“Just right for a cold, tired festival-goer!”
Review of Red Pepper - CLOSED

Red Pepper
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Excellent family run Bistro and Delicatessen shop. Nothing is too much trouble. We tried the mid-week steak and wine promotion - expecations were over eceeded. Chef / owner Richard cooked all to our taste. can only recommend it. Atmosphere not so romantic, but relaxed and functional- bistro style
Hereford
“Just right for a cold, tired festival-goer!”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

A tiring journey, long treks back & forth to literature festival events. What this "Autumn chicken" needed was something hot and somewhere pleasant to relax. Red Pepper ticked every box. I had spiced pumpkin soup and some freshly baked bread. The staff were so pleasant and helpful and welcoming.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great soup and service”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My Dad and I came down from Liverpool last week for the Cheltenham Literature festival and popped into Red Pepper for something to warm the cockles. Soup of the day was a parsnip and coriander which was spot on. A rich creamy soup with subtle but deep lasting flavor of seasoning. I like to cook myself and pride myself on my Leak and potato soup, but this was something really special. On complimenting the Chef he was happy to pass on the recipe which is now a house hold favorite as the cold days draw ever closer. The waitresses were always helpful and reassuring as it was busy with dinners up stairs and down. I look forward to popping in again on our next visit to Cheltenham and perhaps getting another fantastic soup recipe from the Chef.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Very accommodating!”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Every time we visit with our 1 year old daughter, it is never too much for Richard and his team to look after us. There is a back room where we can relax in comfy sofas with a TV which when quiet we can put CBeebies on. Very handy! From cooking wonderful breakfasts to hearty lunches, we always enjoy eating at Red Pepper.

• Visited September 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“At least the chips were alright...”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We went into town, hoping for a nice lunch, having had several good evening meals there before. However, we didn't expect such an poor experience. We both ordered the steak burger, cooked medium. When they came out, unexpectedly smothered in mayonnaise to our disappointment, they were little more than browned. We returned my burger, asking for it to be redone. When it returned, the burger was medium rare and very chewy. Unsurprisingly, we declined dessert and asked for the bill. Despite having sent a meal back, no discount was offered. We suggested that perhaps they could see what they could do and after a very long wait, the bill returned with a measly 80p deducted. The waiting staff were unapologetic until we had paid. Overall, it was an unsatisfactory experience and we will not be returning.

• Visited October 2013
“I admit it, I should have listened to my husband!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Maybe we were in a parallel universe but we visited this cafe for lunch and it was awful, not at all like the positive reviews that I'd read.

The lunch menu was not that inspiring - more pub grub than cafe / deli and my husband suggested going elsewhere but since we were sitting down and had only an hour, we stayed. Big mistake. It took ages for the staff to take our order and we explained that we didn't have that long for lunch. I asked for a jug of tap water which was dealt with by an 'of course' but none appeared and we had to remind them we were waiting for it even though we'd got the other drinks we'd ordered. We then waited well over half an hour for our starter which was an antipasto board so not that complicated. We had to chase the food and it then all arrived at once, mains and starter. The buffalo mozzarella in the antipasto was more like the rubber mozzarella that is used on cheap pizza toppings. The 'rustic bread' with my mains was a cook at home baguette type bread - not at all rustic. After we'd complained, the server apologised that she'd only been working there 2 weeks.

The coffee wasn't bad but I'm struggling to find anything else positive to say. I suppose the location is great and the building is inviting. But otherwise service poor, food uninspired and misleading. Needless to say, we didn't leave a tip.