“Our favourite Cheltenham restaurant.”
Review of Bistrot Coco - CLOSED

Bistrot Coco
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: New restaurant
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We really love Bistrot CoCo and have to resist only eating there and nowhere else. First we usually have a cocktail in The Coco beach upstairs, where I have had the best 'sidecar' that I've ever tasted, before making our way down to the restaurant.

It is like a little bit of Paris in the middle of Cheltenham, the atmosphere is buzzy, the staff are friendly and helpful, with an intimate knowledge of both the menu and the wine list and the service is very good.

The starters are delicious and I struggle to pick just one item, so often opt for the 'assiette de Coco' which is an assortment of three items. There is also a wide choice of mains meat, fish and vegetarian again I struggle to choose because they all sound so yummy. Last time we went I had the 'Navarin of Lamb' which was a delight. The lamb was juicy and tender and melted in your mouth, and it was accompanied by new potatoes, beans, garlic bread and a delicious gravy through which you could taste the delicate seasoning of garlic, herbs and red wine. It was a triumph.

For dessert I had the cheeseboard with a glass of port and my husband had the 'Chocolate tart with Mango ice cream', which he said was a epicurean delight, he also enjoyed some of my cheeses as i was too full to eat them all.

Other diners were keen to talk with us about the meal asking what we had chosen and telling us how much they had enjoyed theirs.

An almost perfect evening, just a slight imperfection was that we had to wait longer than necessary for the bill. However I cannot recommend 'Bistrot Coco' highly enough and would not hesitate to go back again as often as possible.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

The Head and I have eaten here twice before. It has a small but pleasant outside court yard where we have previously sat but it was far too damp for that on this occasion.
The staff were charming and the atmosphere inside was cosy and romantic. It was a Saturday lunchtime and understandably busy, though in no way uncomfortably so, as both the quality of the food and its remarkable price is exceptional.
Thre is a good a la carte menu but we both went for the £10 two course set, which also had 4 or 5 options for each course. I had an excellent ham hock terrine to start followed by a whole trout on the bone, Actaully they had taken the head and tail off but i suspect most people would appreciate that, although personally Im very fond of the head! The whole bill with nearly a litre of house wine was under £40 and it all was really good.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

After many recommendations decided to go here for lunch with a friend. Booked a table which was fortunate as it was rammed full on a Thursday lunchtime. The atmosphere was great - very french and busy - nice surroundings. We were shown to a table and given a small board with the good value 2 courses for £10 menu. The food choices on this were limited but we managed to find something each to settle for. We were somewhat confused by the house wine. You did not seem to be able to order wine by the glass - just by the carafe. The two sizes providing approx 1½ glasses and 2½ glasses respectively.

The terrine starter was fairly reasonable but nothing special. My chicken and cous cous main was very tasty however. We began to be a bit confused as we saw more and more diners served with items not on the menu board we had been given! My companion's pudding choice had been wrongly recorded, but luckily we managed to correct the waitress before she brought the wrong item. The chocolate fondant dessert was delicious. The waiter almost showed us the 'real' puddig menu but snatched it away as we had been eating off the set menu. We pointed out that we had not been given anything but the set menu. As this was our first visit, we were unaware we could order from any other menu. We would have preferred to choose off the a la carte as the choices on the set menu were not great. My friend was most saddened to not be able to go for the duck or the Clafoutis she had spied going past. The waiter apologised with a smile and a shrug but did not seem to care! Throughout the meal the service was slow, perhaps as they were so busy. We had to call to get the waiters attention on several occasions. We parked nearby for 2 hours and went a couple of minutes over - luckily no traffic wardens walked past!

After so many recommendations I had been looking forward to CoCos but were disappointed. We may visit again to try and order from the 'proper' menu, maybe when I have parked for more than 2 hours!

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We ended up here after failing to get a table at the Suffolk Kitchen. The restaurant is best described as cosy, they've got as many tables in as anyone could, that said it does lend a buzzy atmosphere. We ordered a bottle of house wine and I have to say it was very good for the money just a tenner! Starters where excellent, and my wife's main course duck was fabulous, my brill less so but maybe that's due to the fish. For pudding my wife's crème brûlée was one of the best we've tasted!

Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

Coco is consistently good with great food, amazing steak and a wide range of wine.
You won't be disappointed so just go and enjoy.