eat, when we spotted this restaurant. The staff couldn't have been more obliging. Although they didn't readily have a table for 9, they accommodated us on the lovely terrace (heaters and all - after all, it was July!), and served up our starters there, while we waited for our table to come free. The food was excellent, the staff were delightful and very efficient, and we had a thoroughly good evening. Would definitely recommend it. Inside, it's cosy and quirky, with a real buzz. Can't wait to have an excuse to go back.

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We found this restaurant on Trip Advisor and, as our hotel restaurant was very busy, decided to give it a try.

When telephoning to make a booking the Manager said that only an outside table was available. I jokingly asked for a blanket – more of this later!

The restaurant is situated in a town house in a pedestrianised area of Cheltenham so our taxi driver dropped us off nearby. Access is down some twisty stairs to the basement where the entrance and bar are. The restaurant rooms are located off the bar, one flight of steps outside to the garden and also in the “boudoir” which is on the ground floor of the house and accessible up some stairs.

The place is nicely decorated and quirky and the atmosphere was terrific! There was a large party celebrating a birthday the night we were there and a jazz trio played from around 9:30. It was very busy in the main room.

The bar is decorated with lots of black and white photographs of famous French actresses, singers, actors etc. Even on the ceiling…. Our kir was quickly served with the wine in a carafe to add to the kir in the glass.

Many people were turned away whilst we had a drink at the bar so we were very glad we had booked (it was a Saturday night).

Our table was in the corner of the courtyard at the back. Staff were all very helpful and polite. The table had an umbrella with halogen lamp and YES, there was a blanket provided so I did not get cold! I did note that some other outside diners had blankets too so assume this is a regular request on behalf of customers. There were many people there who were repeat diners. We had several members of staff serving us so left a tip at the bar to be shared at the end of our meal.

Food. My starter was onion tart and it was one of the best I have ever tasted. My husband’s prawn starter was also good.
For a main course I had confit de canard and it was excellent. Very tasty duck with crisp skin. It came with potatoes and green beans. There was a lot of garlic which I liked.

My husband had sea bass for a main and this was a little disappointing, slightly overcooked and he had trouble filleting it. That said the flavour was good.

Desert for me was the chocolate mousse and hubby had crème brulee. His was very good, mine was ok but the texture was a bit strange.

With kirs to start with, a nice bottle of Pouilly Fume plus three courses each, the bill came to a very reasonable £85 for two plus service.

I would love to vist again in the Autumn when the seasonal menu changes....!Thanks for a great night out..

Reviewed 17 July 2011

We went for dinner on a Saturday night. The decor is typically French and there's even a small open-air eating area on a garden terrace at the back of the restaurant. The staff are friendly and the service is great. The menu is imaginative and the staff are knowledgeable about every item on it. There's a good wine list and very reasonable prices for carafes or bottles. We all had 3 courses plus wine and the cost was less than £30 per head....excellent value. A great night out. They also have a pre-theatre menu that is great value, too.

1  Thank Namerof