“Nice meal” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #81 of 440 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$12 - US$31
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don’t do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We’re all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.Located just outside the town centre, Zizzi Cheltenham is located in an old church so benefits from a special atmosphere and beautiful interior. In fact, it’s such a customer favourite that we often host wedding receptions and engagement dinners. We invite our customers to bring along their family and friends to join us in this spectacular double-floored setting, whether it be dining on our ground floor or relaxing with a drink on our upstairs bar! If you’re celebrating something special, see if our private dining area is right for you.And tweet what you eat with WiFi available here (if you’re in to that).
“Nice meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I can only comment on my experience which was good as we were early before the place got busy, before 6pm! As it was quiet the service was very good and the staff very polite. The food was what you would expect for the price and have no complaints as tasted great! The place was lovely and parking was easy. I would definitely go back at an early time as I can imagine it gets busy and with the tables quite close it could get quite loud! Definitely recommended to others... :-)

2 Thank Ratomo

Gloucestershire
“Very disappointing yet again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Myself, daughter and friend went here on a busy Friday evening recently - we were celebrating and called in on the offchance as it is close to home. This despite recent experiences not being good. Always give a place more than one chance is my motto. Never again.

The first thing we were told - it was 9.45pm on a Friday - was "order by ten, the kitchen closes hen" Really?? On payday Friday?Starter was ok cannot really get bruschetta and garlic bread wrong. However daughter's main course arrived Fiorentina pizza with a fried egg on top; egg clearly not cooked runny transparent white mess in the middle. Sent it back requesting another one as this was inedible. Back the same pizza came in five minutes only this time the mess in the middle was hard and microwaved. We challenged the waiter who said "this isn't the same pizza I know this because I ate yours" We were amazed as he had not had the chance to and this was clearly a lie it was indeed opne and the same pizza. Almost funny had we not been hungry! My main arrived some minutes later - not ideal - and the chicken was flabby, white and undercooked. We ate what we could and this really was very little of said pizza or my pasta with chicken, as the kitchen was now "closed" albeit not the microwave, one assumes.

Imagine my surprise when the waiter with the appetiite for raw egg disputed my efforts to reduce our bill which ended in a rather unseemly debate about whether or not the pizza in question should be paid for! Needelss to say I deducted the cost of the pizza anyway and will not be returning to Zizzi Cheltenham.

1 Thank Sharon8187
Gloucester
“As you would expect”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Zizzi’s is exactly as you would expect for a chain restaurant – the food as a whole does what is says on the tin and generally I am happy with it - the mozzeralla and balsamic onion bread is my favourite. I’ve eaten here several times and consistently find the service on the slow side – the drinks in particular always take ages.

On this visit my friend ordered the Fiorentina with a runny egg. Unfortunately, the egg came out raw not runny so was sent back. One of the Management team took the pizza away and asked if my friend wanted the pizza freshly cooked – an offer she accepted. When the pizza came back the egg this time was not raw or runny but rock hard.

The problem was that this was exactly the same pizza but with more spinach and cheese on the top to hide that fact it was. The egg was smushed all over the pizza from where my friend had initiall checked it and funnily enough there was a burnt bit of crust in exactly the same place and the same size. When challenged we were assured it was a different pizza and that the first pizza had been eaten by staff, unfortunately, this didn’t wash and we asked for it to be removed from the bill.

We were a late table and maybe the kitchen was closing and didnt want to make it again, but, if he hadn’t offerred to make a fresh pizza it would have been perfectly acceptable to have the pizza put back in the oven for a minute or two. I hope somebody from Zizzi’s read this and gives some feedback to the staff about not treating their customers like fools.

1 Thank LauraGloucester
Sykesville, Maryland
“Italian in a church”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We went for a business team dinner, over 16 of us. They accommodated an early dinner reservation and were very helpful. The food was very good and plentiful. However, the staff almost ignored us. This was not the case where they were there when we needed them, but we almost always had to signal them for their attention for initial drinks, orders, refills, etc. The restaurant was not very busy, so it might have been a language issue or a shift change. Everyone enjoyed their food, and the ambiance is unique (being inside a remodeled church!)

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Giant_Stride_SCUBA
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Long wait and distracted staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We ended up in Zizzi because our first choice of restaurant was full...it went from bad to worse. Having chosen to wait for a table to be cleared rather than sitting by the door it took a further 10-15 minutes before we were able to sit down. We had anticipated it taking 2 or 3 minutes to clear a table. We had to wait a long time before we could order and then longer still for the dinner to arrive. The drinks arrived at the same time as the dinner and the meals did not arrive at the same time as each other. Our waitress was distracted and ignored/selectively chose not to hear requests for drink top ups and the bill. All in all an unpleasant experience although the food was okay.

• Visited July 2014